What's open today (Jan 1st) in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Year! Now that it's come and gone... New Year's Eve and the ensuing nine-hour sleep to ditch the hangover...I'm curious what (if anything) is open today in Paris. Any thoughts on things to do?

We're not picky at all and might cruise out to Belleville and have a look around, or even Marlys-le-Roi. Will most restaurants be open a bit later, or are they all closed for the day too? A little clueless as to what the protocol is here, so if anyone has any thoughts, let's here them. Thanks!
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 04:13 AM

kyliebaby - we are in Paris right now as well. I am not feeling great and sent the family out to Montmartre as I have read there is a bit open today. The movie theaters are open as well - you can see if it is subtitled in French. (many are not voice overed) - and I believe the Eiffel tower is also open.

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 04:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Eiffel Tower is open 365 days a year but you may have noticed that the day is misty and dreary so the view would be crappy. The current temperature at ground level is 2°C so it is not a great day for cruising on the Seine either.

No problem finding restaurants in Paris any day of the year -- just don't be too picky today.

I just got back from the movies at the MK2 Bibliothèque, perhaps my favorite cinema in the city. I saw "Lars and the Real Girl" which just finally came out here.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 05:28 AM

I,m in bed in Paris in my Hotel having a bottle of wine.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM

We have returned to our apartment in the 17th after a refreshing walk through Parc Monceau (just what was needed after the night before). We were surprised at what "is" open - many brasseries, flower shops, some traiteurs and patisseries as well as the odd chocolate store. Many people are out and about.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM

Dh and the kids said that Montmartre was hoping. I walked over to the Notre Dame and wished I did not. It was honestly almost as crowded as Christmas Eve was - LOADS of tour buses just dropping people off. Crazy.

We had dinner at a local Italian place and now dh and the "boys" went to watch some bowl games at a Canadian pub.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Paris was absolutely mobbed for the holidays, by mostly European tourists. I am looking forward to next week when we Parisians finally get about two months of relative calm.

And then it all starts up again.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM

LOL kerouac. Just like NY......
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, today ended up being fairly productive, despite only having a few hours of daylight after we dragged ourselves from the apartment. We headed to Belleville and had lunch in a Chinese restaurant, which was pretty good. The fried rice was amazing, but the chicken was just okay. And then we walked down to Pere Lachaise cemetery, but not before stopping and buying three DVDs from a little shop. Our cable is being spotty at the apartment, and my boyfriend insisted on having something to watch tonight. So, here we are... sitting in Paris watching Beetoven (yes, the dog movie). Too bad we didn't get up earlier. By the time we got to the cemetery, it was just about closing time. We nearly made it to Jim Morrison's grave before being turned away. Dang!

So, back we came towards Montmartre, and did the requisite walk (and dodge of the annoying hockers selling God knows what) past the Sacre Coeur en route to find somewhere for dinner. We were going to go to La Pomponnette, but it was a little pricey, so we went to another bistro down the way. Everything in Montmartre was pretty crowded and it was bustling with people. On the way home from dinner, we climbed up to the Sacre Coeur and had a look inside. The nuns came out and began to sing as we were inside, so that was pretty lovely. And I was shocked it was still open. Around the backside, and down the street, and we are home now. It was a fairly productive day, but I think we need to get up JUST a little earlier tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

MomDDTravel: Do you happen to know where the pub is they're going to watch the bowl games at? I know my boyfriend would like the chance to catch some football at some point while we're here. C'est la vie...
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM

There is an American (or maybe it is Canadian) pub on Rue Ste. Genevieve at Rue Cujas near the Pantheon. You walk behind the Pantheon and go down the hill. There are footballs and Michigan banners in the windows.

Thin
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 10:40 PM

sorry Kylie - just getting your post. I headed to bed last night. The place they went was Canadian and pretty close to where we are in the 5th.

Thin - I went to the "Rose" the other night - GREAT suggestion of course - but you knew that.

~Dawn
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:52 AM

I am glad you liked the restaurant, Dawn. I thought the food was very good for the price and the owner and his family couldn't have been nicer to me when I was there.

Bon Voyage,
Thingorjus