Search

What to wear

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 12:23 PM
n_marquis

What to wear

I was reading articles and they said do not wear jeans in Spain and No running shoes. Is this true?? My husband lives in jeans. Any suggestions for what to wear, we are travelling light and using backpacks.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeans are not the best choice for those who are travelling light: (1) spare pairs are bulky and heavy to pack and (2) those who travel light tend to wash things out more often than others (because of carrying fewer changes) and jeans take a LONG time to dry. So, unless you're doing some rugged adventures like hiking, he'd be better off with lighter-weight, nonwrinkling pants like chinos.

As far as I know, running shoes are permitted in Spain. He should wear whatever will be most comfortable to get him through the day. Unless his looks, Spanish, and wardrobe are also satisfactory and he's going to try to "pass," then there's no reason to not wear whatever footgear pleases him.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Jeans are fine and running shoes as well. I don't know how old your husband is, but younger people all wear jeans -- that's a standard uniform now all over the world. Among older people ( and I mean 50's and up, not to offend anyone) you'll see more pants. But, it doesn't matter -- you're on vacation -- wear whatever you feel comfortable in.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Intrepid

Nobody is going to refuse you or your husband "permission" to enter Spain or any other European country because he is wearing comfortable shoes. And, yes, people in those places do wear running shoes at times. A lot of the locals will be dressed for daily work since they aren't tourists so you may not see too many running shoes..but you'll see them. Regardless, unless you and your husband are wearing European-style dress or other shoes people will know you are a "tourist" but who cares?
I agree with the trouser recommendation..something more easily dried after washing such as Dockers, etc. but I have worn Levis in Europe, and washed and dried them in a hotel room...but I have one of the clothes dryer "pillows" that uses a hair dryer I bought from Magellans several years ago which makes drying even the heaviest fabrics a breeze. Stick with things that are lighter weight and enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Intrepid

Another thought..if and when you do wash things out in your hotel room, use one of the bath towels to roll the garments in after you have wrung them out...put the roll on the floor and walk on it...this will wick away a tremendous amount of moisture and speed the resultant hang out and dry process.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Intrepid ~ Thanks for reminding me. I haven't used the rolling towel method of drying clothes for years. I did use it for years when I didn't have access to free washers & dryers. Gee, I thought that I was so clever to have thought it up when I was a kid. LOL.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Intrepid

Actually, you were..it's just that the rest of us didn't know who to give proper credit to! Enjoy Spain...we did two years ago and cannot wait to go back.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 01:30 PM

I love jeans too and although other posters are right in that jeans take more time to dry, I find that trade-off well worthwhile. If your husband lives in jeans, I suspect that he would too. If you're going to be in larger cities, you can always find a laundromat in which to dry them. Some people may be aghast that you'd spend valuable traveling time in a laundromat but if wearing jeans makes your husband happy I'm sure that time would be worth it for him, and for you too.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:57 PM

What?? Has the world turned up-side-down? Has the forum gone suddenly insane? Is this the same place that insists everyone going to Europe wear black, black and more black and NEVER wear running shoes?
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 09:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What month is your trip? That's the key to me for this question. Jeans are too darn hot if you're going some place southern in the middle of summer. Any kind of Dockers or chinos etc. are more lightweight, both to pack and to wear. At least be sure one pair of jeans is what you/he wear on the plane (because they take the most room to pack).
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:45 AM
ira

Hi Martha,

That only applies to France and Italy. Spain is another country.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:33 AM
n_marquis

We are going to Europe starting November 6th for 2 1/2 weeks.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:00 AM

Towel drying..original use was to shape and dry wet sweaters...1940s.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
November should be cool enough, sure, take jeans I you want to. (I was picturing Venice in August and thinking you'd be sorry!).
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Hi!

Young people wear jeans. But, depending were you'll be going you'll find people very well dressed. Madrid and Barcelona are big cities and you have many tourists during the summer period. Usually, Spaniards usually recognize the country of origin of tourist for the way they dress: US (jeans and trainers); Germans (sandals and white socks); Italians (depending if they come from North or South, will be pretty fashionable). Don't worry about what you wear because Spaniards only critizise people's clothes (which they do very often) when they are locals. Tourists can wear anything they like unless you're planning to have dinner at a very nice restaurant.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:00 AM

When you are traveling, the most important things are to be comfortable and pack light. About the jeans issue, can't say for Spain, but in Italy they all wear jeans. They just wear them differently. They like Levi's 501 (botton up fly fronts ONLY) or designer jeans from Missoni, Versace, Moscino et al. They always iron, yes iron their jeans and wear a nice blouse or pressed shirt tucked in. My infamous mother in law looks like Linda Evans and still turns heads when she walks around here in her jeans. Everything she wears is always perfectly pressed and on the cutting edge of fashion. They pull it off by not adopting the Californian ideal of looking like you just rolled out of bed. Even the teenagers look neat and clean.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:02 AM

I was in Spain last month and it was the teenagers wearing jeans. The girls had them painted on, the guys had the baggy rap-star style. It was 40 fing degrees so I don't know how they handled it.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:20 AM

Yes to the jeans, no to the running shoes. You will SCREAM tourist.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:28 AM

We're going to Spain in September.

since lightweight cargo style pants (you know, the ones with all the pockets, sort of out of docker's material but a bit lighter weight and a bit more casual) are in style this season, I've bought a few pairs of those which come down to halfway between the knee and the ankle.

Thought it was a good compromise between shorts and jeans for the way the weather will be that time of year.

They are also lightweight so will be easy to maintain!

Trying to persuade my husband to do similar.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:46 AM

Given Olivia's objection to running shoes ("Your feet will SCREAM tourist&quot, I think we need to examine the underlying question: Is it wrong to look like a tourist? (I'm assuming nothing inherently offensive, like skimpy clothing or t-shirts with offensive slogans on them.) Why should a person not wear their most comfortable shoes, to cope with all that walking all day? This sems to me to be a prime case where one should NOT be willing to sacrifice comfort for fashion!