What to Do in Rome on Easter Sunday

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to Do in Rome on Easter Sunday

What activities/events/venues remain open in Rome on Easter Sunday for a family of 5 (3 Adults and 2 Children) to enjoy - other than attending mass and eating a fine meal.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM

I don't know for sure, but based on a similiar experience (Christmas Day 2003 in Milan), I would say very, very little. We had a hard time even finding a restaurant open for dinner. It was like the entire city had been deserted.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM

I'm not sure about Rome, but we were in Florence for the Easter period two years ago and loved it. I'm not sure about events but you can check that out on the web. We spent lots of time just going from one beautiful church to the next to check out the floral displays, also hundreds of candles which added to the beauty.

There was no problem finding places to eat and if all else fails,you'll never tire of just strolling around the streets of Rome.

Hope you have a great time.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM

I've spent several Easters in Rome, the last one with my two daughters, and this what we usually do:
Morning--spend it at the Vatican. Easter Mass with the Pope takes up most of the late morning. No tickets required if you want to stand in the back. Otherwise you can contact Bishop's Office of the North American College in Rome for free tickets.
Afternoon--leisurely lunch after Mass. Usually takes up to three hours. Restaurants that are open include Le Volte and Vecchia Roma.
Late Afternoon/Evening--Kids might enjoy the Time Elevator which is open on Easter. Walk around the Forum or the Borghese Gardens. If the kids are little, there is a small amusement area near the movie theater in the Borghese that has games and rides. The park in the Villa Sciarra also has an amusement area. The Pasquino movie theater in Trastevere shows movies in English and is open on Easter Sunday night.
Dinner--usually we are full from the big lunch so it's pizza at one of the many pizzerie you will find open in the Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiore neighborhoods.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM
ABENDIGO

Two years ago I spent a Easter Sunday in Rome, and everything was absolutly closed. Mostly eateries and ice cream parlors. I enjoyed myself walking the city.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM
ABENDIGO

mostly eateries and ice cream parlors were open.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:36 PM

there are plenty of sites in Rome that are just enjoyed by walking around them. the forum, the many villas ( i once had a brochure with the "villas of rome" i'll look for it), the aquaducts, the fountains, every piazza has the obilisque(sp??) or a statue.

one day, i walked from piazza bologna to the vatican. it took about 3 hours, stopping in little shops on the way, but i enjoyed it very much. admiring fountains, little details of art. etc etc. it's something people rarely do, so take advantage of that.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

A very sincere and heartfelt "Thank You" to everyone who responded to our question. We hope you have many wonderful and safe travels around the world.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Hi, I see someone mentioned that you did not need tickets for Easter Mass at the vatican if you stood up in the back. That posting was a few yrs ago & was wondering if anyone could anyone verify that its that simple. I did it this way 35 yrs ago except back then we were not too far back. If standing at the rear is the norm for many without tickets then Id assume that we would be near the rear of the square. Ill be w my 6 yo daugter.. & getting the ticket, waiting to be seated & staying for the duration of the service may not work.., im not sure.. however going for any period of time would certainly be worth it. ANY ADIITIONAL INFO ON ATTENDING WITHOUT A TICKET WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. G. LORUSSO
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 01:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, dmiclat,

via my trusty friend google, I found this site which helpfully gives all the opening times and dates for the major sighhts:

http://www.tickitaly.com/tickets/colosseum-tickets.php

eg - the colosseum is open every day except Christmas Day and new year's day.

i might feel inclinied to reserve the restaurant in advance for that "fine" meal, perhaps at one you eat in earlier in the trip and decide that you like.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 01:58 AM

Easter Sunday Mass in St Peter's Square takes place at 10.30 am. The areas from around the obelisk forward are reserved seats only with tickets required. Areas further back, from the barriers to the entrance of the square are free standing room, but people typically camp out or start queing before dawn for a spot, as you can imagine Rome is packed to the gills with pilgrims and tourists. While there are large TV screens erected strategically to relay the proceedings, to get any actual view of the altar, you need to be prepared to join the campers or pre-dawn lines (the police won't let you into the piazza until a couple of hours before Mass). So it's going to be a very long wait for you. Even if you are at the back, a priest or a eucharistic minister will come round with the hosts for communion.
The Pope gives his blessings Urbi et Orbi at 12 noon from the central loggia above the square.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Alec, I Thank you! You obviously know your stuff. I remember 35 yrs ago when I was there on Sunday morn, we were in a bus with all traffic converging towards the square. Eventually traffic came to a stop & everyone including bus drivers, taxi drivers etc.. abandoned their vehicles & continued walking towards the sqaure until we stopped, with no where else to go & saw Easter Mass. I was a kid but the entire experience really really stuck out in my mind, seeing the pope just standing there with thousands.. & how all the buses & cars were left in a gridlock position blocks behind. After that I seem to remember eating at Alfredos in or near the square..supposedly one of the first restaurants that specialized in fettucini Alfredo. It was served by 2 men who whelled the pasta & ingredients out on a cart. One played the accordian while the other sort of mixed it together while dancing. Pretty cool memories.