Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two Qs?: Sorrento early December-dead or alive? Volunteering youth soccer in Italy

Search

Two Qs?: Sorrento early December-dead or alive? Volunteering youth soccer in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2021, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, New member here...have learned a lot by reading many exchanges. Two questions, unrelated.
* I'm going to a wedding in Naples in early December 2021. I was thinking of going to Sorrento for 7-10 days afterwards, which would have me there early to mid Dec. I'm looking to take long walks, enjoy views, eat good simple food, drink espresso, and enjoy Italian life in a small city/large town. I see there are also some cooking schools in Sorrento and I might take a class. From Sorrento I might hire a driver or take the bus for day trips to Herculinean, Amalfi, Positano. I don't like moving lodging so am planning on making Sorrento my base after Naples. It looks like in December if I want to visit Capri, Anacapri, or Ischia I would need to do that from Naples (ferry schedules a bit hard to decipher). My question:Has anyone been to Sorrento in early/mid December? Is it dead or lively then? I don't mean disco lively. I just mean not desultory, deserted, with most restaurants and shops (including food markets) closed?
* Totally different question: a year from now I would like to take a longer trip to Italy in the fall or spring with the goal of living in one place (location TBD) and in some way helping out with a youth soccer/football team. I am a volunteer recreational football coach for children in the US. I'd love to learn how kids football is coached in Italy (and, in doing so, could practice my shaky Italian!). Youth football in Europe is a more serious, professionalized affair and I would volunteer to help in a humble way--shagging balls just so I could see Italian youth soccer coaching in action. Does anyone have ideas as to how I might start to research this possibility, or is it just impossible (so that I should just go somewhere and introduce myself to a coach whom I happen to see on a football pitch)? Thanks-and hope it's OK to bundle my questions.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 05:59 PM

More advice

Thought you might find this interesting.
https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-rea...tball-in-italy

Google Youth Soccer in Italy and you will see all kinds of info about camps, etc.

I could be totally wrong, but my gut feeling is that without some references of introduction or recommendations, it is not likely a group would really want a perfect stranger working with kids. Perhaps letters and communication way ahead of time?

Years ago, I loved seeing kids playing soccer, barefoot, on the streets of Naples. Tough little guys.

As to Sorrento, I have not been there in the dead of winter, but was there in late Fall and very, very early Spring, both times cold years. There was even snow on Vesuvius. However, when it was sunny, it was pleasant, though we wore winter coats and evenings were dark early and not pleasant. Everything was not open, but enough was open in the evenings that you won’t go hungry, and you could hang out in local places watching sports.

You are correct. You would likely need to visit Capri from Naples, depending on weather and ferry schedules.
You could visit Pompeii from Sorrento, but you would really want to visit Herculaneum from Naples. It is much closer to Naples than to Sorrento. In winter, I would visit both from Naples.

Not sure of other places on the AC in winter, but to be honest, I would not enjoy a winter stay of more than a day or two in Sorrento.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Oct 7th, 2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 06:14 PM

Welcome, Marcoz! I can only say that, unless something has changed since my visit, you can get to Capri from Sorrento. You'll have to check winter schedules. Please let everyone know where you end up and what you do.

Last edited by TDudette; Oct 7th, 2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 08:50 PM

TDudette is absolutely correct. Thanks for picking up on my mistake. I was thinking the routes had fewer crossings in winter, but the crossings are much shorter from Sorrento than from Naples. Also, it seems there are some great Christmas activities in Sorrento throughout December, before Christmas, so while it might close down later in winter, it seems like a wonderful place pre-holiday time.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 09:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The town of Sorrento has a permanent population of 16,000, and the peninsula has a population 150,000. Sorrento won't be deserted.

The commuter train that runs between Napoli Centrale and Sorrento takes 1:15 hours. Sorrento to Pompeii takes 35-40 minutes, and Sorrento to Herculaneum takes about an hour. Almost all of the artifacts excavated from both sites have been removed to the Archeology Museum in Naples.

https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/n...orrento_napoli

You'll have to check the ferry website after about November 1st to see the winter timetable. Watch the weather forecast as you plan your visit. Boats will not be running if seas are rough.

https://www.cittadicapri.it/en/ferry-schedules

As to youth football, you might find this blog interesting:

https://shadesofumbria.wordpress.com...-youth-soccer/
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To coach children in the UK, you'll need to have been Police checked and I would think that this is similar in Italy. You need to do some research before you leave home and make arrangements to meet the right people in the area. Parents will be suspicious of strangers watching kids and that could cause you the odd problem. In short, have it all arranged before you leave home.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Rubicund
To coach children in the UK, you'll need to have been Police checked and I would think that this is similar in Italy. You need to do some research before you leave home and make arrangements to meet the right people in the area. Parents will be suspicious of strangers watching kids and that could cause you the odd problem. In short, have it all arranged before you leave home.
thanks for these really helpful replies about Sorrento and calcio!!!
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 01:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We took a ferry from Naples to Capri. Next, after several days, we took a ferry from Capri to Sorrento.Go to capri.net for ferry schedules.
I don’t know how lively Sorrento is in early December but our landlord there encouraged us to visit over Christmas sometime as there is a big parade and more.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Oct 17th, 2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 03:13 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
We took a ferry from Naples to Capri. Next, after several days, we took a ferry from Capri to Sorrento.
We did the same.

FB reminded me today that 4 years ago today LoveItaly's private driver picked us up at Sorrento to drive us around the Amalfi coast. He said the same thing about Christmas in Sorrento.

https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/m...to-in-december
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. Will explore! George