what to wear in Paris

Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

what to wear in Paris

As a 50+ woman, am wondering if nice bluejeans as part of an outfit is appropriate daytime wear in Paris. I never
feel out of place like this in New York. Just wonder if Paris is any different. Haven't been there in five years.

Also where is now the best place to get Euros--in the U.S. or at the airport in Paris. Need $ for taxi.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:15 PM

Yes, you can wear jeans -- or absolutely anything else in Paris. Everybody else does.

The best place to get euros is from an ATM at the airport in Paris but absolutely not from the exchange office.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM

Black is always in fashion.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM

My husband and I were in Paris last weekend (9/16 & 9/17). We saw many people of all ages in blue jeans both days. As far as Euros, I recommend using the ATM at the airport. It is right outside the baggage terminal. Have a wonderful trip!
Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM

I live in New York and use to feel not as stylish as Parisians when I went there, but times change and the dress is pretty much the same now. I agree in either city black is always in fashion.
Marian
Brooklyn, NY
Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM

In February, I wore my nice jeans with a dressy top or short jacket with little heels or ballet flats(if shopping) for lunch. This was a look that I spotted on many. I usually buy enough euros before going for metro, taxi and something to eat.
The Sunday NY Times travel magazine has several pages on Sophie Coppalas's Paris. She's wearing jeans in some photos.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:23 PM

I agree w/all the posters here. There's way too much anxiety about fashionistism while travelling (I include myself, I assure you!) If any one of us thinks that for one half of a second, we're not going to be id'd as a tourist, we're even more egotistical than we already know we are! And so what??! Does our being identified as who we are somehow inhibit our ability to enjoy our travels?

As more than a few people have commented, the main thing to be sensitive to/aware of is manners, customs, etc. Loud, demanding, flag-waving, ethnocentric travellers can expect to be treated in kind, even if they are wearing Armani.

"Sofia Coppola's Paris"?? No offense, but: goodgod!
Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:30 PM

why? the attitude? She has an apartment there, her film Marie Antoinette opened there.
For film goers, the article gives the films locations.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:36 PM

Sorry, I guess I just don't hold that high opinion of her. I know she's considered the cat's pjs in certain circles; I have nothing against her, I'm just not one of her fans. (BTW, have you seen Marie Antoinette? Maybe I'll end up eating my words, but the previews don't impress. I kinda feel sorry for Kirsten Dunst!)
Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:41 PM

Ok, this is the opinion of a somewhat unfashionable woman....

Jeans are fine, but make sure to pair them with a top that is both comfortable and very feminine. One thing I noticed right away in paris was that the whole concept of Unisex clothing isn't that big over there. The unisex shirts I had bought to keep me warm made me feel sooo unflattering! I felt much more comfortable when I wore my more feminine sweaters.

contrary to some opinions, people do wear tennis or gym shoes there. However, the most common style I saw was puma....and in darker colors. So big white cross trainers may stand out a bit.

As for money, when I travel I concede the slight overcharge at the airport for the ease of getting enough euros for my taxi or transportation and a meal. Once I check into my hotel, then I find an ATM that will give me much better rates.....
Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM

No, nor am I a fan of hers but I read all the posts here on Paris and WHOEVER else writes about that wonderful city and I don't have to agree with their choices
She gives a list a shops(one of my favorites), Deyrolle{not for everyone}
Of course most of the places are too expensive she lists but what interested me was a flower shop that only sells fragrant flowers, "odorantes" 9 rue Madame and "pharmacie Homopathique Weber" 8 rue de Capucines.
I couldn't find the article on line to post it. Maybe it was too early. We get Sundays supplements on Saturdays when we subscribe.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:52 PM

I'm not a fan of Sophia Coppola either and I sure don't care for her style. But I guess why she was singled out is because she was photographed wearing jeans, that's all. However, the same thing could be said of many visitors to Paris nowadays. You can't tell a local from a visitor if you go by jeans wearing. Used to be just 9-10 years one could pick out a tourist because of the jeans.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM

I love Sophia Coppola. I thought her "Lost in Translation" was absolutely brilliant. I can't wait to see "Marie Antoinette."

Sophia Coppola is a very close friend of Marc Jacobs, who is one of the geniuses of the fashion world. She gets a lot of her style attitude from him.

If I were a woman going to Paris in the fall, you would see me in Dries Van Noten, Olivier Theyskins for Patou, Ann Demeulemeester, or Yamamoto.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM

"The Virgin Suicides" was her first film.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:45 PM

I was just there last week and agree that jeans are seen everywhere in Paris. That said, I'm fairly certain they were not on "50+" women. Almost without fail, "older" women were wearing pants with stylish feminine jacket or top.

Flats and ballet styles were everywhere, including all the fall window displays.
Sep 24th, 2006, 09:05 AM

I just arrived early yesterday. Seems like lots of people wear jeans, although I don't usually wear them when I travel (sometimes too hot - I tend to wear skirts).

Re euros - we had LOTS of problems getting euros at the airport in Paris, but maybe it was the terminal where we arrived. Our flight got into terminal 3, where there was 1 ATM, which didn't work for us. We went over to the departures area, same situation - the ATM didn't work for us. I wished we had brought some euros from home.
Sep 24th, 2006, 09:11 AM

While I realize I pay a bit more for them, I prefer to arrive with euro in hand (from my own home bank). It's well worth it to me, *not* to have to think about it at the airport when I get off the plane all jet-lagged and confused.

Peggy, I would take just one pair of jeans and see what you feel like after you arrive. Especially if you are traveling soon I think some pants/slacks (for fall or winter) might be better.