Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the best thing you bought in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 04:29 AM
Claire

I'll start: 1) cute little tea spoons w/ colorful handles...found in the Marais. <BR>2) A classic Hermes carre plisse. Ok, your turn now.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 04:43 AM
mariacallas

That would have to be vacuum packed truffles for all of my foodie friends - who then invited me to eat what they cooked with them. <BR> <BR>Next would be the earrings I always buy from Cecil et Jeanne. Those are great Christmas presents. I am leaving in two weeks for Paris. This time I will buy Christmas ornaments - maybe eiffel towers! <BR> <BR>One year I bought all of the fabric for my bedroom redo in PAris. I had to carry about 100 pounds of the stuff in bags - paid a ton of tarrif (sp) but no one has any like it- at least not here. <BR> <BR>Pour moi - I always buy a nice handbag - something that screams- "I went to Paris" - hot pink leather or lime green patent - quelque chose tres chic bien sur

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 04:47 AM
mariacallas

Oh, and this time I will buy some art supplies from Sennelier. Sennelier is the guy who Cezanne (or was it Gauguin) helped to choose colors for his line. They have amazing pastels - that's my Christmas present. I got some of their oil paints and they are amazzzzzing.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 04:48 AM
martha python

Bibs at Pylone so my niece and nephew could be hip and trendy as they ate mashed bananas.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:08 AM
Jen

My Longchamp purses - I love them, and using one of them everyday keeps me thinking about Paris. <BR> <BR>Plus - they were 1/2 the price they are in the US!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:18 AM
cdf

Jen and I must shop together! I too buy Longchamp bags, this past trip was Gucci also~I always get some pieces of Provencal ceramics from a place on rue Jacob,love the colors.And I try to find one piece of clothing that noone sells in the US..better found in the boutiques in the Marais and so much more fun searching there than in a mall! Also-sunglasses-they are ever so hip

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:44 AM
Renee

My desire is to purchase an authentic French painting. Where should I look for these artists?? I can't wait to buy a lovely piece of canvas to take back home with me!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:45 AM
Jen

cdf - yes, we must shop b.c I just was looking through my Paris Access book and circled the Gucci store on Rue Royale so that I'll stop there on my trip in December! How ironic! <BR> <BR>Oh - I forgot - I always go to a G20 supermarket and purchase all the Persillade (St. Lucie brand) I can - it's a spice that is amazing, and you can't find it anywhere except France. The G20's carry this brand, and I get to cook with it all the time. It's a mixture of parsley, onion, garlic, lavender (it's not herbes de provence) and it goes with veggies, steak, chicken, everything!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:47 AM
cdf

That reminds me~~we bought a painting for our anniversary in a place on the Seine, on the Left Bank.It was not too expensive,it is lovely and every time we look at it we think about that trip, and the pleasure of buying it from the gentleman that ran the gallery.C

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:02 AM
elena

Wonderful red Mephistos that are not imported to the US; fun student fountain pens (work well and are inexpensive); pistachio oil at J. LeBlanc; and flatware at A. Simon - we think of Paris when we sit down to dinner.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:24 AM
Maribel

Claire, <BR>Great ideas! <BR>Make that yet another vote for Longchamps-bought two of their attractive, super practical, huge fold up handbags that hold virtually everthing (guide books, maps, cameras, folding umbrella...)and still look stylish, and at half the price of Saks. My best purchase ever!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:29 AM
elvira

Salt from the Gueronde (both the regular stuff and the fleur); I mean, this salt has FLAVOR... <BR> <BR>Jamaican Blue Mountain; hog heaven for a coffee lover. <BR> <BR>Gault miniatures (I try to buy one each trip - eventually I will have a little teeny weeny Paris in my house) <BR> <BR>YSL suit I bought in a charity thrift shop for $30&lt;--this is my best buy... <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:38 AM
Charlie Girl

Jen, cdf and Maribel: Where do you buy the Longchamps bags at half the American price? I would love to buy one on my next trip.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:44 AM
cdf

I buy my Longchamp at either Galleries Lafayette-the detax is easier there, or at the Longchamp store on the Left Bank.The Gucci was at the Gucci store and on the Ille St Louis there is a store that carries great bags with made in Paris labels but not names that I know, that are beautiful and even less expensive~I got a navy blue epi leather(like Hermes) for $120 USD..In case it doesn't show-I am a litle bit of a purse freak-have to buy them wherever I go

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:28 AM
Maribel

Charlie Girl, <BR>I bought mine at the Longchamps Right Bank store on the Faubourg-St-Honore. They had a nice selection, but I did want a camel one as well for practical reasons-could only find navy and black plus all the "in" colors (orange, pink, lime green), of course! I did finally find one in camel in Aug. at the Madrid airport duty free Aldeasa shop. I didn't think about doing some comparison pricing at the Paris dept. stores. Next time I'll check Bon Marche and G.L. Thanks for that tip!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:34 AM
Wendy

Without a doubt it's the beautiful sky blue full length opera coat I bought last spring! I use to always stock up on L'Occitane products but now they opened one here in Seattle so I don't have to. Also wonderful tins of goodies from Fauchon's!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:36 AM
Susan

My beautiful Lalique elephant.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:39 AM
Jen

Charlie Girl: <BR> <BR>Got mine at Le Bon Marche department store...here's an example of my last 2 purchases: <BR> <BR>A lovely black leather shoulder bag that retails in our Longchamp store here in Boston for $285 I got at Le Bon Marche for 990FF, or $141 at a rate of 7FF to 1 USD. <BR> <BR>Got a canvas bag (like their nylon ones but with better material - did not find this one in the US) for 550FF or $78. <BR> <BR>YIPPEE!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 08:09 AM
Renee

Cdf, <BR> <BR>Do you recommend that I search around the Seine River for paintings to buy and bring home? Any other places that I should look?

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 08:49 AM
Jen

Renee, You might want to pick up a map of Paris called 'Artwise Paris' - same people that make 'Streetwise' maps, but on the Artwise ones, they have gallery walks mapped. <BR> <BR>On my map of Paris, these streets in the 6th have the most galleries on them: <BR> <BR>rue Bonaparte <BR>rue des Beaux Arts <BR>rue de Seine <BR>rue Visconti <BR>rue Jacob <BR> <BR>I've been through most of the galleries on these streets, and there is quite a range in type of art as well as price. <BR> <BR>At the end of Bonaparte and Seine on the quai Malaquais, there's a very nice gallery - Galerie Breheret - and it carries some lovely fine art. There is an artist - Guy Charon - who's work is shown there. Our in-laws were kind enough to buy one for us on one of their trips to Paris (we saw his work and loved it when we were 26 and couldn't afford art yet). He does oil and watercolors and is quite popular in Paris. <BR> <BR>Galerie Le Breton on rue Dauphine is nice too. <BR> <BR>I hope you find something you love!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -