What to expect ATL-LGW-GLA

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to expect ATL-LGW-GLA

I have just booked a trip for an elderly friend, ATL on DL, connecting to BA in LGW to GLA. The connection is 1 hr 25 mins. Will this be a problem? Both flights are in Terminal N, but she gets easily winded and cannot rush. I now worry about her checked baggage & where she will clear customs at. I thought that she would go through customs in GLA, but cannot seem to determine if the LGW-GLA flight is international or domestic or what terminal she'll arrive in at GLA. Also, are there electric carts in LGW or should I arrange a wheelchair?

Thanks for any advice...
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM

How did you book this ticket? Is it one ticket (both flights booked together) or two separate itineraries? DL and BA are NOT partners.

If you booked on one ticket, she may be allowed to check her luggage thru to GLA (must ask for this to be done and watch the luggage tag put on). But DL will NOT issue a boarding pass for the BA flight.
If not, she will have to go thru immigration and retrieve her luggage to go thru customs and then check back in with BA to get her new boarding pass.

If she is on 2 separate tickets, chances are much less that her luggage will be checked thru. And 1 hr and 25 min will NOT be enough time.

No matter what, she will have to go thru immigration on arrival in LGW and get her boarding pass from BA. It's tight but doable with 1 hr 25 IF her ATL flight is not delayed. (Isn't ATL one of the busiest airports in the world?)

If you can, would suggest allowing a little more time in between flights. If 2 separate tickets, definitely need more time in between.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi Nibblette,

I booked this through Orbitz as one ticket. When I log into Delta via the record locator, it shows both flights, plus a return from LGW. I wonder if I should try to change the ticket... She is not a seasoned traveler.

What do you think?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM

ATL is one of the busiest airports in the world, but it's unlikely that a departing flight for Europe would be delayed unless the flight had originated elsewhere (unlikely--Atlanta is Delta's hub, but it would not be unreasonable to check). Only bad weather here in Atlanta at take off or very bad weather in London would delay her arrival. I fly Delta routinely to Europe and have never been arrived late and not infrequently arrive a bit early.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It will be a domestic flight and she will need to go through passport control and bag claim/customs/recheck at LGW.

Frankly, especially with an interline connection, I'd shoot for a later departure time from Gatwick.

Coming back, her bags will be checked all the way through - much easier process.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:50 PM
aggiemom

Hey OzNzBound - We connected at LGW last month bound for Amsterdam. We flew in from DFW on AA and connected to BA. It was a breeze but we did find it very disconcerting that the gate numbers were not announced or posted until about 17 minutes before departure! My Mom (77) was getting quite nervous. We didn't know where to wait. It worked out fine but just a "heads up" to you in case this is commonplace - it did seem to be a normal operation as no one else seemed worried. (I've only connected this one time in LGW to the continent.)

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all...

I guess the best I can do now is order a wheel chair for her.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Doble_Vergasser

I have two thoughts:
#1 We just flew Delta from ATL to Gatwick. The flight was 45 minutes late leaving and arrived 45 minutes late. We were told some passengers needed special meals and something had gone wrong with that. (flyer beware I guess).
#2 I have heard that Delta (and some other airlines) will fly children solo for about $50 extra. If this is true, then the $50 might by everybody some peace of mind.

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 07:02 AM

This may be obvious but... Please give as much information to the airlines as possible regarding special needs, onward flight connection etc.

The booking of a wheelchair would be a very good idea. The porters are normally very helpful and will know where to go.

You may want to have a look at the airport's website to help you get a feel of the layout etc - http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/gatwick/
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 07:46 AM

I believe we had about the same amount of connection time when connecting in London on our way to Amsterdam and we used every minute. Depending on which terminal you arrive in, it can be a bit of a walk to customs. We flew American and had to go to the ticket counter to get check into Br. Airways. Going through customs itself didn't take too long, but it just depends on how many people are flying in at the same time. For some reason, we found that the airport didn't seem to be labeled well. Ask for directions to get back to the gates after going through customs because it doesn't seem to be marked well. For someone who fatigues easily it might be helpful to have a wheelchair reserved.