Search

day trip from Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trip from Paris

Hi there,

This is the first time that we and and another couple are going to paris for 5 days. Theres so much we have heard about the french countryside that we were hoping to make a day trip and be back by 10pm the same day. There are a list of places suggested but we are very confused on which one place to narrow down to. We are hopefully looking for a place that we could drive down to, but taking a rails no issue either. Should be scenic ofcourse, but hopefully lively! Really want to make this day count!

Pls do suggest, as i am very very confused!
xxx

P.S. We are travelling without kids!
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 04:15 AM

A beautiful medival town not far from Paris, Provins. Pick up the book An hour from Paris by Annabel Simms. For a first trip and only 5 days I do not know if I'd even leave town. We go for at least 2 weeks at a time every year at least once a year and never fit in a day trip
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 04:15 AM

It depends somewhat on what time of year you will be going to Paris. If in the summer, Monet's gardens at Giverny are lovely. We like to visit Chartres - the cathedral is marvelous. A trip to a chateau in the Loire is possible in a day. If you like champagne, Reims is a popular destination. And there is always Versailles. All are accessible by train.

If you will be in Paris for only 5 days, I don't suggest more than one day trip. We can suggest but you have to make the choice.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 04:25 AM

With only five days in Paris you might not want to leave. However, we loved Rouen and that would probably be my first pick. Chartes is amazing--really amazing--and you can do that in a morning. Provins is also great and again, if you go early, you can be back in the city in no time.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 04:51 AM

There are loads of places that make great day trips from Paris that are easily reachable by train that are lively and lovely. Rouen, Provins, Giverny and Chartres are all good candidates. Fontainebleau is also good and you might be able to combine that with a visit to Barbion or Moret-sur-Loing. North of Paris you could combine the château in Chantilly with a visit to the nearby medieval town of Senlis. Laon is a hilltop medieval town north of Paris and Compiègne is a former royal town north of Paris. If château interest you there's always Versailles, Vaux-le-Vicomte or Pierrefonds. Then there are still places a bit further from Paris that are easily reached by the TGV trains such as Reims, Nancy, Metz, Strasbourg, Lille or even The Loire. These are some of the best known and easiest day trips to do from Paris by public transport. There are loads of other secondary sites that are also worthy of visiting but I would start with some research on these places and pick up a couple of guidebooks to assist you as well.

All of these towns/châteaux have official websites where you can find out lots more. Just google the words "site officiel Versailles" or "office de tourisme Moret-sur-Loing" and this will bring things to the top of your search. Most of the websites also have English versions.

If you've never driven abroad before it might be easiest for you to stick to public transport. If you do want to drive there are so many more places you can see and explore but one day car rentals do come at a premium. If you drive I also suggest using GPS but especially make sure you buy Michelin maps of the scale 1:200,000 for whatever region you will drive in. You can really get off the beaten path if you drive and I can give you loads of suggestions but I think you should decide on whether you want to drive or use public transport first.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM

Renting a car for a single day is usually a bad value - same $$$ as renting for about 3 days. So figure that into your equation. Search this site for hundreds of threads on day trips from Paris.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 11:29 AM

I agree with some of the other posts, if this is your first time in Paris and you only have 5 days, you should spend the entire time IN Paris! But, if you really would like to see the sights outside of the City, then Versailles is what I would recommend. It is the ultimate French château and has lovely gardens. Plus, getting to Versailles is an easy train ride, so you won't have to worry about a rental car or driving in France.