What to See in France?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Steve

What to See in France?

I'm trying to plan a 2 week trip and don't know where to start. I would appreciate any advice - where to research, favorite places, places not to miss. Thanks.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 09:59 AM
xxx

The place to start is to get a book about France, read it or at least look at the pictures and see what turns you on. We couldn't possibly help you get started here as we know nothing about you, your likes and interests, your budget, when you are going or anything else. I could tell you not to miss the fantastic museum of painted tea sets somewhere, but if you aren't into painted tea sets, what would be the point?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Rex

I have two suggestions:<BR><BR>1. Give us more to go on. What season? Why do YOU think you want to go to France? What does France mean to YOU? What do you see when you close your eyes and think of France? the Alps? for climbing or skiing? the Riviera? the beaches of Normandy? the fashions of Paris? the Brie? the Bordeaux? the history? of Caesar's Gaul? of Louis XVI? of great cathedrals? What connections already exist for you to the language, culture and cuisine of France? family roots? military service? courses in your educational background? Give &quot;us&quot; a clue where to start scratching YOUR &quot;itches&quot; and you will lots of great ideas here on places you've never heard of - - and how to handle the logistics to get between all the places that would appeal to you most.<BR><BR>2. Secondly - - or this might even come first - - get thee to your local public library or good-sized bookstore (or both) and pick up any of several big glossy-pictured coffee-table size books on France. Make yourself a list of the five or ten or 50 places that have you salivating the most. Tell us that too.<BR><BR>These are the two best answers I know how to give, to someone who doesn't &quot;know where to start&quot;.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex Bickers<BR>Westerville, Ohio<BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Hiho

Paris for five days, then Provence for a week....could visit Avignon, Arles, Aix, Le Beax, Marseilles. PIck perhaps two bases in Provence, and do some day trips.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Janda

The Camargue is a wonderful area down south. I love the town of Aigues-Mortes and St. Giles. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:05 AM
Steve

I know I need to be more specific. We know we will spend 4 - 5 days in Paris but want to get ideas for the other 8 - 10 days. We will travel in May 2003. I know we would enjoy seeing spectacular castles and churches but we also enjoy seeing locales of unmatched natural beauty - eg., Positano and Ravello in Italy - as well as mountains, lakes, countryside. We enjoy charming little towns with friendly people. We would love to know what you think are the places not to be missed and why. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:08 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>you can read about Languedoc (3hrs by train, 1hr by air from Paris) here :<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:37 PM
Rex

Okay, Steve. I hope you will take my two suggestions, but your second message was a much better starting point than your first.<BR><BR>Based on what you wrote there, I would take a train to Strasbourg (or you might be able to get a cheap flight from Paris to SXB, especially if you are using Air France to get to and from France). Then I think that your trip should be a a week long meander all the way to Nice (or Monaco). Many different ways to get there - - you might even make one or two day &quot;cut-through&quot; into Switzerland, to get form Basel to Geneva (though you wouldn't have to do that. Or start at Lyon or Dijon.<BR><BR>Try to fit in Annecy and/or Talloires - - as well as the hill villages of the Alpes Maritimes (the high country which plummets precipitously towards the Mediterranean to form the Cote d'Azur.<BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:35 PM
Christina

I couldn't begin to make recommendations because you could go anywhere in France and find something interesting and suitable based on your interests -- pretty scenery, castles and beauty. I think I would vote for the Paris then Provence itinerary also, that should be nice in May.<BR><BR>Here are some ideas of where you should research about areas and places to decide what appeals to you:<BR>1) any general guidebook to all of France (ie, Fodors, Frommers, etc) will have basic descriptions of the regions. I sort of like Frommer's regional summaries where they tell you the best features of an area, what makes it special, etc.<BR>2) the French National Govt tourism web site has tons of info on regions www.francetourism.com<BR>3) online websites of Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet also give &quot;destination&quot; descriptions.<BR>4) most regions or departments in France have their own tourism web sites which are also a wealth of info -- probably better once you've narrowed it down a little.<BR>5) if you are interested in Provence, that area has some of the best tourism web sites I've encountered, here are some of the best:<BR><BR>www.provencebeyond.com<BR>www.provenc eweb.fr<BR>www.avignon-et-provence.com<BR>www.jack-travel.com (this isn't specific to that area, but very good)<BR>www.provencetourism.com