What's the best Loire Chateaux?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I are travelling through France in September and stopping off around Amboise in the Loire Valley as we head from Paris to the Dordogne.

As we only have one day in the Loire region - what chateaux would people recommend we visit?

Amboise
Azay-le-Rideau
Blois
Chambord
Chaumont
Chenonceaux
Cheverny
Chinon
Usse
Villandry

During a family holiday in the 80's I went to Villandry and Chenonceaux. I particularly remember Chenonceaux because it beautifully crosses the river. However I'm now travelling with my partner who hasn't been to the Loire before - and I'm not sure whether to go back to Chenonceaux or try somewhere else...

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:04 AM

I would certainly suggest that you return to Chenonceaux. It's probably the best. I would eliminate Chambord - too monstrous IMHO.

I think Azay is outstanding and Chinon, which sits on a promontory and in ruin, with the nice town below, is different from the others and is very much worth the visit.

I can recommend a lovely B&B near Azay if you'd like.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:10 AM
DAJ

Tuck,

Whats that B&B you'd recommend?
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:22 AM

It depends on what you like. I have been to all these except Cheverny.
Chenonceaux is my absolute favorite--it is really pretty with huge grounds, and it is easily accessable from Amboise.
If you like gardens, Villandry is a must--the chateau itself isn't that impressive however.
Blois has a wide variety of archetectural styles which in interesting.
I don't like Usse much. Chinon is wonderful as far as history--it is really more like a ruined castle than a chateau however.
Amboise is very impressive from the outside--inside not as impressive. In the town of Amboise, Clos Luce is worthwhile if you are at all interested in Leonardo di Vinci's inventions--they have a lot of them reconstructed, and some actually work. My boys loved it.
In June, Chamont-sur-Loire's actual chateau was closed for repairs the day we went--very disappointing. The grounds were open, and they were actually charging people entry fees and not telling them the chateau itself was closed. That left a bad taste in my mouth. They did give us back our fee when I demanded, but I thought it was pretty brazen not to advise people upfront that the chateau was closed.
Azay-le-Rideau is very nice--smaller than some of the others, but I like it a lot.
Chambord is massive.
As you are staying in Amboise, my advice would be to visit Chenonceaux, Amboise and Clos Luce--that will be a lot for one day.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:45 AM

By coincidence I've posted this on another thread today...

Elisabeth Minier and her husband Pascal have artfully renovated a farmhouse in a village named Cheille, just minutes from Azay-le-Rideau. She's a delightful person and hostess. You'll find her at

www.lagrangebleue.com or [email protected]

You'll enjoy your stay with her!
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 08:02 AM

I would see Chambord - the biggest - and Chenonceaux - the prettiest setting.

However, since you are stopping off in Amboise, it would be easier to see just Amboise and Chenonceaux.

Several hotels in Amboise have been recommended on this site
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 08:41 AM

I have been to Chambord, Chenonceaux, Saumur and Angers. I liked them all and each for a different reason. I would also recommend a return visit to Chenonceax. Chambord is exceptional in a GRAND way. Here is a web site where you can check on the other French Monuments: http://www.monum.fr/index.dml?new=1

The web site for Chenonceaux is: http://www.chenonceau.com/indexENG.html
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 08:50 PM

Having been to all the chateaux you mentioned except Chinon, as well as a number of others in the Loire Valley, Chambord remains at the top of my list. There is nothing else like it. After Chambord, I thought Valencay and Usse were the most impressive. Valencay is too far to drive for one day, but you can drive by and get a fabulous view of Usse from the road--interior was somewhat disappointing. Chenonceaux is probably the most charming, which is not to say that they don't all have some charm in varying amounts. Azay le Rideau is lovely and the town is cute, and Villandry's gardens are fabulous. Since you only have one day, I would pick from the above and skip Cheverny, Amboise, and Chaumont. I enjoyed Blois for its history and many lovely painted wood paneled rooms. I believe much of Chinon is a ruin, and didn't care much for the town. The Dordogne is lovely too, but I could happily go back to the Loire tomorrow and see all of the chateaux again for the third time!