Itinerary for South of France trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or places to go? A week in the South of France with a group. Thoughts on this idea?
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
First decide WHERE in the south of France before anyone can give you any input. This area includes Languedoc-Roussilon where Peter lives, the Cote D'Azur and Provence. All different in geography, food, but all worthwhile to visit.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

I've doen a search on this board, and it looks like St. Remy as a home base would be smart.

But, at the same time I would love to know if there is something that I am missing when doing research.

Is ther a reason to pick Hyeres over Martigues? Or Avignon over Sete? Not in that preference, but I am flying blind and I would really like to make the most of 5 or 7 days in the SOF.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:23 PM

toile you are talking apples to oranges in comparing those places, all in different departments of France. It's like saying do I want to go to Massachusettes or Vermont. We are both in New England but in different states. Buy a book on the south of France or if you only want to restrict the group to Cote DÁzur and Provence, buy one on that area, that way you can tell what's in those places that appeals to everyone. None of these places will be a disappointment, all rich in their own way. You'll love it.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Cig-
Where would you choose to travel if going to the South of France. Let me know! I would like to know where you would go then that may help me!
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:08 PM

Everything is so Personal in choices but for me I prefer Provence in the Vaucluse and Luberon where I return every year to visit favorite villages and places. St Remy is a good choice to base yourself, but we like staying in smaller places. Have you thought of renting a house for the week? It would be less expensive as a group. Go to www.provenceweb.com You can see different villages and places for rent.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:17 PM

I like the area around St.-Rémy and the Nice region. Both are different parts of Provence, obviously, offering different sights: one inland, the other coastal. Hyères is a delightful town and fairly untouristed as things go these days. Avignon is a large, bustling city, while St.-Rémy is small and bucolic. If I were you I'd pick up a copy of the Michelin green guides for Provence and Provence/Côte d'Azur and so some research before making a decision. The guides have excellent suggested itineraries in the front to get you started.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:17 PM

http://www.visitprovence.com
check out this one too, toile
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

I have been looking into houses! I believe that would be the best route for us due to it being cheaper and thus providing a home base of sorts.

We want to have great meals, soak up history and be able to get around easily.

St. Remy gets raves for a central locale. But, even there I don't know anything else about it. I'm trying to find plaes on line with information.

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:48 PM

http://www.beyond.fr/villages/stremy.html

here you go on St remy!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Are there winerys or vineyards that you can do tours of? Where and I know that Dom is made some where in that region.

I would also like to check in and see if there are bicycle tours or a way just to rent bikes and do a day of our own throught the contry side.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:38 PM
sandi

toile -

Buy a guidebook and a get a map so you'll see where everything is. A good driving map is the Michelin #528 (orage) of Provence and theCote dZaur. As cigalechanta mentioned, these books have sample itineraries for any given number of days.

Bye the way Nice is not in Provence, rather on the Cote d'Azur and when you mention Dom, I pressume you're referring to champagne - so Provence will be the wrong region.

Many people select St.Remy as it is centrally situated and a relatively small town, though more crowded during summer months. Once you have a guidebook and map in front of you, you'll see where places that interest you are located and with few exceptions find they are relatively short distances from one another. The Frommer's guides do provide distances between towns.

Do some homework based on your interests then get back to us with specific questions. Remember, this is your vacation and no one else.

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:54 PM

I just have to say that Nice IS in Provence, as is the rest of the Côte d'Azur, aka the French Riviera. This is a common misconception, as part of the area used to belong to Italy.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 02:28 AM

Hi

welcome to the great French mystery !

Which region is where, and where is the border. The reason is that todays France is a relatively new country. And the historical states had changing boundaries over time.
And today there are administrative boundaries that are different, but have the same names.

so, the administrative area is PACA (Provence-Alpes-Cotes d'Azur) but historically Provence covered a different area.

There is some history here : http://www.beyond.fr/history/

Peter
The Languedoc Page
http://tlp.netfirms.com