Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you choose Cassis or St Tropez for daytrip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're staying in Lourmarin for a week in June and would love to hear your recommendation for a daytrip to coast -- with 3 kids... Would you choose to drive to Cassis (about 1 hr) or St Tropez (i think about 1.5 hrs -- but worried about traffic!!)?? Assume Cassis would include a boat trip and not sure about what to do /see in St Tropez? Swimming accessible in either? What are beaches like for swimming?
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:40 AM

Hi,
It seems you will be in Monaco as well on this trip. I don't know anything about St. Tropez, but I think I might liken it to Monte Carlo somewhat.

We have a tour of Provence planned and one of my requirements was Cassis, to see les Calanques, beautiful cliffed inlets. Google it to see how gorgeous they are.

Lucky kids! Have a great time.
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:50 AM

ttt
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:29 AM

I'm struggling to make any comparison between Monte Carlo and St. Tropez as they are vastly different in my opinion. The only similarity I can think of is that both have some gigantic private yachts docked there.

I really liked Cassis, especially if you want to take the time to do a boat trip of the nearby Calanques. But market day (Tuesday and Saturday, I believe) at St. Tropez and a nice seafood lunch along the harbor is a special treat in my opinion and makes for a great day trip. I really don't think the traffic to get there is half as bad in June as it will be in July and August. The market in St. Tropez is one of my favorite -- and most colorful -- markets anywhere in Europe.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:44 AM

St Tropez is nothing like Monte Carlo - can't think of any two places along the Riveria that are so different from each other - except perhaps Cassis & Monte Carlo.

The "famous" beaches in St Tropez are not actually in St Tropez - they are out of town - 20 min drive or so. Not very good swimming options in St Tropez itself unless you're staying at one of the hotels that is on the beach. There are beaches for swimming right at Cassis. Parking is difficult in both towns.

Personally, I like St Tropez a lot more than Cassis - and my wife likes the shopping in St Tropez. It's a slightly bigger village, lots of huge yatchs to glare at, very nice market (as NeoPatrick stated) and great people watching. However, if you want to be close to swimming & a boat trip, I think Cassis would be the best bet for you. Traffic is not that bad in St Tropez in early June, much worse in late June.

Stu Dudley
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:46 AM

been to both and loved both - hard choice. Was surprised in St Tropez folks pronounced it "San Tro-pez and not St Tro-pay if i remember right.
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks all - appreciate the input. I got interested in St Tropez from Stu's previous posts/recommendations - but not sure if Cassis might not be better for the kids..to swim.. so many choices to make from a million great places!

Also, still looking for input for best place to stop for a few hrs on drive from Lourmarin(Luberon) to Monte Carlo the day we leave (Sat)..?? Just FYI - the next part of our trip will be the Cinque Terre ...
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM

if looking for a bevy of topless young women i'd do St Tropez for family swim i'd chose Cassis
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:40 AM

There's topless old women in St Tropez also.

VeeBee - I assume you have my Provence & Cote d'Aur itinerary, which has a very detailed guide of things to do & see between Lourmarin & Monte Carlo. Reiz, lavender fields on the Valensole Plain, Moustiers, Gorges du Verdun on a northern route. Cotignac, Tourtour, Lourges, Chateaudouble, Gorges du Chateaudouble, Bargemon, Seillans, Fayance, Tourrettes, Cabris, Grasse on a more southern series of scenic roads. I don't recommend a coastal route - too much developement.

Stu Dudley
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

palenq - This is why I plan the trips rather than my husband! I definitely won't ask his input on which place to go...

I've seen another thread on the whole topless issue and explaining to kids before - just no big deal and the kids need to get used to the world philosophy - but i know it will be an issue with my 7 & 9 yr old boys...
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Stu - Thanks and i definitely have your itin and have gone thru many times in planning - just a little overwhelmed with the choices for which places to try and hit.. realizing we can't see and do it all in a one morning drive from Lourmarin to Monte Carlo!
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM

VB- topless is everywhere in France but i think it's more a 'show' in places like St Tropez.

My son grew up in France and i often took him to the Piscine - municipal swimming pool where all ages swam - lots of kids and adults and topless was it seemed more oft (or off) than not - even everyone from toddler, teen to ancient girls (who one would think 'put a top on it' - no one batted an eyelash except me.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Traffic to St. Tropez on a market day (especially on Saturday) can be very, very bad. Even in June! Nonetheless I'm a big fan of St. Tropez. I could spend a whole day just strolling, sitting at the cafés and people watching. For nice beaches you will have to go to one of the private beach clubs at Plage de Pampelonne or Plage de Tahiti. As mentioned by Stu, the famous St. Tropez beaches are actually in Ramatuelle, 6 km from St. Trop. The swimming opportunities at those beaches are excellent.

Cassis is very pretty as well but it has a totally different atmosphere than St. Tropez. I really enjoyed the boat trip through the calanques. You can opt for either 3, 6 or 9 calanques. I also enjoyed the road trip Route des Crètes, which goes high above the Cap Canaille cliff (the highest cliff in Europe). There are a few small secluded beaches not too far from the harbour in Cassis: plage du Corton and plage de l'Arène. There are also a few naturist beaches (Pamplemousse is one of them).

So, in brief: both towns have something to offer IMO. If I were a kid, I would like Cassis (and the calanques & road trip) better.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:42 PM

We drove to Casis in the morning, spent a few hours there and then drove to St Tropez for a late lunch. PERFECT DAY!!!!!