Reload this Page >

When is "spring" in UK?

Search

When is "spring" in UK?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 1999, 05:30 PM
Jan

When is "spring" in UK?

Living in northwest Florida, our "spring flowers" have bloomed by mid-April. When do you see new growth in London and immediate areas? What is the weather in March and April? Thanks. <BR>jan <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 1999, 05:39 PM
Lori

Jan, <BR>We've been in the UK a number of times in mid to late April and the flowers are always fantastic, the trees are green and everything looks wonderful (I live in the southwest tho, so all flowers look fantastic to me). Seriously, it's a beautiful time to visit. March is not so great tho, not much in bloom yet. We were there this past April and the tulips, daffodils, cherry blossoms, etc. were simply marvelous. The parks in London are all full of flowers and places like Hampton Court's gardens are truly worth seeing, like wise the gardens in Greenwich Park, etc. Personally it's my favorite time of the year over there. Weather can be tricky, always be prepared for rain (altho we had only one day out of 9 that it rained enough to change our plans and that was no big deal). It does rain tho, so be prepared. Temps can range from cool and chilly (40-50) to 60-65 from our observation, it can do just about anything. We were there once when it hit about 85 the first week of May - freak weather to be sure so go prepared.

Old Nov 7th, 1999, 01:01 AM
Sheila

Nah! They don't do growing things in London. (ducks!) <BR> <BR>Try the Western Isles in Mid to late May for the most stunning flora in Britain. And if you get lucky you will also get stunning weather. As I believe I mentioned elsewhere, I was sunbathing on a beautiful, deserted beach on Colonsay on the 19th May this year.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:39 AM
mark

Hi Sheila, <BR><BR>Found this thread by using the search - <BR><BR>We are planning a trip to the Western Isles this spring (between 8 May to 20 May). As I will be with my mom, who has never been to the islands and also has never been to the UK in Spring (has been every other time of year, just not spring and she arranged specially to come over in spring this time)... <BR><BR>I would appreciate your suggestion re favourite islands, the main criteria being stunning scenery and taking advantage of seeing the spring flowers and plants etc..... Some short, reasonably level walks would be nice. <BR><BR>Is Colonsay a favourite? I was thinking either Colonsay, Mull, Iona etc OR Harris via Skye. Don't want to do too much traveling as my mom gets tired quite quickly, hence it will be one area or the other, will be spending some time in Edinburgh too, so perhaps a week or so in the islands. Would appreciate your thoughts as I although I live in Scotland I have only been to Mull and Skye on previous trips. <BR><BR>Thanks again, <BR><BR>Mark.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:45 AM
davidwest

Well right now its 20 degrees in london (that's 70 in old money). So I would say that it is now. Also British Summertime started on Sunday.<BR><BR>THe parks are very nice with daffodills etc, or the great deer parks (hampton, bushey richmond etc) for bluebells, blossom etc.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:11 AM
Sheila

Mark<BR><BR>What you need to aim for is somewhere with good machair- that's the flat shelly grassy places mostly on the western seaboards.<BR><BR>Colonsay is lovely tho' I've not been that early in the season. So are both Tiree and Coll, and, indeed Islay.<BR><BR>If you're up for it, I'd be inclined to suggest <BR><BR>Skye, then over either to Harris or North Uist (boat from Uig- you could miss Harris out, but if you leave it in you then get the boat from Leverburgh to North Uist.) Wander south and, if you want, take in either Eriskay or Barra or both, then get the ferry to Oban.<BR><BR>If you take a week to do that bit, you could get the Wednesday afternoon ferry from Oban to Islay- from which you could do Jura as well and ome back onto the mainland at Kennacraig. Or take less time in the outer Isles and do a hop to Tiree or Coll.<BR><BR>My favourite islands (so far) are Islay, and the Uists. I don't like Mull apart from Tobermory- tho' I'm well aware that others here would disagree.<BR><BR>Actually Islay would be further down my list of priorities given your aspirations.<BR><BR>Be aware that whilst most islands are pretty, and all have their own character, apart from Skye (and maybe Rhum which I haven't visted) they are not stunning exactly.<BR><BR>On all of them walking can be easy, machair is flat by its nature, and access is not impeded.<BR><BR>Please come back if I can help further

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:23 AM
Ben Haines

Yer wot ? No blooming flahs ? Garn, give us a break. Where you bin ? Like wot Dave West sez, theres flahs all over, and in them titchy front gardens. Turn it up: no more of this hows yer farver.<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:03 AM
Sheila

I did post it 2 1/2 years, ago, Ben. It was a joke then, too<BR><BR>BTW, is that really you?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
hey hey hey

right now baby!<BR><BR>it's lurvely out!!<BR><BR>flowers!! whee!<BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:55 PM
AnneH.

Right now! Hie thee hence!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 12:56 AM
jojo

I dont know what day spring will fall on this year.<BR>Summer is on July 14th this year, from 2.00pm until 4.00 pm. Blink and youll miss it.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:29 PM
charles

The Chelsea Flower Show is usualy around May 20-25. My wife and I were there last year about that time and I got a sunburn in London.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:49 AM
dg

We just returned Sat. and the weather was lovely--temps around 17-20 every day and not a drop of rain. In the week we were there a lot of the trees leafed out and many things were blooming.