Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is It Easier To Find Big Foot Than A Rude Irish Person?

Feb 17th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

I have read lots of forums about how rude the French can be to American tourists, but have not seen a single posting on the Irish being rude to Americans.

Has anyone experienced rudeness in Ireland?
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:16 PM

They are famous for being helpful and congenial. The best I have found in Europe.
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Have visited Ireland for a total of 30 days and can only say the nicest things about the Irish. I lost my camera in an Irish post office a few years ago. When our tour bus reached the next destination a few hours away a gift shop employee heard me mention the loss to my husband. He got out a telephone book and helped me locate the out of town post office and went so far as to call and inquire if anyone had turned in my camera. I think that's one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for us. We never did get the camera back but it was so nice to see someone so genuinely interrested in helping us!
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:03 PM

I have never experienced rudeness from an Irish person. They are genuine, kind and generous and have good senses of humor. I don't know why some places have so many people who either feel it is necessary or feel they are justified to be rude to strangers.
Give me Ireland because it is beautiful and so rich in history and the Irish are beautiful too.
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:57 AM

My impression is that Irish in Ireland (as opposed to Irish emigrants elsewhere in the world) are friendly. Those that have contact with tourists are also friendly. However, normal office politics and evilness is certainly present in Ireland. There are also some Irish who believe it is acceptable to blow up a bomb in a public place. That's not friendliness.