Paris - On a Monday

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris - On a Monday

My husband & I will be spending Monday, May 15 in Paris. As the major museums are closed on Mondays, any advise as to what to do that day. Versailles and Monet's house/gardens in Giverney are also closed on Monday. We've been to Chartes, so not necessarily interested in a day trip there. Other than wandering around the various gardens, strolling the Champs-Elysées, taking a boat ride on the Seine, visiting Notre Dame, or going to the Eiffel Tower, any suggestions for Monday activities? Are there any museums open on Monday? Thanks for any advise.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:31 AM

The Louvre is open Monday as is my favorite sight in Paris, Ste. Chapelle. You can check the schedules for other museums by going to the Destinations box above and visiting the Paris page. The museums are listed under "sights and activities" with the times they are open. Several museums, in addition to the Louvre are open Monday.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:33 AM

National museums are open on Mondays. Paris city museums (orsay) are closed.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM

The National Library - Bibliotheque Nationale - usually has interesting exhibits at both the old (Blvd Richelieu) and the new (Francois Mitterand) locations.

Richelieu is open on Mondays, Mitterand only on Monday afternoons.

www.bnf.fr

WK
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Musée Jacquemart-André is also open, as it is every day. And as for strolling, the Champs-Elysées would not be my choice. How about wandering around the interesting streets of the Marais, St-Germain des Pres, the Latin Quarter, Ile St-Louis, or a bit further afield to the Butte aux Cailles or Canal St-Martin neighborhoods? Mid-May should be ideal weather to be outdoors.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:46 AM
tod

peaches1 - We strolled along the Canal St. Martin stopping for lunch at a cute little bistro called Le Chaland on Quai de Valmy. Heading onwards we reached Quai de la Loire and caught the 3 O'clock boat back through all the locks until it finally berthed at Port de l'Arsenal. Great fun listening to all the old French tunes played whilst sailing along!
Another wonderful walk is along the Viaduct des Arts (flowers should be good). Take a good map with you , it always helps - Metro to Bastille then walk down Ave. Daumesnil until you see the stairs at the start of the archways. Carry on until you get to Jardin de Reuilly where you can either find the metro Montgallet or walk further up Daumesnil to Place Felixe Eboue & the Daumesnil metro.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:52 AM
P_M

I was in Paris last year when they had a major strike and all tourist attractions in the city were closed. We took a boat ride along the Seine, then we walked around the Montmarte area, stopping in to visit small-non-touristy churches. I think you'll find plenty to keep you busy.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM
P_M

I almost forgot--there will still be shopping!!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Fodor's Paris Guidebook has some interesting-looking walks mapped out. Most seem to be about two miles long and are in different arrondisements. We are planning to try at least one during our May trip.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Now I know we will have plenty to do/see on our Monday in Paris.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Take a walking tour. We did one today with Paris Walks: http://www.paris-walks.com after contemplating it approximately forever. Very cheerful, English guide, fun, good commentary and we learned a lot. Their March schedule shows Monday walks, so I imagine they have them in other months, too.