things to see/do in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, my wife and I are planning our first trip to Italy later this year. We have 1-1/2 weeks for our vacation. How much time do you think we would need to spend in Venice? We are planning to split up our time between Venice and Florence.

thanks
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 02:42 PM

I would give Venice at least 3 days. Go away from the tourist areas to the little back canals. That is where you will find the true Venice. It is pure magic. I will be there in Sept. and I cant wait !!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:03 PM

I would give Venice at least 3 whole days. Things to do -

Doges Palace
Cathedral San Marco
Catch a vaporetto all the way along the grand canal
Vaporetto to Lido - walk the main street to the beach (have a gelato on the way or if the weather is cold a hot chocolate)
Just wander around and get lost (that's the most fun)
A gondola ride (of course)
Dinner or lunch at a restaurant with outdoor seating (and watch the world go by).
Murano and Burano (Murano for glass, Burano for lace)
Stand (or sit if you want to spend the money) and listen to the little orchestras that play around St. Marco.
There are a thousand things to do - you will fill in 3 days without any trouble at all.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:22 PM
ed

I just got the EyeWitness 10 best things in Venice.

We have been in Venice but this book is fantastic.

I got this copy out of the local library
but I am going to buy a copy for our upcoming trip.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:38 AM

3 days in Venice - see Secret tour of Doges Palace (VERY interesting and see Casanova's cell) buy ticket at Doge's palace, San Marco Basilica (obviously) and Peggy Guggenheim's palace and modern art collection (a rest from the ancient, religious art). DO go up the campanile of San Giorgio Maggiore by lift instead of San Marco's for fabulous 360 degree views of Venice.
In Florence go to the Accademia for David, and the Bargello for fabulous statues! Walk everywhere!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 02:41 AM

You'll love both cities.

My wife and I were there last year. If you'd like our travelog, email me at:
[email protected]

Happy trails.

Bob
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 03:14 AM

There are dozens of churches and pallazzos that have great art and/or interesting architecture and/or fab furnishings. They are scattered all over the city--too many to list here, but check out various guidebooks and websites to compile a list of which ones appeal to you.

Venice also has a lot of specialty museums that most tourists never even realize exist--some examples: the Correr (history of the Serenissima Republic and important picture gallery), the Lace Museum, the Naval History Museum, the Vertario and the Barovier & Toso Glass museums, Pallazzo Grassi Museum, the Oriental Museum, Natural History Museum, Archaeological Museum, Ca' Pesaro Oriental Art, Querini Stampalia Museum, the various Scuole Grandi scattered about the city, Jewish Museum (and the Ghetto itself), Museo dell'Estuario on Torcello (archaeology), Byzantine Icon Museum, not to mention various temporary exhibitions that are always passing through.