What to see Dublin down to the South

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is worth seeing(we do not need the tourist trap stuff like Factory tour in Waterford).
Any opinions on Powerscourt, Wicklow MT(military Road), The Bog-like area, Killkenny? We would like to make this a day trip(leaving early from Dublin) and end up somewhere for the night-Any B&B reccomended? The next day we will go to Rock of Casel, Cork(not the Blarney stone) and Cobn hopefuly spending the night in Kinsale.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:05 PM
tmh

Cobh was wonderful. This is where many of the immigrants sailed from - including my grandparents. The station was interesting. Up on the hill is St Columbine's (sp). According to my grandmother, it was the last visible sight one had as they sailed away from the homeland (and in their case, never to return). There was a 1st Communion being conducted so made the place more special.

The Roaring Donkey was a fine pub and they made feel very welcome - I felt like I was in someone's living room.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:48 AM

If you like out of the way places and back roads then the ones you listed in your post (ie. Military Road and bogs of Wicklow) is exactly what you should be going for. I've not been to Powerscourt but I'd say it's worth a stop -- I'll get there one of these days.
Also we always enjoy a quick visit to Glendalough and the Vale of Avoca if we are in the area.

As for Kilkenny, it's one of my favorite towns. Of course, I'm very partial to castles! Loads of pottery places scattered here and there on the way, too. We especially enjoyed an overnight stay in Inistioge outside of Kilkenny - I won't tell you where though because I'm trying to keep the place a secret! (OK, OK, it's Norebridge House in Inistoige.)

Do not miss Cahir Castle in the town of Cahir. If you only visit one castle make sure this is it!

Alternatively, you could do the coast road from Dublin all the way around to Cobh if you wanted. Now there's a beautiful drive!

Have a great trip!

Wendy

[email protected]
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 10:54 AM

On the day we left Dublin we visited Glendalough on the way to Kilkenny where we spent that night. We had time to also stop in Gowran where there is a very nice old church ruin (St Mary's), and to walk through the little town of Leighlinbridge where there is a lovely old stone bridge. We got to Kilkenny by mid afternoon. Another old abbely ruin near Kilkenny is Jerpoint Abbey in Thomastown, if you had time. That would be one good day that would position you nicely to go to Cashel the next day. And definitly stop at Cahir Castle, one of the highlights of our entire trip.

We also went all the way to the south coast (we went the day after Kilkenny) and visited Kilmore Quay - an interesting fishing village with lots of thatched roof buildings. While I enjoyed it, if I had it to do over again I would not have taken a whole day to visit that part of Ireland. You are already seeing Kinsale which is on the south coast. You don't say how long your whole trip is or if you are also going to the west coast so it's hard to say where you might want to add.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Its a 14 day trip we are hitting every part of Ireland except the extreme North.
Thanks for all of the advise so far! It is all very helpful!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Fourteen days may seem like alot but I think you'll cover less ground than you might think. We had nine days and went from Dublin, to Kilkenny, to Kilmore Quay - then back up to Cahir and Cashel - then back down to Kinsale, over to Beara Penninsula, skipped the Ring of Kerry, did the Dingle Penninsula, up through Adare to Bunratty and the Cliffs of Moher. Almost every night was in a different place, which was OK, I didn't feel rushed. BUT - in retrospect I would have spent more time on the west coast and less in the center and south. It's hard to think what I would have cut out since I did enjoy everything, but the west was just so much better (in MY opinion) that I wish I had spent more time there. I guess I'd cut out Kilmore Quay and maybe even Kinsale (and I would have skipped Dublin all together) and spent more time on the west coast. Cahel/Cahir and Kilkenny were "worth it" to me. But whatever you do you'll have a great time.