Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Whatt would you do if you had 2 weeks in Paris...

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

My husband just suggested we change our plans and stay 2 weeks in Paris instead of 1 and do day trip for 6 of those days. (approx.)

We would also have a week to visit D-day Beaches and Vimy as well as Mont St. Michel and the Loire. (a week should be enough to get a feel for it)

The question is....

WHERE WOULD YOU GO ON A DAY TRIP FROM PARIS?

Where have you gone? Where would you like to return? Where was a waste? Give me your favorites.

Once I told my husband about the answered I got from a previous post, he said we should stretch our trip out over 2 trips...This trip north and next time south...This is so great as I really wanted to get him addicted to European travel...LOL

Thanks for any info.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM

Day trips from Paris:

Chartres, Giverny, Versailles, Troyes, Fontainebleau. Each one would be a separate trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:05 AM

Reims is a good day trip by train -- if you like Champagne.

Rouen is a beautiful city and only about an hour from Paris by train from the Gare St-Lazare.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:12 AM
ira

Hi PB,

Chateau Malmaison,
http://www.chateau-malmaison.fr/

Chantilly
http://www.chateaudechantilly.com/ht...adre_intro.htm

Monet's Garden at Giverny
http://giverny.org/index.htm

St-Germain-en-Laye
http://www.ville-st-germain-en-laye....cto/de/cv.html

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:13 AM

If you haven't been before, two weeks in Paris would be wonderful. You can also do a day tour to the Loire and visit two or three chateaux. Other wonderful options are Giverny, Chartres, Versailles and Reims. There are several really interesting and detailed threads on this forum detailing day trips from Paris.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:14 AM

Separate trips that we have taken from Paris include, Chartres, Giverny, Versailles, Chantilly, and Fontainebleau. All were easily done on our own using the train, and each was a memorable day.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:14 AM

Once upon a time, someone had posted their photos. And in those photos was a picture of a little town in the North (?) called Annecy... I want to see that town.
Also, by train from Paris, I'd do a day trip to Brugges Belgium.
And I second Chartres...
And up to Reuilly (spelling probably wrong) to see Josephine's homes...and the Napoleon exhibit there...
and...the races at Longchamps
and, and, and....
<GRIN> You'll have a WONDERFUL time!
Here's to you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:43 AM

That sounds like a great plan. As to daytrips, I'd add Auvers-sur-Oise, Vaux-le-Vicomte, and Senlis and Chantilly.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM

Often times when I've checked train schedules in and out of Paris there aren't many late night options. I checked Reims. The last weeknight train back to Paris departs at 8:21pm. You wouldn't have time to eat a nice dinner in Reims then catch a train back to Paris. You'd have to eat dinner in Paris

Why are you going to pay Paris prices for hotels and Paris prices for restaurants and not stay in Paris? A day trip or two sure, but 5 or 6?

That's a lot of time spent traveling. For example Reims is 1.5 hours by train. That's 3 hours of your day sitting on a train.

Please tell me you aren't going to rent a car for a week while in Paris to drive in and out. The driving/parking hassles and renting/parking costs of doing that make me cringe. Not to mention the wasted time stuck in traffic jams.

I will admit I'm a bit on the "thrifty" side.

I'd much rather spend 5 days in one area of Paris. Make a loop and spend 2 nights in Reims, 2 somewhere else (Troyes? Amiens?) then spend 5 nights back in Paris in a different location. You'll get a feel for two different parts of the city, say the Latin Quarter and the Marais.

Or spend 10 days in Paris then rent your car and start on the rest of your vacation.

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip in the making. Three weeks will give you plenty of time to settle into vacation mode.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM

Almost all of the usual day trips have been cited. I've been on a few more but those are probably the best for someone who hasn't been there before.

I think this ia a great plan, and don't agree with Indytravel that you should be moving around hotels every few nights just for day trip reasons. I don't think 3 hours a day is a lot on the train (1.5 hr each way) for a major day trip, that isn't that much time and you can be relaxing, looking at your guidebook for planning, etc., and the train. And I don't think you are going to be saving so much money by doing that, nor that saving a little money was a major goal in your travels. Hotels are very reasonable in Paris, as is food.

I am an anti-moving hotel every few days person, though. I really like just being in one place as a base and not packing up, checking in and out, settling bills, and everything. In fact, you will spend as much time doing that as a little time on the train, probably more, I think.

I don't like champagne at all, but still enjoyed Reims. I've been to Malmaison (it is in Rueil) and would not recommend that as a day trip for a first-time. I'd put Auvers-sur-Oise at the top of my list, along with Fontainebleau, Chantilly, Rouen, Giverny, Versailles and Chartres. Would not put Vaux-le-Vicomte, Malmaison nor St-Germain-en-laye at the top (although St-Germain-en-laye is a very easy trip). I'd rather go to Lyon or Brussels (even though about 2 hrs each way) than Vaux-le-Vicomte.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:12 PM

Hmm....What would I do if I had two weeks in Paris? I would think I'd have died and gone to heaven. Green with envy here but wishing you a fabulous trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM

I can tell you what we did with two weeks in Paris May, 2002. First, we stayed in one hotel (Grandes Ecoles), and we very quickly began to feel as if we were staying in someone's home. Other guests came and went, and we were still there. During the two weeks, we felt somewhere between tourists and locals.
We made rough plans in advance of what we wanted to see and over the two weeks pretty much covered our A list. But, even during a two-week period, we didn't see and do everything we had hoped.
After the first few days of hectic activity, we realized that we couldn't keep up that pace for two weeks, so we slowed down a bit. We spent more time just sitting in cafes and parks and the like...and loving it.
Over two weeks, we did have enough time to satisfy our thirst for museums--a full day at Orsay, two half days at the Louvre, plus several smaller ones.
As for day trips, our original plans called for 3 or 4 over the 2 weeks. We ended up doing just 2--Giverny (our definite first choice) and Versailles. The two we didn't get to were Chartres and another castle (we never did finalize which one that would).
Two weeks really a great time frame for Paris.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. It sounds like 2 weeks in Paris would be great. Also a week to tour the northern part of France for a taste of the region.

Sounds great.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:32 AM
tod

Well I HAVE got two weeks in Paris (Oct) but can only tell.....when I get back! And I am moving hotels.....three times - sorry cristine! I would be so absolutely bored with one enviroment for 14 days. Have one day trip in mind and that is Giverny. I am hoping to find the "unexplored" Paris mostly.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Sannois can easily be reached from Paris. That's where you will find Utrillo Valadon museum. That's the house where he lived the last years of his life.
Vaux Le Vicomte, the inspiration behind Versailles. Go and hear the stories about D'Artagnan and the Man with the Iron Mask.
Chantilly - beautiful castle.
Two cemeteries themselves are like museums, Pere Lachaise and Montparnasse. Many, many famous people, poets, painters, musicians, writers, composers, are buried there. Jim Morrison, too.
Other sights in Paris include Rodin museum, Dali museum, Balzac's house, Victor Hugo's house, Marmottan Monet museum and Jacquemart Andre museum.
Go and enjoy the Jardin du Luxemburg.

Enjoy your trip!