What's It Like in Munich now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving next week for Munich. What's the weather like? Any suggestions for activities, german restaurants and sights? Is the Munich Welcome card worth it? Should we take a taxi from the airport?
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Munich is beautiful - we were there in winter and it was still beautiful.
To find out about the weather go to
www.weatherbase.com
You haven't said what you like to do. Go to www.munich.de for ideas and then come back and ask questions
I wouldn't take a taxi from the airport but that's just me and I travel light. If you want to take public transpo take the S-bahn. 9, I think. On the map it's the one with the yellow and black stripe. Easy to do.
Have a great time in Munich. What else do you plan to do and how long will you be there?
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 07:11 AM
JN

Take either S-bahn 1 or 8 (not 9)--fast, easy and cheaper by far than a cab.

As for restaurants, we liked Andechser am Dom, just off Marienplatz, Donisl on Marienplatz next to the Neues Rathaus, and Hackerhaus, on Sendlingerstrasse just off Marienplatz. Each has traditional german food at reasonable prices, and fine beer to boot.

Sights depend on what kinds of things you like, but we enjoyed Nymphenburg palace, Frauenkirche and Asamkirche. Many on fodors have enjoyed the Residenz museum and the Deutsches Museum.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Temperatures right now are ranging from a low of 40 to a high of 63. When you go to the christmas market in Marienplatz be sure to also visit the crib market a block away.

One of our favorite Bavarian restaurants in the Augustiner. It is a couple of blocks toward the main train station from Marienplatz.

When we wer there last time there was a cheesey but fun Bavarien evening at 7pm on the 3rd floor of the Hofbrau Haus. You can get the show or the show with a buffet. I think the show was 6-7 Euros and if you added dinner it was about 19-20. Save the cost of dinner for the Augustiner or perhaps the Ratkeller in the basement of the Rathaus (glockenspiel building)
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Go to http://www.sueddeutsche.de/.
It is the major newspaper of Southern Germany, headquartered in München. It is in German, of course, but if you click on the link Wetter (weather) in the left grey area under Startseite (starting page), you get a graphic that is unmistakable, with numbers in Centigrade. Google will translate those.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. We are art and food lovers. So we will be doing all the art museums and some of the suggested restaurants. Can't wait to visit the Christmas market.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Unless you are staying someplace far from the S-Bahn, I would definitely take the S-Bahn from the airport. It is really easy. The station is just outside the terminals and you can purchase tickets from the machines - you don't say how many people you are, but you can get partner day passes which are good from the airport into Munich and then all day around Munich on all trains, subways, trams, and buses.

We didn't buy the Munich welcome card when we were there since we were doing a lot of outdoor activities rather than indoor ones. But if you are planning to hit all the museums, then it is probably worth it. We just bought a partner transit pass for the week, which was a great bargain.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the S-Bahn info. My husband and I were just concerned about carting our luggage on a train. We have traveled alot but usually take a tour or a taxi from the airport. Maybe we try the S-Bahn thing. Will let you know what we deceided.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:41 AM

Just returned on Fri from 5 nights in Bamberg and 2 in Munich. Weather was warmer than I thought it would be (having spent last 2 Thanksgivings in Venice where it was very cold). Do bring an umbrella just in case. I needed gloves but not a scarf...don't know if you'll need one in a week or not. Check www.wunderground.com for temps and weather history.

In Munich, we enjoyed a nice lunch at Cafe Reitschule near the Englischer Garten...the restaurant has windows directly overlooking the inside of the riding school. Not "traditional" German food, but very good and an unusual setting.

If you have a late flight home from Munich (3:00ish or so), you may want to consider taking the train to Friesing and then a cab to the Weihenstephan brewery (claims to be the oldest brewery in the world). Very good beers and wonderful traditional food. We took a cab from the train station to the brewery, then the driver picked us back up after lunch and drove us to Munich airport (about 15 minute ride from Friesing).
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:52 AM

I live in Stuttgart, about 3 hours west of Munich, and it has been unseasonably warm across Germany for the whole month of November. They say it's going to be near 20 C tomorrow! Do plan for rain and bring a wind-proof layer and a warm sweater just in case.

Munich is a great city - very friendly people and lots to see and do. Get a map from your hotel and do your own walking tour. If you like churches, you'll have many to visit! If you have a rainy day spend it at the Deutsches Museum. If you like cars, the Audi Museum in Ingolstadt is a nice side trip. I also recommend Dachau Cocentration Camp - a somber, moving history lesson. The new exhibition there is incredible.

Have a wonderful time!