Weather in Ireland

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Weather in Ireland

We will be in Ireland from May 20-31 landing in Dublin. Reading everyone's suggestions have gotten me really excited about the trip. We don't really have an itinerary but will rent a car and plan to mosey over to the Dingle Peninsula by. Cork, Kilkenny, Connor Pass, Cliffs of Moher, Aran Islands all sound great from your descriptions and I think we will be able to get to all of them. We don't want to stress out too much and hopoe following our noses will be OK. Anyway, what kind of clothes to bring? Does it rain often? Is it warm enough to wear sandles? Is it cold at night? All advise is appreciated. Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:49 AM

In Ireland you can get all 4 seasons in one day. It shouldn't be cold at the end of May, although we have a saying over here 'don't cast a clout till May is out'. Expect an average temperature of around 18c dropping to around 10c at night but it is still possible to get frosts at night up until the end of May. One thing you can almost count on for sure is the rain (it's not called the Emerald Isle for nothing). My advise is bring your sandels, the sun could shine for your entire trip but don't count it. On the otherhand, make sure you pack a waterproof coat, a sweater and sturdy shoes which you will need whether the weather is good or bad for places like the Cliffs of Moher.

Enjoy your stay in Ireland and I hope the weather is kind to you.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:44 AM

"Expect an average temperature of around 18c dropping to around 10c at night but it is still possible to get frosts at night up until the end of May"

I don't kbnow what Ireland you are talking about, but it ain't the one next to Britain. You could just as likely get 12 days and 6 degree nights on the west coast.

and whatever the thermometer reads, the winds usually blow strongly in the damp air making it feel considerably colder than the actual temperture.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:49 AM
Ardfert

There is far more rain in the west of Ireland than in the east.It rains for 9% of the time there compared to 6% in, for example, Dublin.Mostly the rain is quite light and comes in the form of showers. Thunderstorms are rare as is snow.See www.meteireann.ie for more details from the Irish weather service

Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:11 AM

Metellus,
The Ireland I am talking about is the one I was born in and and lived all of my 40 plus years in and yes is it next to the British Isles.

It is wet in Ireland but not necessarly cold. The past few summers have been warm and clamy - I know - I live here and last year wished that I had air conditioning as it was so warm I was unable to sleep.

This morning the temperature is 15c and the sun is shining, however that could change in the afternoon.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:36 AM

We were in Ireland 3 yrs ago at the exact time you plan to be there. We were not prepared for how cold it was--they said it was freakish weather. It rained most of the trip--we went to Lisdoonvarna, CofM, Dingle, Galway bay and then drove to Kenmare, Kinsale, Ring of Kerry, Waterford and finally to Dublin. My Irish sweaters were at home in the cedar closet unfortunately. You will need a warm sweater and a hooded rainproof windbreaker. Even if you end up with nicer weather at least you will be prepared. Sandals would have been impossible and the Aran Islands not an option. We crossed the Shannon at Kilimer (?) and had to remain in the car due to wind & rain. We had a fairly decent day at Cliffs of M and the next day I wondered if it was possible that a person could be blown over the cliffs so I asked some locals and the answer was yes and it happens more often than one could imagine. Regardless of the weather (and you can have 4 seasons in one day) you will have a wonderful time. I can't wait to go back!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds like everything and the kitchen sink. Sounds like warm clothes and umbrellas are a must.