Has anyone rented a villa in Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If so, where, when, etc? We're going for two weeks in October 2007 - 2 couples who love wine....scenery...relaxing...have spent time on SlowTravel but would appreciate some personal experiences if possible. Thx
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:04 AM

ttt.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:40 AM

There was a similar post a few weeks back. I know because I responded. We stayed at an old castle (okay, not really a villa, but kinda similar). Here's the website:
www.castellodibibbione.com/
It was a nice place, about 20 -30 minutes from Florence.
Have fun.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 06:27 AM

We rented a villa with my parents (4 people total) in Carmagnola about 20 KMs outside of Florence.

Pros: Cheap (under $800 for 8 days in 2003). Scenery was gorgeous with panoramic views of the countryside including the city of Florence. House was huge 8 people could've stayed comfortably. Reasonably close to Tuscany's attractions and grocery shopping. Best restuarant I've ever eaten at in the little village.

Cons: You have to drive to get anywhere. While you could get to the little village by walking it would take you about 30 minutes with a lot of steep hills to traverese. Supermarket was about 1.5kms away. Getting lost was constant problem which was fun at first but start to get a little nerve-grating towards the end.

If you are looking at a relaxing, hang out in a cool place with beautiful views type of vacation then this place was it.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Neopolitan

I'm never sure exactly what you have in mind when you say villa. As mentioned above, we avoid them because we don't like being stuck out in the middle of nowhere and having to drive to dinner and back or driving after having a lot of wine. But I know some people do.

This was our solution, a lovely apartment in an old family "palazzo", right in the middle of Montepulciano, but with views out to the countryside which made you feel like that's where you were. Parking in their private gated garden. Lots of pictures and information on their website -- il Poggiolo.

http://tinyurl.com/qu2mc

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

We are looking to be somewhat out of the frenzy - relaxation will be key, being able to sit on a patio and read a book, drive to villages at our leisure, etc. We've all been to Italy a couple of times before so seeing sites in the cities has been covered. This will be a pure relaxation trip if all goes well....
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Neopolitan

Our open terrace with a few chairs that faced the countryside even had a small fireplace on it, at Il Poggiolo. Perfect to warm you as you contemplate the sunset on a cool October afternoon.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Just returned from Tuscany where we stayed at a villa rented from my sister-in-law's husband's boss. It was located near a small town between Florence and Arezzo -- great location for reaching Chianti, Siena, Florence, and many small towns off the beaten path. It is an old renovated farmhouse with the most amazing view. I have a link to a website that shows the villa and many pix of the interior. We just returned today from a week there.

I loved the fact that the scenery was so amazing, we were central to many places, the price was fantastic, we could cook as much as we wanted but also had access to great local restaurants.

I agree with cadillac1234 in that it is a pain to have to drive everywhere, but if that out-of-the-frenzy experience is what you want and you don't mind driving alot of small twisty roads, then a villa is great! Let me know if you'd like the details and pictures of our recent villa stay.

-Kellie

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:06 PM

A very long time ago we "rented a villa" in Tuscany; actually it was divided into several apartments. I just Googled it and found it is still operating. We were there during Christmas of 1987, and it looks from their website as if they have updated it nicely. It is located near Sienna, up in the hills, about a 15 or so minute drive from town. The URL is:

http://www.villacatignano.it/index.html

Please report back and let us know how your trip goes!

All the best to you.

p.s. When I preview this post, the URL comes up twice no matter what I try. Sorry for any confusion!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM

We've rented a farmhouse villa (agritourismo) in Castellina in Chianti twice and are headed back this summer for a 3rd time. It's called Tenuta di Lilliano. The website is www.lilliano.com

Many acres of olives and grapes. Two or three apartments clustered together and sharing a common pool. Several clusters spread out over the property.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

kellbell - pls let me know the link for the villa you stayed at! thx