Search

What's My Line?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's My Line?

Dear Fodors Friends,

I've been motivated by a few recent career-oriented threads and have decided to pursue a career with a tour company. I'd like to plan, organize and coordinate activities for travelers in the south of France, where I'm currently living.

Has anyone done this type of job that can provide me with some suggestions? What about reputable companies that have existing operations in Provence?

I hope this isn't too vague. But, I'm just starting my research and hope some of the experts here can point me in the right direction.

Thank you!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:58 AM
rex

Maybe untours.com as one suggestion?

I submit that there are so many of "us" who secretly want to do this as well, that the suggestions you get there are just as likely to be UNhelpful (if not outright sabotage or hostile) - - as they are likely to give you any insider secrets!

Still, my suggestion about untours.com is serious; I have no idea who they employ, what it is like to work for them, nor how you might get employed. I wouldn't be surprised if you run into a brick wall there; perhaps they can give you a dose of the reality of how difficult it might be to make any money doing this.

Or maybe they will welcome you with open arms!

I wish you nothing but success - - and then when you need a vacation from your job helping others to vacation, please give me a call! wink...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Rex, thank you for your kind, sincere message. I appreciate the advice. I don't expect these jobs to be easy to find but SOMEBODY has to do the great jobs! Why not me? (Can you tell I've just read all the "Get The Job You Always Dreamed Of!" books?) Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:00 PM
rex

You're welcome.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:26 AM

It's not always the case that you need relevant experience to get these jobs but you will need to show that you have travelled a lot and have experience in managing groups of people in other situations.

I would recommend you get copies of trade magazines - in the UK there is one called TTG for example (Travel Trade Gazette) - most jobs are advertised in these.

I would also suggest that you consider looking for *any* reasonable job within a company that also employs people in the kind of job you want to get into. With inside knowledge of the business you are more likely to succeed applying for the good jobs when they come up. For example, when I worked in the UK's largest tour operator for years, many people would accept jobs in Customer Service department, boring as hell, but would then move into their area of choice from there.

Also, if you can't show in depth knowledge of either tour managing OR the South of France then I'd suggest looking for tour manager jobs within the US (if that's where you live) for a company that has international scope and then look at moving to European destinations. I'm guessing that they have more applicants for fewer European based jobs - so this might work.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that, in travel, it's often a case of getting into the right company in any job and then moving to the job you want.

Good luck!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kavey, for more good suggestions.

Can anyone suggest some of the better organizations that operate in the South of France?