Padua or Verona or stay x-tra in Venice?

Apr 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Padua or Verona or stay x-tra in Venice?

We have 3 1/2 days (4 nights) in Venice in last week of June. Would you just stick to seeing Venice at a leisurely pace or pack it in and do a day trip to Padua or Verona? Is Padua or Verona a must see and worth that commute time. Thoughts? Suggestions on Itinerary? Our first day is a Sunday in Venice so San Marco does not open until 2pm.
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:53 AM

If itís your first time in Venice, and you have the four nights, I would recommend spending it in Venice. You could take worthwhile excursions to the nearby islands of Burano, Murano, or Torcello. That is not to say that Padua and Venice are not worth the time. They are. But I would drink in as much of Venice as possible if I were you this first time, rather than diluting that time by hurrying off to Padua or Venice. (Others will say Iím wrong.)
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Vacationer-I've spent a month in Venice just in the last 7 months-so obviously, I think there's always something to do-I don't believe in tourist overloading, so I like to take things in, relax at a bar in a piazza with a spritz and chat with friends or take in the scene. Padova is a must-see city, the art in this city is simply stunning-the Giotto frescos in the Cappella Scrovegni and also in the Duomo, the Basilica di' Sant' Antonio (called "Il Santo" by the Padovani) the Palazza del Ragione with its zodiac symbols, the 15th century anatomical theater-there's really too much to see in a day. A walkable city, pedestrianized center, you can reach everything by foot. After I came away from Padova, I felt I had a much better understanding of early medieval art from the 13-14th century. Plus there is the legendary 19th century Gran Caffe Pedrocchi-that you can stop at mid-point in your walks to experience the history and take refreshment or a snack.

If you want to go someplace else for a day, Padova is only 30 minutes away by train. Verona is much farther, and IMO, is much more spread out, and does not have nearly as much to see as Padova.

It just depends on what your interests are. I actually would advise staying in Venice for that period of time, however, to really get a sense of its timeless patrimony. This is an itinerary I posted for Venice on another post:

For Venice, you want to see the history of La Serenissima, to get a sense of the Venetian republic at its zenith-to do that, you have to make the Palazzo Ducale your first stop, you'll want to see the astounding Sala dei Maggior Consiglio, with its huge Tintoretto mural on one wall, the portraits of the Doges along the walls (the Doges being the former civil head of authority in Venice) and the incredible frescoed ceiling-this huge hall, one of the largest in the world of its type, was the diplomatic reception area for the Republic during the 15, 16th century. You'll also want to tour the Basilica of San Marco next door, to see its magnficent golden mosaics inside, its frescoes, and to go up inside so you can walk around the outside of the Basilica to see the view.

In any visit to Venice, you'll want to take the vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal to see the magnificent palazzos that line the Grand Canal, but you'll also want to see the inside of one of these gorgeous palazzos as well, to see how the wealthy and titled Venetian families lived during the heyday of the Republic. For that you need to visit the beautiful Ca' Rezzonico on the Grand Canal, with its sumptious decor, and priceless art- works by Canaletto, Titian, and Tintoretto, which shows Venice and Venetians in various centuries, a fascinating pictorial history, as it were, with a lovely garden outside, and a nice little cafe for refreshment. Ca'Rezzonico is a must-see, IMO.

Then, I would suggest getting on the vaporetto, to go over for a visit to the island of San Giorgio Maggiore, where Benedictine monks have inhabited this island for over 1,000 years, to see their stunning complex of a church built by Andrea Palladio, with its priceless works by Tintoretto, Palma di Giovane, and Titian, its two lovely cloisters, but particularly, to go up in their campanile (bell tower) to see the incomparable views of Venice and the lagoon area-you can see everything from here, it seems-really stunning.

And finally, I would suggest a tour of La Fenice, the exquisite Venetian opera house, to see Venice's present day culture, and I would try to get tickets to a performance so you can experience this opera house and its magnificent acoustics.

www.teatrolafenice.it/index.php

Or, as an alternative, I would get tickets to a performance at the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista, to a concert or an opera that they regularly present. San Giovanni Evangelista is a stunning building going back several centuries, with murals and paintings by the great Venetian masters Bellini, Carpaccio, Tintoretto, Tiepolo, sculptural work by Mauro Codussi, among others. It is used by the Venetians for cultural presentations, and the President of Italy came for a visit just last week. The vast salon of San Giovanni is where the concerts are held, and it is truly stunning. You can view the salon, and/or purchase tickets for a concert at this website:

www.classictic.com/venues/52.html

These are some of the places I would advise to see for a first trip to Venice, to get a sense of its history and culture, past and present.

Apr 7th, 2007, 08:38 AM

I would spend all the time (3-1/2 days or 4 nights is hardly that much!) in Venice.
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM
ira

Hi V,

I would stay in Venice this time.

After you have visited 5 or 6 times, you can start thinking about daytrips elsewhere.

Apr 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Hello Vacationer, as much as I love Padua (Padova in Italian) I too would stay in Venice considering the time that you have there.

However if when you are in Venice if you decide you do want a day trip you can easily buy the tickets that day and take the short train trip to Padova. So you don't have to make a decision now. Although I like Verona I much prefer Padova. Best wishes and enjoy your time in Italy.

Apr 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM

bookmarking
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:19 AM

I agree with those who have said there is more than enough to fill up all your time without leaving Venice.
However, I certainly think a day trip to Padua would be very do-able. It depends a lot on what interests you and especially what kind of artwork you enjoy. I have loved visits to Venice but have to admit that Tintoretto and Titian don't appeal to me nearly as much as the amazing Giotto frescoes in Padua.

If you are not going to Ravenna I would recommend the trip to the island of Torcello to see the beautiful Byzantine mosaics in the Cattedrale di Torcello

When you first arrive in Venice, before visiting San Marco Sunday afternoon I would just plan to walk and explore the city and/or take the vaporetto trip down the Grand Canal. I have found it important to have a good, detailed map of the city.