3 days in Venice

May 19th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

3 days in Venice

We have 3 days in Venice and would love recommendations for what to do, see and experience. We love off-the-beaten tracks things, as well as great art, architecture and cool cafes. Is glass making worth seeing or too touristy? Any must sees? great walks?
May 19th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Hi.

1. Get lost! This is not a smart aleck remark, but rather a suggestion. Losing yourself in Venice's jungle of walkways is a revealing delight.

2. Don't miss Peggy Guggenheim's home and museum. It is terrific and very...relaxing.

3. Stroll the Jewish ghetto. Fascinating and somehwhat sad in that it is a reminder of the madness of prejudice and hatred that has plagued Jews for millenia.

Have a great trip.
May 19th, 2005, 07:41 AM

Some of our favorite things in Venice include the Rialto Market (at the Rialto Bridge) - go early in the day. Near Rialto is the Scale di Bovolo. It is a spiral Gothic staircase built in 1499 with wonderful views of Venice from the top. You will get lost looking for it but that's OK - it is well worth it.
Also be sure to visit the I Frari in San Polo for its two wonderful Titians and right behind the Frari Church, visit the Scola Grande di San Rocco for its Tintorettos.
Have lunch on the Zattare.
May 19th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Just returned from lovely Venice. The Secret Itineraries tour in the Doges Palace is excellent. You need to reserve in advance. I enjoyed Casa Rezzonica (a museum of 18thC Venice), the Rialto market, St. Marks Square. Just wander around, eat gelato and soak in the wonder of Venice.

I went to Murano (I was outvoted) and would not suggest it unless you are looking for something special and expensive.

Have a wonderful time!
May 19th, 2005, 07:45 AM
ira

Hi ann,

Get up early and go to the Rialto fish market.

Take a sunset ride on the vaporetto on the grand canal.

>We love off-the-beaten tracks things..<
As noted - get lost.

May 19th, 2005, 07:48 AM

What Pilchard said. Venice does have destinations to see and do, and you can easily find the main ones in any guide book. But more to the point, Venice IS a destination to see and do.

Three words: controlled directional misadventure. Getting lost in Venice is one of life's sublime pleasures. Dive right in and get the full flavor!
May 19th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Just went last September and agree with Rialto Fish market. Take the Vaporetta ( gondola) if you can to cross the canal..it is only 75 cents and very fun. Loved the Peggy Guggenheim and we also took the water taxi to Murano and had lunch. Very nice. Definitely buy the 3 day water taxi unlimited pass for 21 euros. You get off and on as much as you please..well worth it. We also had a good casual meal at Osteria Albergo that we really enjoyed!
May 19th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Slight correction -- the gondolas that cross the Grand Canal at various points are called traghetto (plural traghetti). Most good maps show the locations; they're fun. Locals stand, tourists usually sit.
May 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM

You don't have a lot of time but a vaporetto to the islands of Burano and Torcello are wonderful. A couple of hours on each island, with a wine or coffee break, is doable.
May 19th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Where is that darn edit button? "Is wonderful".
May 19th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Pilchard is right. Get lost and you discover the best places.

The outdoor cafe right in front of St. Mark's is wonderful late in the afternoon...a bit pricey for a drink. But worth it for a place to relax and just watch the crowds.

The glass-blowing factory was o.k just to see how it's done....but there are lots of nice little galleries all around that sell much more unusual pieces. The factory stuff was a bit ornate for my tastes.
May 19th, 2005, 02:51 PM
jgg

Go up the campanile (bell tower) in St. Mark's Square. The views of Venice are spectacular.
May 19th, 2005, 03:01 PM

You don't say when you will be there, but this is a Biennale year and that alone can provide art, architecture and cool cafes! [In 2003 the temporary Illy cafes were the hippest daytime thing I ever saw in Venice in all my days!] Can easily spend a full day or more getting through all the installations...and as suggested above, be sure to get lost going and coming!
May 19th, 2005, 04:08 PM

If you love great art, don't miss the Accademia. Also, get lost. Glass blowing is OK, just takes time to get to Murano and you only have three days.
May 20th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like we'll be getting lost.
And probably skipping any glass blowing trips. We go in late June. And the dum question: Are comfy sandals ok or do you need something for all the water? Rubber bottomed shoes or?
May 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM

I was there at the end of May and wore sandals the whole time, there was no rain at all. Just make sure your shoulders and knees are covered when visiting the Basilica, and you have no backpacks. That's the one thing I wish I had known! I would also recommend (like the others) just walking down back alleys...there are some great hidden squares.You must go to St. Mark's Square at night to hear the orchestras..it almost seems too perfect! We spent a day at Murano and Burano- we liked Burano best. But, like peggyann said, it takes a while to get out and back. Have Fun!
May 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM
mms

We enjoyed a day at Murano. We did not go into any of the glass blowing factories, but rather just wandered around.

Not sure if this interests you at all, but the Italian Naval Academy is in Venice, and there is a museum, so that is something to do that is not the norm.

Definitely just get lost
May 20th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Hi
I have a long file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

One way I enjoy spending half a day:
Walk from San Marco to the Jewish Ghetto, by way of Rialto. Good shopping/browsing to be seen along Strada Nuova, plus some museums and churches, not to mention the Rialto area.
From the Jewish Ghetto (there are guided tours, if you wish), walk on to the train station. As ira suggested, take a long vaporetto ride, from the train station back to San Marco. The sights along the Grand Canal are just gorgeous, and the ride is one of the best bargains anywhere.