Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's so great about Kilkenney & Kinsale Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed tons of postings about people going to Kilkenny and Kinsale. What's so great about those places? If we're flying into and out of Dublin and have only 4 days to do as much of Ireland as we can, are they worth the visit?

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:38 PM

I have been to Ireland eight times in the last eight years and will visit Kilkenny for the first time this year based on what I have read here. I have two days to get from Kinsale to Roundstone and though I like to keep to the coast Kilkeeny sounds like a wonderful place and I'm sure others will give you some insight. Now with four day and landing in Dublin consider that Kilkenny is about three hours and kinsale about six hours. If your finale decision is Kinsale consider an Aer Arran flight from Dublin to Cork. Kinsale is then about a half hour drive. I have been to Kinsale five times and it is my wifes favorite place. Small village on a lovely harbour. Very narrow winding streets that were laid out long before anyone thought about autos. All very well maintained and very Irish with multi colored building fronts and windowboxes. Great Pubs and super resturants. Good B&B's and at a fair price or upscale hotels, your choice. Two good walking tours, one out of the tourist office for history and one out of the Tap Tavern at night for fun. Good music all over the village during the summer. Hope this helps, wish you had more time. Hint, there is a great little fishing village about 30 minutes south of Dublin called Greystones that will give you a real taste of Ireland. Have fun.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Sandy,

The popularity of both Kinsale and Kilkenny are justified, as both are attractive travel destinations.

Kilkenny is certainly worth a full day's exploration. St. Canice's Cathedral is well worth a stop (climb its tower for commanding views of the city and beyond), as is the city's castle. This small city also features a first-rate bookstore (very close to the castle, and some fine upmarket shopping which is located directly across from the castle.) You'll also enjoy strolling the narrow streets and alleyways. Kilkenny is Ireland's very best medieval city. Here's a bit of a secret: The true highlight of Kilkenny is the surrounding countryside. It remains relatively undiscovered, and features many fine and attractive small towns, such as Bennettsbridge, Thomastown, and Inistioge - all of which are ideal for leisurely exploration.

As regards Kinsale, it has long been considered Eire's gourmet capital, and for good reason. There are many fine eateries. The place is not for budget travelers, however. But if your wallet can cope, spend a few days in this town, one for the town itself (check out the marvelous Charles Fort), and two days to explore points west and the marvelous County Cork countryside.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:49 AM

I've been to both Kilkenny and Kinsale and liked them both (and am about to revisit Kinsale I liked it so much). But with only 4 days to spend, have you considered just staying in Dublin and seeing Dublin and the surrounding areas? There are pretty seaside towns nearby, and last time there I visited Powerscourt and Glendalough, which both have lovely scenery. I appreciate the desire to see more of the country, but it sounds like you'd be on the road an awful lot.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:56 AM

It sort of depends on what you are trying to do. It's hard to tell you if they are worth a visit if we don't know what brings you to Ireland. If you intend to spend some time in Dublin (it's hard to see much of Dublin in less than two days), then that wouldn't leave much time for other pursuits. Travel in Ireland is very slow by US standards and I don't think just stopping in a town to say you've been there is really worth it.

As Doriana suggested, there are plenty of fine things to do around Dublin. Glendalough, Powerscourt and Newgrange are always listed as top spots to visit in the east. Making it all the way to Co Cork and back seems like a bit much. Having said that, I tried that on my 1st visit, it resulted in some passenger tensions, but in the end, we've been back quite a few times.

Bill
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Again it depends on the type of traveller your are. I cannot speak to Kinsale as I have never been but Kilkenny is a wonderful town full of sites. Castles & cathedrals abound. It has also been voted Ireland's most beautiful town by the tourism board time after time. However with only 4 days available to you this may be a difficult side trip.

If you are looking for a side trip from the one's that have been suggested, I would highly recommend Newgrange. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the excellent feedback. We've decided to stick around the Dublin area (the Pale) and see the areas north, west and south of Dublin, as many you suggested: Newgrange, Kildare, Glenadough, Wicklow. We are travelling with 2 kids under 5 years old, so shorter driving times will suit us better. Thanks again!