Reload this Page >

What to pack for Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:12 PM
Carole

Hi, We leave in three weeks for Ireland (Feb. 12th). We live in Florida so we don't have that much in the way of warm clothing. I do have a thinsulate car length coat that I use when I go to NY. Before we arrive in Ireland we will be attending a 50th anniversary party in Liverpool so the black coat will come in handy for evening wear. Will I be OK with that or should I pack my London Fog jacket with a hood and use a sweater under it for Ireland? My husband has a leather bomber-type jacket. He can't use that with his suit. Bring his raincoat for Liverpool to go over his suit? Leather jacket for Ireland or London Fog jacket with a sweater under it? We are hoping for mild weather but want to be prepared to not freeze. I notice a few other people are going in February - too bad we can't meet up somewhere. Let me know where and when you are going and maybe we can arrange something. Thanks and happy travels!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:35 AM
csr

http://www.irelandexpert.com/<BR><BR>check out this web-site.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:35 AM
steve

You will probably be as cold today in Florida as you will in Ireland.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Carole

Steve you're right! 36 degrees right now. BBBRRRR! Today is the day I stay home and take down my Christmas decorations. I am not venturing out until it's back in the 70's - around next Wednesday. At least this cold weather will prepare us for Ireland. In Ireland I am concerned about the cold weather mixed with the rain. We haven't had rain since New Year's Eve here. I am familiar with the temps in Ireland I am just not sure which jackets to pack - winter or spring. Thanks!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:53 AM
DAVE HIGGINSON

the weather here in ireland today is dry but cold. the problem this time of the year is the wind which makes it several degrees colder than the temps that you are reading in your newaspapers.the secret is to wrap up well. the warmer the coat is the better.last week the ferries between liverpool and dublin were delayed for several hours due to rough seas, which gives you some idea obout the strengh of the wind. we have also had a lot of rain over the last few weeks so you need to keep warm and dry. on monday morning i had to scrae the ice of the car so that gives you an idea of the temps in the night.but it could change tomorrow and br dry and fine, but plan for wind and rain.whatever the weather i am sure you will have a good time.and remember it is always warm in the pub.<BR>regards dave<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:49 PM
bill

Carole:<BR><BR>One word ... &quot;layers&quot;. That always seems to work. Take the coat, take a sweater, take a turtleneck or two. Just don't bring too many clothes.<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 04:28 PM
cold

I froze in Ireland last June. Because I didn't have a warm winter coat along, I bundled up in about 4 layers. It is verrry windy near the coast...I also had to tie my hat on with a scarf, and my umbrella was constantly inside out...try to buy one designed for high wind.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Carole

Dave and Bill thanks for the info! That does it, I am bringing winter coat, sweaters, turtlenecks and gloves and a hat if I have room. We both pack a 22&quot; so that doesn't leave us much room but we will do the best we can. We pack for a week and then hit a laundromat for the second week. Really getting anxious now. Wish it was Feb. 12th. Dave - can you please put in a request for nice weather in February? Thanks loads.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:18 PM
cd

Carole<BR>My husband and I took thermal underwear with us to Ireland. Their light weight yet very warm under your slacks and sweaters. Not at all bulky to pack. throw in some plastic bags also in case you run into a lot of rain you can put them over your socks before putting on your shoes. Keeps your feet warm and dry.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Carole

Hi cd and cold, Thanks also for your suggestions. I have to see if I can buy thermal underwear here in FL. I bet with all the cool weather they are selling them. Plus, I like the idea of plastic bags for between socks and shoes. What a good idea. Gets the job done! Cold - I can't believe it could be that cold in June! I guess it doesn't make much of a difference with us going in February - makes me feel better. Thanks everyone for your helpful hints and thoughts. Stay warm.<BR>Carole

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Mike E

I was in Cork City April 01 eveything was very informal. My list would include a Gortex jacket w/ hood ;a couple of wool sweaters; a Gortex rain hat; a pair of good ankle high light weight hiking boots[ cobble stone streets can be nasty when wet]; jeans are ok too. Enjoy

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:56 AM
karan

Carole - <BR>If you can't find Thermals, pack &quot;Dancer's&quot; Thights. My daughter won't go anywhere without hers!<BR>-k