Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do on 2 day layover in Frankfurt?

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying from Vancouver to Jo'burg with time in Frankfurt. We are dithering whether on not to stay in Frankfurt itself during that time or maybe drive to one of the pretty towns nearby. All opinions gratefully received. Would love suggestions for a divine location, a wonderful hotel with quiet rooms, a very comfortable bed. A swimming pool would be a real bonus. Good food would really suit us well too.
We plan to walk and just veg out for these two days.
Looking forward to all thoughts. Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM

My husband and I just spent a day and night in Frankfurt this past Monday. I was not impressed with the city, but we did see a limited area. I guess much of it was destroyed in WWII and rebuilt. Not a whole lot of charm where we were.

We stayed at the Hilton on Hochstrasse 8 which was a 5-minute walk to shopping (which, I do admit was very nice) and restaurants. The Hard Rock Cafe is a 2-minute walk from the Hilton.

I'd recommend finding a charming town nearby. I cannot recommend any as I am not familiar with the area, but I'm sure someone here can help further.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Consider taking the train down to the middle Rhein (St. Goar, Bacharach). It's only and hour and a half, or so, from FRA, and Hotels there are a lot less than in Frankfurt.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Towns within an hour that are worth looking into - Wiesbaden, Heidelberg, Bacharach and (though I've never been there for any length of time - Mainz).
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:12 AM

Another worthwhile destination that can be reached within one hour is the pretty old university town of Marburg.
More here: http://www.marburg.de/detail/24695

You'll be jet lagged. Save yourselves the hassle of driving, relax and take the train. All destinations mentioned in this thread can easily be reached by train. The train network is efficient and comfortable.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM

If you decide to go to the Rhein, St. Goar and Bacharach are less than 2 hours from FRA by train. Take an S-bahn from the regional Bahnhof (underground across the street from terminal 1) to Mainz for €3,55 each, then in the Hauptbahnhof in Mainz, purchase a Rheinland-Pfalz-Ticket from one of the automats for €25 (€27 at a ticket counter); that price is valid for both of you (up to five, actually) all day for travel on regional trains. With a Rheinland-Pfalz-Ticket, you can travel down the Rhein as far as Bonn or up the Mosel to the French border.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM

If you want a beautiful, relaxing venue for the two days, I might suggest the Black Forest town of Bad Herrenalb (www.bad-herrenalb.de). It's about an hour from FRA by ICE, plus a 40 minute streetcar ride up into the Black Forest. There are lot of reasonably priced accommodations in Bad Herrenalb, although it helps if you can speak German a little. (I've stayed there four times in four places and only once had one person speak one sentence to me in English.)

In addition to a lot of hiking possibilities in the surrounding hills, there is a therme (spa). If you only stay on the "family" side, there is a nice, warm pool for adults only. On the Siebentaler Therme (seven valleys spa) side, they have steam rooms, sauna's, and jaccuzis, but it is an authentic German "Bad"; it is coed and the dress code is what they call "textilefrei" (Clothing is not even optional). If you can get over the cultural difference, soaking in the sauna's is a wonderful way to start to get over jet lag.

For the most part, I found food there to be good, but a little on the expensive side.

By the way, Monch's Post Hotel in Bad Herrenalb is very well known and highly rated.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone who has answered our question. We are now pursuing the suggested options to stay outside Frankfurt.
We are considering Heidelberg and seeing if we can take the train there.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM

Heidleberg is worth an afternoon at most.

Better you should take a Rhine cruise to Köln and Düsseldorf, and then hustle back to Frankfurt Flughafen on an ICE to catch your plane.

Get a Michelin Germany Green book to find the things you would like to see.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM

I forgot to mention that Brooklyn, New York is far more interesting than Frankfurt.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:33 AM

Bad Homburg v. d. Hoehe is very close to Frankfurt and can be reached by S-Bahn from Airport changing into either another S or U-Bahn. There is a Taunus Thermal Bath www.taunus-therme.de which is a great way to relax. Check the website. When I lived in Frankfurt, I used to go there. Haven't been there for a long time, but the pictures and descriptions still look great and they have expanded there treatment options. Bad Homburg is in the Taunus area (beautiful hilly forest. You might want to check out some forums for Hotels. Sachsenhausen is fun to go to. Just be careful drinking all that Applewine. There is a lot of information on the web. It's close to Frankfurt, yet very beautiful and you have the Thermal baths.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:36 AM

OOps, if I confuesed you. Sachsenhausen is an area in Frankfurt, not Bad Homburg.