Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you were an artist in Provence, what would you paint?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am an artist visiting Provence ( alas, not the Cote D'Azur, this time!) in Septmber/October. I work primarily in watercolor and plan on bringing camera, sketch books, and some paints and paper, though I'll do most of my painting when I return home. My question to all you Fodorites that know Provence so well is: do you have any special places or vistas that a visitng artist might miss? Clearly, what one person thinks beautiful or interesting might not be so to another. For example, on a trip to Italy, in addition to scenery and lots of small perched towns, I photographed store windows, gardens, and toilets. I always look at the wonderful faces in cafes, the birds and flowers in the parks, and the changing faces of children.

What would you paint if you could?
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 09:28 AM
cmt

I used to draw, but not paint. If I had plenty of time to wander around and draw, I'd draw the oldest olive trees, the old men playing boules, the people working on an olive harvest, the barren craggy vertical rocks (forgot what they were called). For painting, I might pick scenes with masses of wildflowers, towns in late afternoon early evening light when the shadows are sharp and the light is amber, and seascapes in a certain odd semicloudy light when the air is green.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 09:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I love Provence so much, I'd want to paint everything!

to love Provence is to live
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

I love drawing as well, and actually, started out working in black and white before moving to color several years ago. Since I won't have unlimited time, and I'll be traveling with my non-artist husband, I'll probably photograph lots and work at home. I loved your ideas, cmt. Cigalechanta, I have seen your posts a lot and know how much you love Provence. You've been so very helpful to us all on this forum. I think I remember that you're a Bostonian (as I am- well, a suburban Bostonian)- is that right? As a Provence lover, do you have any special thoughts?
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 09:58 AM

Yes, I'm in Boston but now in Cambridge.
I take alot of photos of cats and dogs I meet, I love the display of flowers on the windows and the bridges. I find those heavy wooden doors beautiful often adorned with studs. The views from the terraces looking across to the beautiful farmers fields that like like a quilted blanket.'The lonely cabanes in the middle of the field where the fam worker eats his lunch out of the sun.
The lovely hand-painted cadren solaires on some homes, The rideau bois, those beaded curtains in the dorways, the pigeinniers with the white doves peering out at me. The old lavoirs, some still in use.
Do you have a month?
Are you works on display anywhere for me to see?
I have a Ruth Cobb watercolor.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:29 PM

How about St. Cirq buying a new property?
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:44 PM

justretired. Where are you located?
And have you paintings of Provence?
I forgot to add my love for the campaniles, those lacy wrought iron bell towers that allow the mistral to blow through without damage and those tetes de Grotesque, those gargoyle heads above the troughs and the magnificent fountains in the village centers.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:50 PM

In addition to the fountains, I would paint windows, doors and balconies, markets, especially the fruit and/or flower displays under market umbrellas, and the villages, such as Gordes and Rousillon, from a distance.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 02:06 PM
sandi

Everthing, of course.

As you drive along the roads, just the plane trees are amazing; the vineyards off to the side; old building; all the Roman "stuff"; the cobblestone streets; fields of flowers; yes, to doors and windows; the cragy mountains; fountains; churches; people - old, young; animals - dogs and cats; sunrise and sunsets; the markets with colorful spices and provencel fabrics; waterwheels and waterways; even the autoroutes.
Have your pick!

And manhole covers are great to photograph anywhere in the world. I have a friend that has a collection of these that are outstanding.

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 02:12 PM

I would head to Borme-les-Mimosas and paint just about anything in that picturesque town.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 02:14 PM

Mimosas! My favorite flower except there, they bloom in February.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM

Ahchoo!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas. As an artist, I think that I am quite observant, but clearly, I'll have lots to look for in September.

Cigalechanta, I live in Wayland and have been drawing and painting for about 20 years. ( I am a biologist and social worker by training) Currently, I am not showing anywhere, but work on commissions and from my home.
I initially concentrated on animals and flowers, finding beauty and humor in the natural world. I have also worked on architecture, people, and landscapes, and like sculptural mixed media collages.

I have been to France twice before, once to Paris and the Dordogne and once to Provence, but have not painted there. Now that my husband is retired, I expect we'll travel to France often- he speaks French fluently ( actually, he also speaks Spanish, Italian, and some German), and I'm a low intermediate. In fact, early in our vacation, we're spending an intensive week studying French in Roanne(about an hour from Lyon) at Chateau de Trois Ponts so that, hopefully, I can make the beginning transition to speaking more comfortably.

We hope to spend a great deal of time driving small roads, visitng the towns you all speak of, going to markets, and just absorbing the Provencial world. So, any ideas are more than welcome. Keep them coming. I've looked up the towns on the map and my husband is already adding them to his PDA!

Thanks,

Margret

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:17 PM

I have a feeling that many people who are not artists are compelled by the beauty of Provence to try and paint their favorite sights, hating to have to leave it and come home without it ~
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:19 PM

justretired,

http://www.acadiaworkshopcenter.com

You might enjoy this looking at this ~
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:21 PM
ira

Hi just,

If you google "Van Gogh Provence" you might get a few ideas.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:12 PM

margaret, great, We are retired also. Do you have any of the paintings stored on line to send me at Hotmail? I'd love to see your work. My husband is from nearby Lincoln, originaly and maybe, you and I can meet for a glass of wine when in town.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Cigalechanta- My husband is a computer scientist, and yet, I haven't gotten around to putting slides on-line. I'd love to talk art and/or Provence, and meet for a glass of wine. My daughter now lives in Davis Square and we go into town often. If you'd like, send me your email address and we can continue this without using up Forum time. Fodorites, I don't mean to exclude anyone- it's just nice to have a local connection.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 05:08 PM

my email to you bounced?
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

I got an email at 9:26 from someone that i think might have been you, Cigalechanta. The person's husband is retired form the Boston Globe- is that you Cigalechanta? If so, your email did not bounce.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -