Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the most economical way to get from Frankfurt to Wurzburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
PJK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rather not pick up a car the day we fly into Frankfurt. Instead I want to take the train to Wurzburg and probably pick up a car the next day. I am trying to decipher how to use the Bayern ticket to my advantage. What is the shortest point to point ticket I can buy that will then get me into the Bayern ticket area? I hope I am making sense here! Is the amount I would save by going point to point and then picking up a Bayern ticket worth it? I think I have figured out that a ticket purchased in Frankfurt that takes me all the way to Wurzburg is about 27 Euros. That seems a lot for the distance involved. There are two of us traveling together. Thanks for your help. I am following the other related thread about Bayern tickets. Thanks for the good hints on there about when to insert my card and waiting for both the receipt and ticket. PJK
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Kahl am Main would be the first station in Bavaria.

From the Frankfurt Airport to Kahl using S-Bahn and regional trains would be 6.60 EUR per person. Add the Bayern-Ticket for two at 27, and you would be paying 40.60 to get to Wuerzburg.

A regular ticket on regional trains from Frankfurt Airport to Wuerzburg would be 23.40 per person, or 46.80. This first two options would take about 2 and a half hours.

An IC train would cost 27 per person and take 1-1/2 hours. An ICE, costing 33 per person takes about the same amount of time.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM

WALK.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM

We always have comedians.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM
yk

It's probably not worth the savings to take the longer option. Just take the IC train and be done with it. I don't think it's that unreasonable to pay €27 for a 1.5 hr train ride on an IC train. You know, a 1.5hr ride on Amtrak from Philadelphia to NYC costs $60!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Give me a break, after many years on this forum, I just cannot believe these questions. How do these peopkle even leave their houses in the AM? unbelievable.