What to do in Venice

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Venice

Ok, - beyond the typical tourist things like Piazza San Marcos, etc - Anybody have any hints on things we should do in Venice in June?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Venice is not large geographically so is the perfect place to walk, wander, and get lost. Taking the vaporetto along the Grand Canal is a good budget way to have a water tour. Knowing a few major landmarks (Rialto Bridge, L'Accademia Bridge, San Marcos) and which is nearer your hotel will help you find your way home (these are often painted on the building corners with arrows pointing the general direction).
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Just try your hardest to get lost! You will find the most appealing buildings, shops, and cafes as you wander the smaller sidestreets. There are probably a hundred churches and chapels to peek into. Notice the different sculptures and gargoyles on the edges of the buildings. Of course, you can't become too lost - P
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Any day trips outside Venice that we should consider?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 11:47 AM
ira

Hi abby,

Have you looked at the miniguide to Venice at www.fodors.com?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Don't forget the islands...Murano...Burano....etc. It's wonderful floating on the vaporetto & exploring the islands of the Veneto.

If you have an extra day or two...head up to the Dolomites...Val de Gardena....spectacular!!

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Definitely don't miss out on Burano and Torcello (personally, I like Burano better).

But, yeah, like everyone keeps saying...just get yourself lost in the Venice experience. Hard to explain, but you'll understand once you're there.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would decide depending on how long you will be in Venice. If you have 1-3 days I'd stick with Venice proper. If you have a week, then you can catch boats out even to the Lido, or islands of Murano, Burano, etc. Isn't there a cemetary island, as well?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Hi
I see you're taking a trip to several locations, I've seen your other postings.
I'm wondering if you've purchased any guidebooks yet, as they have excellent suggestions for places to see, daytrips, even the unusual.

I have a long file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

I have a number of guidebooks already - I'm just curious which places in there are must-sees for a lot of people, or if there's anything people liked that's not in my guidebooks. Thanks anyways though =)
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 01:02 PM

One place we wanted to visit, but our timing was off is the Naval Academy in Venice.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:38 PM

The church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli (quite close to the Rialto) is a tiny jewel.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Melissajoy

As soon as you arrive in Venice buy a 3-day (72-hour) vaporetto pass for 22 euros. Buy one for each person. It gives you unlimited on and off privileges for the vaporettos, including the ones that go to Murano, Burano, etc.

From San Marco square find the vaporetto stop where you can get the #82 to San Giorgio Maggiore....the little island you can see across the water when you're standing at San Marco square. It's a 5-minute vaporetto ride (included if you've got the 72-hour vaporetto pass). Go into the church on the island and find the elevator. There's no line...for 2 or 3 euros a friendly man will take you up to the tower, where you will get a gorgeous 360 degree view of Venice and surroundings. (There's another tower on San Marco square but there's usually a line to get up in that one.)

The people working in the vaporetto ticket lines and the ones working on the vaporettos are very helpful in answering questions if you want to know which vaporetto to take.

Venice has the most expensive food. so bring restaurant recommendations with you or you'll end up paying for expensive food and not enjoying it!

We liked pizza for lunch at a questionable-looking restaurant with good pizza, good prices, and tables right on the Grand Canal. You'll be skeptical when you first look at it but it's good, I promise! Restaurant/Pizzeria Accademia Foscarini, next to the Accademia Bridge and Galleria in the dorsoduro area. Pizzas for 7 or 8 euros. Sit right on the water. Cheapest meal with a view in Venice!

If you want expensive food that is okay but not great, but an unbeatable atmosphere, have your hotel make you a reservation for a canal-side table for dinner at Ristorante da Raffaele. It's on a little canal that's a main gondolier route, so you'll get serenaded for free when the gondolas drift by! A very memorable experience. Food is just okay, we've had better. Order pasta and wine. Don't get the lasagna. Fish is okay too. This is the only restaurant in Italy where they will bring you the bill before you ask for it...that's because they want to get rid of you so they can make money from the next customers!

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:20 PM

I've had more misses than hits when it comes to food in Venice, but who cares? It's Venice.

However, I will second the pizza by the Accademia bridge. It IS good and so convenient just to sit down, have some wine, some pizza and look at the Grand Canal (and the bazillion tourists all around you) when your feet hurt.

If you are young or youngish, Campo Santa Margherita is a fun place to hang out at night. And the bars in that area of Dorsoduro (and where that area borders on San Polo/Santa Croce) are full of college/grad students and types.

Needless to say I had a few adventures in that neck of the woods a few years back!

Have a wonderful time. Venice is breathtaking.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:28 PM

If you're looking for atypical tourist things to do, take one of the walking tours in a guide book that takes you through the residential neighborhoods. See how the locals live and work.

However, be sure to do the typical tourist things. Of all the places I've been to, those typical tourist things are best in Venice. So don't miss 'em! Yes, that includes taking a gondola ride, especially through the smaller canals.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, there's some good stuff in here. Can't wait!