Munich Favorites

Apr 18th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Munich Favorites

Would like to get some feedback on the best of Munich for those who have been there. I appreciate your feedback because I am trying to get a feel for the best things to do. Which ever of these questions you would care to answer will help. Thanks.

1. What is your favorite Munich sight?
2. What is your favorite Munich restaurant?
3. What is your favorite Munich walk area?
4. What is your favorite shop, or store?
5. What is your favorite hotel?
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM

1) the cafeteria in the library opposite the Deutsche Museum, watching tourists. Yet not a single tourist will ever enter this place.
2)one Greek restaurant at Feldmoching station, pubs at Westend.
3)Ostpark and Westpark in summer (Theatron and beer garden)
4)Litec Electronic
5)Don't need a hotel.
Apr 18th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Logos999, as a Münchner, is probably going to have a fit...

1. The Cuvillies Theater, a (restored) Baroque jewel in the Residenz.
3. The large pedestrian zone that includes most of the best shopping streets in Munich.
2. and 4. It's been too long; the last time I was in Munich was in 1981.
5. I always stayed with family friends.
Apr 18th, 2006, 03:19 PM

1. We enjoyed our afternoon at Schloss Nymphenburg and the adjacent botanical gardens. We also liked the Bavarian National Museum.

2. Liebighof im Lehel http://www.liebighof.com/

3. We enjoyed the variety of sights and things to do in the English Garden. From monuments, to nude sunbathers, to beer gardens, to surfers.

4. We're not shoppers.

5. Not the one we stayed in.
Apr 19th, 2006, 03:21 AM
JN

1. It's hard to select just one, but the visit to Schloss Nymphenburg, Frauenkirche and Neue Pinakotek were highlights.

2. Restaurants: We love german/bavarian fare, so found these three restaurants to be terrific: a. Hackerhaus on Sendlingerstrasse, just off Marienplatz--try the Obazter (cheese spread thing with onions and bread) as an appetizer and have the apple strudel for desert.; b)Andechser Am Dom-just off Marienplatz, behind the Frauenkirche. They had the best schnitzel we've ever had and very good beer. c) Donisl--just to the left of the Rathaus with the glockenspiel. They play oompah music at noon and in the evening, traditional german fare at an incredibly low price.
Apr 19th, 2006, 04:02 AM
hsv

1. Slightly outside Munich: Tegernsee (Lake)

2. Lenbach, Gandl, Last Supper or Oe1 for a nice evening out; Franziskaner, Andechser, Unionsbraeu Haidhausen and Hofbraeukeller (not Hofbraeuhaus) for typical Bavarian; Schwabinger Wassermann for a neighbourhood place; Brenner for lunch.

3. see 1

4. none

5. Dorint Sofitel Bayerpost - hands down and by far
Apr 19th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Is the Zam Museum still in business? It's one of the more eccentric museums we've ever seen and is kind of a hoot to visit. It's a collection of several small museums dedicated to odd things--Easter bunnies (some of those early Easter Bunnies are right out of a Tim Burton movie--scary!), pedal cars, toilets, etc (there's also a small section dedicated to Kaiserin Elisabeth, how she got mixed in with the bunnies and pushcars, I don't know).
When we were there, the museum was run very casually. The entrance was unlocked but no one was around to sell or check tickets. We waited about 10 minutes for someone to show up and then just wandered around on our own. Lots of exhibits were just sitting around untended, no security systems of any kind and had we been of a larcenous bent, we could have walked off with entire exhibits.

If you have only a limited time to spend in Munich, it's not on any top 10 lists, but if you want to see something offbeat, it's worth a look.
Apr 19th, 2006, 04:41 AM

1) the jewish musuem
2) Trader vic's at the hilton
3) from Alexanderplatz to the Brandenburg gate on christmas day 2005
4)Kaufhous- the largest department store in europe
5)the marriott courtyard, i could not believe it was better than most JW marriotts
Apr 19th, 2006, 04:51 AM

bookmarking
Apr 19th, 2006, 05:03 AM

off the beaten path:

for sightseeing: Valentin Musäum
a quite exquisite museum dedicated to Karl Valentin, a popular Bavarian comedian, located in the tower of the Isartor.

for shopping; Hugendubel
quite a large bookstore, nine shops in Munich. one at Marienplatz. Hugendubel am Salvatorplatz (U-Bahn Odeonsplatz) offers Munich´s largest sortiment of English books and also a second hand book and print shop.
Apr 19th, 2006, 05:23 AM

bookmarking
Apr 19th, 2006, 06:10 AM
MaureenB

Hotel Uhland-- a wonderful B&B in a charming converted mansion, in an upscale and relatively quiet neighborhood with tree-lined streets. Across from the Oktoberfest park, for taking nice walks. Also good restaurants within walking distance. Free bikes to borrow from the hotel, and ride along the river. Also free parking at the hotel. Very nice breakfast room with a full spread of boiled eggs, and all the trimmings. Very well-managed, friendly, sparkling clean, recently renovated. About a ten minute walk to the train station, with buses closer. About a twenty minute walk to the Marianplatz. We loved the Hotel Uhland's family room. Check out their website: http://www.hotel-uhland.de/enwelcome.html

Apr 19th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Bookmarking...And adding my 2 cents:

1. the Marienplatz. Everything about it. That area just brings back great memories of the first time I was there, and just feels like home to me.

3. Everywhere! (But probably the English Garden)

I don't have any other answers for you. I can't wait to get there!!!!
Apr 19th, 2006, 07:27 AM

hhildebrandt: You have my mother's maiden name! What is your ancestry? Sorry, don't mean to hickjack the thread...I'm planning a trip to Germany in the fall and just saw the name and got excited.
Apr 19th, 2006, 07:46 AM
hsv

Lostmymind,

your post seems to refer to Berlin!!!!!
Apr 19th, 2006, 11:10 AM

hello jayne 1973,

the family name Hildebrandt is quite common in Germany. Its origin is the old germanic first name Hildebrand with the meaning of (hilte = fight, brant = burning) one who is eager to fight. at those times an honored attitude, nowadays these people are called hooligans.

My father was born at Hannover in 1902, my grandmother at Breitenworbis (near Worbis in Thuringis) in 1866. Her family´s origin seems to be Heilbad Heiligenstadt in Thuringia (located east, some maybe 25 miles, from Göttingen in a region called Eichsfeld). In this region, the family name Hildebrandt is quite usual.

Maybe I can be help you by answering your questions.

Apr 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM

OK, I'll try. . .

1. The stream flowing through the Englischer Garten, seen from the bridge.
Also, the "airplane room" at the Deutsches Museum, and the views from the tower of Peterskirche ("Alter Peter").

2. Don't have one yet!

3. The pedestrian zone up to Marienplatz and the Viktualienmarkt

4. The Viktualienmarkt!

5. Hotel Uhland
Apr 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Here are mine:

1. Odeonsplatz. I just love looking at the Theatinerkirche. That mediteranean yellow color is awesome.

2. Hirschgarten in Nymphenburg. An Augustiner or two sitting in that huge park is memorable. Biggest beergarden in Germany. Big isn't always better, but this place is nice. Nice relaxed neighborhood too.

3. Down Theatinerstrasse and Ludwig strasse. So much to see, hear, and feel.

4. Viktualienmarkt. Not really a shop or store but it is my favorite place to hang out, and spend money on great olives, and cheese. You could eat there all year and not have the same thing twice.

5. No real favorite hotel. But, I do prefer to stay out in the burbs like Gern, Nymphenburg, or Freising. Much better prices and with the MVV getting around is so simple.

Apr 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Like Rufus i love the Englischer Gardens - the Chinese pogoda outdoor beer garden, the vast lush park and, on a nice day, the hundreds of nude sunbathers - not that many were very attractive but it's a novel sight coming from puritanical U.S. - if you're bashful too bad as the nudists are everywhere - walking around, laying right by the main paths, etc.
Apr 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM

bookmarking

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO