Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite Ireland antiquity site?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which site is your favorite Ireland antiquity site? (ex: dolmem, fort, stone cross, stone circle, etc.)
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:47 PM

I am not an overly spiritual person, but standing on the Hill of Tara, at 9am, sans any other humans, I could feel the soul of all of Ireland rush through me... it was an incredible experience. <BR><BR>I just stood on the hill and surveyed what looked like the whole island laid out before me. It wasn't, of course, but that's what it looked like. There were waves of subtle power pushing through me.<BR><BR>I went back later for the official tour, but it wasn't nearly as profound. Perhaps the chatter of people killed it, or it being warmer, but it wasn't there anymore
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Ardfert

Most people would go for Newgrange which is about 5,000 years old or the buildings on The Rock Of Cashel which are little more than a thousand.

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:27 AM

For me, it was Drombeg Circle...not the grandest of stone circles, or even a much visited one...just a small area in West Cork. You know how some places elicit emotion just standing there? Well, I felt a calming serenity, an enjoyment of who and where I was, a peaceful tranquility...I simply enjoyed the moment, and have found myself grounded by its memory when I'm stressed by big-city realities of life!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Oh my gosh, what a hard question to answer. Just reading everyone's replies here sent chills down my spine - Ireland is SO SO spiritual and just warms the soul... I think GreenDragon and Kathcoll both said it perfectly!!<BR><BR>For me, the Rock of Cashel is the one place that immediately enters my mind when I need to escape my real life and go back to that sublime feeling I had in Ireland. We saw the Rock very late in the evening in the late spring, almost 10PM, right before closing. The sun had just set and the sky was filled with pinks and purples and deep navy blues. There were only us and a handful of other people and it was SO quiet and still. It transformed my life, truly. I have a picture of it hanging right on my wall above my desk. Just looking at it makes me smile.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Try Carrowkeel, north of Boyle. Smaller than Newgrange, but devoid of most of the scars of tourism. <BR><BR>Bill
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

One of my favorites, especially a few years ago, was the Poulnabrone Dolmen in Burren - when you could actually walk-up to it. Standing there next to this prehistoric site, with the Burren landsacape surrounding me, and some darkish clouds overhead is certainly an unforgettable memory. However, nowadays, I believe, you can no longer walk up to it - (sign-posts, fences, etc. along the road-way).
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:51 PM

Actually, you can still walk up to the Poulnabrone Dolmen, or at least you could as of this past spring. The Irish Heritage group have someone out there watching now so no one runs off with any of the stones. <BR><BR>Makes an impressive site and a classic photo op when the light is casting good shadow.<BR><BR>Still, my favorite is Glendalough on a rainy day.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Kudos to Bill for noting Carrowkeel. This is a true &quot;back door&quot; historic attraction, one that is refeshingly free of the hyper-organized, &quot;bus-'em-in, bus-'em-out&quot; tourism (e.g., Newgrange). <BR><BR>Reaching the Bronze Age Carrowkeel requires scrambling up a hill, but it's well worth the effort, as its collection of cairns and dolmens are worthy of exploration and the views of the Sligo countryside are inspiring. <BR><BR>A couple more &quot;back door&quot; historic sites are both located in County Fermanagh:<BR><BR>Particularly compelling are the mysterious stone carvings located on White Island, located off the beautiful lower Lough Erne. The carvings are mounted on the wall of a ruined abbey, and its these carvings, combined with the isolated setting, that makes White Island such a noteworthy attraction.<BR><BR>While exploring Lough Erne, don't miss the equally mysterious and fascinating Janus figure, located on Boa Island. This stone carving is situated in an ancient Christian burial ground, and it's generally considered to be a representation of a god-hero. When I first encountered the Janus figure, I had the entire setting to myself, a time of peace and contemplation.<BR><BR>Finally, a trip to Ireland isn't complete without a visit to the monastic site on Skellig Michael, located off the Kerry coast. As suggested by The Rough Guide to Ireland, Skellig Michael (named after the saint who helped St. Patrick rid the island of venomous serpents by driving them over the island's 700-foot cliffs), is &quot;a wild, cruel place, an awesome sanctuary of devotion...&quot; <BR><BR>Pack a large lunch, bring seasickness meds, sunblock, good hiking gear, pray for fair weather, and set sail for Skellig Michael.<BR><BR>Best of luck. <BR><BR> <BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Hello to all...All of the above! There are so many. But, my thoughts always go back to Killaloe on the Shannon- home of Brian Boru, High King of Ireland circa 1000A.D. I realize this is not as ancient as others, but so important in Ireland's history. His ringfort that we found on the Shannon, standing there and imagining the life that went on in the 10th century; the Church at Tuamgranry (north of Killaloe), and knowing he walked thru the door; finding the Brian Boru Tree, after hunting down roads and paths for hours. What wonderful memories.<BR> Holding my breath for good weather in May on the Ring of Kerry, for we are planning on Scellig Michael...Helen
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Knocknakilla - atop Musheramore in the Boggeragh Mountains, between Macroom and Millstreet, Co. Cork. Standing stones, stone circles, stone rings and stone rows. One a little, narrow dirt roads that might see four cars a day, but near Millstreet Country Park and St. John's Holy Well, also near Kilmedey and Drishane Castles, if your interest lays in that direction. The views from the road is life altering. There are a dozen or so megalithic 'structures' in a small, fenced-in square, about fifty feet off the road, in a farmer's field. There is a &quot;baffle&quot; gate, to keep the farmer's sheep inside the field and off the road but the site's fence only keeps the larger sheep from the stones, so watch your step.
No toll collector (not even an &quot;Honor&quot; box. No lines and no tour buses. A little hard to find, but ...
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:00 PM

From a distance the little knob on the top of Knocknarea in Sligo looks so small. If you take the time to climb the mountain you will be amazed by how huge the cairn is. It boggles the mind as to how all those rocks were hauled up the mountain to create such a massive tomb for Queen Maeve or whoever is buried there. A fitting royal burial place. The views are amazing if you get a clear day.

Glendalough may seem prosaic because it is visited so much by tourists. But what a setting! Mountains, lakes, forests, pathways, rivers, a holy well, a waterfall, as well as all the ancient stones, buildings, round tower, cemetery and memorials. I like to visit it very early in the morning when the visitor's centre is closed. There is something absolutely magical about being alone at Glendalough with only ghosts of the past for company. You can almost see St. Kevin with his birds and white deer.

The Rock of Dunamase is a miniature Rock of Cashel. Very quiet and off the beaten path, the ruins of a castle and stronghold crown a steep hill. Extensive views and a dramatic ambiance without another tourist in sight. And it's free.

Better stop there.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:15 AM

Ever see a fairy fort? I love the old pagan places. I know people who have dolmens, Fairy forts and the remains of a small castle on their land. There are a lot of small interesting things to see that would only be known by locals. There are several &quot;wells&quot; that are believed to be healing i.e I think there is a st Brighid's well. My mother always goes for that sort of thing. I think they were pagan places that were given a christian connotation to wipe out the pagan meanings.

I still like newgrange as well. The inside is amazing and it was set up with cameras and shown on TV for the millenium at the winter solstice. It was amazing.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Glendalough and the Rock of Cashel are truly amazing. There's a small ruined abbey near the Rock, set off by itself in a cow pasture, that's very haunting. When we explored it we were the only ones there (along with eight or nine cows!). I think it's called Hore Abbey...
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:32 AM

Boa Island (they call it an island, but you drive onto it) on Lower Lough Erne. In Caldragh cemetary on the island with two double-faced carves stone figures.

It's hard to find (unless it's now better signposted), but worth the effort. It's in the middle of some fields. A bull started to charge me last time I went, but I'd still go back.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:37 AM

Kilmakadear on the Dingle Peninsula. It might have affected me more because we used the oath stone to renew our vows but it felt so magical to me. It gave me the sense that the ones who came before were still there, a strong feeling of connection to the past.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:59 AM

..Dun Angus&quot; on Innishmore..
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:05 PM

I concur with Newgrange and Rock of Cashel, but equally impressive to me was the Gallarus Oratory, on the Dingle Peninsula. Built over 1000 years ago, with no mortar, just corbeled stones. It is one of the best preserved early Christian Church buildings in Ireland.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM

It's hard not to say Glendalough -- particularly when you are fortunate to be there with hardly any other people.

One of my other favorites is the pair of 8th/9th century high crosses (supposedly some of the oldest in Ireland) in the cemetery at Ahenny -- in an absolutely idyllic setting in the middle of a cow pasture.