Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When is the best recommended time to visit St. Tropez?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings. I'm seeking advice from a knowledgeable group of individuals and my searches have brought me here.

A group of friends and I are currently planning a week to two week trip to St. Tropez for 2009 and are unsure of the best time to visit. Originally we had it set for July, but when I read other threads regarding St. Trop in July I shied away from that month.

What we're looking for in our trip is not too complex. We would like to get a taste of the culture, have a nice, unhurried, relaxing, time without having to fight a million and two people to get somewhere.

I am going to the local bookstore to pick up the Fodor's book, but I know that those who know best are the ones who've been there.

We're a tad overwhelmed and any help would be appreciated. Also, we're looking for information regarding how far in advance you can book a hotel.

Thank you.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM

I'm going there in May for the first time, but I've heard from many that it's a great time. Pleasant weather an its not overly crowded. Except that I'll be there for the Grand Prix and CAnnes.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM

May/June or September.
St Tropez is not my favourite place since it is touristy, expensive and the traffic getting in and out is a pain (I was last there early June 2007 and I've been going to the area for years)

20mins inland from St Tropez takes you to a different world.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 02:06 AM

In any case, avoid August. It will be crowded.

July, especially the first half of July, might still be okay, but June is better.

May is also good, swimming in the mediterranean will be possible, but fresh.

September is also good and October as well.

I am often until late October at the Cote d'Azur and we still enjoy water temperatures of 24C.

I find nothing wrong with St. Tropez. The town itsself is a little touristy (but still nice), and the surroundings are great. Ramatuelle is a nice town. Pampelonne is a fantastic beach.

If you choose an accomodation, look also for Cavalaire-sur-Mer. It is just a few kilometers from St. Tropez and has a gorgeous white sandy beach.

There is only one caveat: If you want to drive from St. Tropez to the cultural attractions around Nice, it is quite a way (count with two hours). So a location which is closer to Nice might be more convenient. You will be a little closer in the area of Frejus/St. Raphael/St. Aygulf. From there you can still reach St. Tropez, you are in a couple of minutes at the scenic Esterel coast, and you have good access to the autoroute which leads to Cannes, Nice, Monaco.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM

easy answer NEVER!!!! Its overpriced, overcrowded, full of poseurs and will take hours to drive and park and unless you arrive in a giant yacht you will be treated like you do not exist. Plenty of much nicer places near.

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM

mrgrumpy - you sure are. Jeeze.

We've visited St Tropez many times - often for a 1 or 2 week stay.

After the first week in Sept, the crowds seem to get about 25% smaller each week. There is also a "Music on the Rocks" festival. We've always visited in either June or Sept.

The trick to really enjoying St Tropez is to not be there between about 11:00am (10:00 on market days - Tues & Sat), and 5pm. Use that time to sun on one of the beaches in Pampalonne, visit the small villages, (Bormes, Gassin, Ramatuelle, Grimaud, Collobrieres, la Gard Freinet), or the inland small villages (Cotignac, Tourtour, Lorgues, Aups, Entrecasteaux, etc), Aix, the Esterel, Thoronet Abbey or Chartreuse de la Verne.

After you've stayed there for several days, you'll figure out where the free parking is located.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree with "NEVER"!!

Nice, Antibes, Juan le Pins all far better. The only thing good about it is the name"St. Tropez"-- it sounds exotic, but it is a rip off and in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 01:54 AM

>>>NEVER<<<

Boy, some posters here are as opionioned as flanneruk when he writes about America.

Calm down a bit, St. Tropez is not that bad.

The Cote d'Azur consists of basically three sections of coastline: The Code des Maures, the Cote d L'Esterel and the section between Cannes and Monaco.

The section between Cannes and Monaco is highly developed, with really large cities (like Nice), heavy traffic and lots of museums and other cultural attractions. The beaches there are generally poor, but there are two peninsulas with nice sandy beaches (Cap Ferrat and Cap d'Antibes with Juan-les-Pins).

The Cote d'Esterel (betweeen Cannes and St. Raphael) is very scenic, with impressive red rocks. In the middle is a protected wilderness area where building is forbidden. You will find gorgeous coastline, secluded bays (with pebble beaches, but great for snorkeling) and wonderful hiking trails.

The Cote des Maures stretches from Frejus to Toulon. St. Tropez is in middle of this section. This part of the coast is moderately developed, with wide sandy beaches. This section is most attractive for people who stay for an extended vacation with swimming, snorkeling, relaxing, enjoying good food and sporadic day trips.

St. Tropez used to be a picturesque fishing village. Then the artists came. Then the tourists came. Now, it is somewhat touristy and somewhat crowded, especially in August. But it is still nice to walk along the harbour, sit in a café or visit the Musée de l'Annonciade (with works of Signac, Matisse, Braque and others).

Out of town, you find one of the world's most beautiful beaches, Plage de Pampelonne. Ramatuelle is a beautiful traditional village on top of a mountain on an peninsula.

The other posters are right that you usually do not stay in St. Tropez but in one of the surrounding towns. Cavalaire might be a good choice.

Look on www.viamichelin.com or Google Earth to get an idea of the area.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:44 AM

The best time is end of May-beggining of June. The weather is already in the 80's with no overcrowded beaches. St. Tropez is a beautiful, very walkable, interesting, wonderful town, it is also touristy (hello...!). If I were you, I would split the time in that amazing area. That is, I would use St. Tropez, Nice, and Menton as home bases for 3-4 days each and explore from there. Do not miss the Roman Monument of La Turbie, you could combine it with a visit to Monaco. Take the Upper Corniche road from Nice, stop at Eze, go on to La Turbie, drive down towards Monaco. If you do this in a sunny day, ypu wil remember this day as a perfect day!
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Ok, I was only in St. Tropez for 2 days in mid march. But is was crowded and getting from one place to another took forever. And it was way overpriced and if you weren't in the know, you felt like you were ripped off here and there. I don't think I would go out of my way to get back there.