Notices

What to do--Venice/Veneto

Old Mar 4th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do--Venice/Veneto

We were in Venice 18 years ago for a couple days and will be back in October at the end of a cruise. We have two days on the boat in Venice and are thinking of staying a few extra days. Our interests are art, history, culture. Recomendations of thing to do/see?
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 10:03 AM

Are you wanting people's favorites in these areas? If not, any guidebook will have a nearly endless list of art, history and culture sights. We took a very easy and quick train trip to Padova for the Scrovegni Chapel, but because I was injured, missed Basilica di S. Antonio. I'd go back. My favorite sight in the lagoon is the ancient cathedral on Torcello with it's beautiful mosaics and atmosphere.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 10:17 AM

"Our interests are art, history, culture." Well of course. Aren't those pretty much everyone's interests wherever they go in Europe? Plus maybe food and scenery. Doesn't give us much to go on, but of course Venice is full of all that. Like tuscanlifeedit, on our last trip to Venice we marveled at the Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta (and its two Caravaggios just innocently hanging on the walls) as well as the Trono di Attila. In Venice itself we were mesmerized for almost a full day by the Rialto market and the Ca' Pesaro.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:53 PM

The Olivetti showroom in the Piazza is fun.
The Architecture Biennale will be happening, and could keep you occupied for a couple of weeks. (I am allowing about ten days for the Biennale, but that’s just me.)
The Querini Stampalia Foundation is always worth a visit.
My favourite church is the Frari.
The Cini Foundation on San Georgio has tours.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions for day trips outside Venice?
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 11:23 AM

Depends how long you have in Venice. I've only been twice, for 4-5 days each, and found enough to do in the central area, I never got around to day-tripping.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 12:12 PM

Depending on what floats your boat/gondola/vaporetto/sandolo:
Padua and the Scrovegni? Chapel
Bassano del Grappa and the Paladian bridge
Treviso is fun, little rivulets flowing through the town
Vecenza if Palladian architecture grabs you
The cemetry at San Vito di’ Altivole has a fine monument by Venetian architect Carlo Scarpa
Verona, Piazzle Bra and the Castel Vecchio.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 01:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
We did day trips in the Veneto Padua, Bassano del Grappa and Vicenza when we were in Venice for two and half weeks. There is so much to do so if you have have only a few days stay put! Go out to Burano and Torcello, explore the various neighborhoods. Buy a Chorus Pass to the art filled churches.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 11:02 PM

It sounds like you might have a handfull of days in Venice, and that probably does not allow time for day trips. You were there 18 years ago, and the big ticket sights like the Ducal Palace and Basilica have not changed a bit in the 18 years.
tThe Accademia has been somewhat re-hung, but not in a big way, ditto for Ca’Rezzonico.
But you will discover interesting things if you go for what one might call the second rank attractions. These are mostly not static.

We have visited Venice heaps of times, because there is always something different happening. It might be an exhibition at the Fortuny, photographs at the Tre Ochi, micro sculptures at the Querini, a special exhibition at the Accademia.

Think about having some sort of an agenda, some sort of path. One visit, I was keen to see every Tiepolo work in Venice, and that took me to about 20 different venues. Another time, it was the architecture of Carlo Scarpa, Venice’s best known modern archi, and that was about ten places, including a bus trip to San Vito di’ Altivole and to Verona.

So have a think about a plan, an agenda or a trail, rather than an itinerary. It is fun to have a plan.

This is a really good web site for the returning visitor. It teaches me a lot, even though I have spent about ten months in Venice spread over half a dozen visits. For me, going to Venice is like opening a jewel box, never knowing what will be revealed.

https://www.theveniceinsider.com/

Venetian philosopher, Paolo Sarpi, once said “I never tell a lie. But the truth not to everyone.”
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 04:39 AM

My suggestions are

Saint Mark's Basilica
Rialto Bridge
Church of San Giorgio Maggiore
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 04:40 AM

My suggestions are :
Saint Mark's Basilica
Rialto Bridge
Church of San Giorgio Maggiore