WHAT TO WEAR IN LYON FRANCE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to go to Lyon this coming June. I have never been to France and have no idea what a very casual 60 year old male should ware.

Can someone help me?
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:32 PM

The main item of clothing you'll need in Lyon is a good bib.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:42 PM

And some clothes underneath.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Slacks with an stretch waistband would be appropriate. But seriously - when this very casual almost-60 year old male was in Lyon, I wore the same things I wear at home and nobody, including me, took any particular notice.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Neopolitan

Wearing what you'd wear at home is probably a pretty good idea unless you live near me in Southwest Florida. Wearing a pair of baggy swim trunks, an "I'm with Stupid" t-shirt, and a pair of flip flops might get some unwanted stares.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Lyon can get windy in early June, so take a windbreaker/leather jacket with you. If I were you, I'll take three pair of dockers pants (navy, black, brown), two light sweaters, three light shirts, and a casual jacket.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

At home in June, I pretty much wear shorts and sandles with a t-shirt.

Are jeans and sandles acceptible in Lyon? I was told not to wear running shoes...

thanks,

Katmaan

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Neopolitan

"I was told not to wear running shoes."

There is a current thread of "The Worst Travel Advice" ever. You might want to add this bit to that list.

Wear shoes that are comfortable and good for your feet. If you are talking about daily casual wear and you will be walking a lot, I can't think of a single reason in the world not to wear running shoes. If it's hot and you wear shorts, you wont' be alone. If you wear jeans, you certainly won't be alone. Wear what is comfortable, it can be a little chilly especially at night or in can get very hot in June, so be prepared with light weight layers.

Please get over the idea that there is an official uniform in Lyon or anywhere else. You will see both visitors and locals wearing anything and everything.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is no dress code for casual visitors to Lyon. The fashion police do not operate there.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I was there in October, and found it to be less "dressy" than Paris. Plenty of people wearing jeans. People were wearing darker colors and not a lot of people in suits. I chose to wear a dark pants, dress shirt, no tie and blazer when I went out to eat at night. During day, wore black jeans/khakis. Shoes...I had a pair of black Eccos that were comfortable. My theory, no clothes with logos, no hats.

I chose to use the Metro to start my day, and then do a lot of walking. If you search on my name, there is a much too long trip report here.

Enjoy and eat well!
Mike