Does Paris shut down on legal holidays?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:40 PM
Lauren

Does Paris shut down on legal holidays?

I will be spending my 40th birthday in Paris and have just found out May 8th and 9th are national holidays. Does anyone know if ALL the museums and sights will be closed? Any tips on websites with museum hours?<BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:52 AM
elaine

Eiffel Tower is always open I believe.<BR>www.eiffel-tour.fr<BR>other websites:<BR>www.louvre.fr<BR>www.musee-orsay.fr <BR>The Marmottan Museum and the Rodin, two of my favorites, should be open.<BR>The Pantheon and Arc de Triomphe I think would be closed since at www.paris.org the entries say they are closed on holidays, but that website unfortunately isn't updated regularly.<BR>I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Heather

I will be in Paris during those holidays. I e mailed someone at the Louvre and they will be open. Just an FYI

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 09:22 PM
lauren

Thanks for the information -- it helps with planning this quick trip.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Chris

Usually by the third holiday in May, everything's open (even the French get tired of having all those days off -- revenue). May 1st is when everything's closed. You shouldn't have too many problems on the 9th.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Mari

What about Bastille Day, July 14? We will be in Paris over that weekend. Will museums and other sights be opened? Thanks.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 11:21 AM
reggie

Yes, Paris does close down on holidays. The whole city. They close the gates and let no one in. There are guards to make sure that no one sneaks through the gates. There are attack dogs all around the perimeter. <BR>Have a wonderful time!