What's a wonderful hotel in Lisbon?

Old Oct 14th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's a wonderful hotel in Lisbon?

I'm reposting, to make clear I'm looking for a "wonderful" hotel in Lisbon.

I may get a long weekend in Lisbon with my adult daughter for what would be the first visit by each of us to the country. Can anyone suggest a great hotel, located in the heart of things but also with beautiful views (I know central location and sweeping views don't usually co-exist!) We would like to be able to walk to things but also relax with a glass of wine overlooking the city and preferably even the water. I don't mind splurging for this birthday trip.

Also, any suggestions anyone could give us for restaurants and things to see would be very much appreciated. We may get 4 nights in Lisbon.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 12:54 PM

We stayed at the Memmo Alfama Hotel in 2018. Very nice patio with views to the bay (ocean?). Also enjoyed eating at A Cevicheria, Taberna da Rua das Flores and Cervejaria Ramiro and lunch at the big Mercado.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about the views, and I haven't stayed there myself, but if I had the money the Avenida Palace would be my first choice.

The VIP Eden has views, but I was disappointed with my room.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 05:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Avenida Palace is my first choice, then Sofitel.
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

That looks great -- I have made our reservation at Avenida Palace. Thank you!
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please report back!
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 08:24 AM

Walking in Lisbon is real exercise, not leisurely strolling. Think San Francisco: Plenty of hills. The older, crowded parts of the centre also challenge the brain because street names can be hard to make out. While the avenues usually have name signs, the little streets can either be dimly marked (especially at night) or completely nameless. Learning how to navigate the transit system -- both modern buses and ancient trollies -- will save a lot of time and anguish. Cabs, numerous and moderately priced, are the easy way to go.
I recently stayed in the middle, on the sweeping Av. Fontes Pereira de Melo, at Ibis Styles Lisboa Centro Liberdade. No character at all but reliably efficient, as part of a huge European chain. Pleasant light cafe with refreshments around the clock, and a very capable young staff. For less than $100 a night, there's room to take a lot of cabs, or it is close to subway stops.. (Caution: There is another Ibis a few blocks away but less well located.)

ibis Styles Lisboa Centro Liberdade

Old Oct 19th, 2021, 12:37 AM

We loved the Avenida Palace. Would happily stay there again.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 08:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
A former poster on this message board who gave incredibly helpful information about Lisbon has retired from his desk job and is now giving tuk tuk tours. This is his website:

https://www.otukdojoao.com/en/