What to do in Paris

Search

What to do in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Paris

I'm going to be in Paris in March 2005 for 6 days with my wife and 2 daughters, aged 13 and 15. I'm trying to get some ideas about what to see, where to eat and where to stay. The wife and kiddos like to shop. We're looking for "mid scale" regarding prices. I've been doing some reading but the options seem overwhelming!
Anyone have some ideas for me?
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:12 PM

Use the search function and you will find numerous posts on Paris with kids. The 6th Arrondisement is a nice place to stay if you like to shop - even the window shopping is enjoyable. We like the Hotel des Saints-Peres in the 6th. It is a charming 3*. It might be easier for us to suggest options if you were a little more precise on "mid scale" and on things you like to do in addition to shop.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:17 PM

Take the Metro and go see the cemetary where Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde, and Chopin are buried. It's quite beautiful.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:38 PM

"What to see" is a very personal decision. And I agree, overwhelming.

Here's something to get you started:

Eiffel Tower (at sunset to see the lights come on)

Louvre (study up and know a few things you all want to see and where they're located in the museum...it's HUGE! Let the teens do the research on the Louvre)

Musee D'Orsay: Another fab museum.

Boat cruise on the Seine---you might want to do two---one without the teenagers.

Versailles: Research it and decide if you want to spend full day or half day.

I think the teens would enjoy the Marais and its kind of funky shops. There are some good sites to research concerts, theater, etc. (I don't have links). Looks on the Fodors "destination" page for their itineraries in Paris.

I can recommend Hotel de Notre Dame, very centrally located right at ND Cathedral and the river. About 150 euro, double.
http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/

Lastly, don't overplan. You'll want lots of time just to wander the streets of Paris and sit at cafes watching the world go by. Y'all will have a blast!

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:52 PM

Have your daughters do the research for you; that will get them involved.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:19 PM

I would start with a good Paris guidebook, probably the Eyewitness series, to get an overview of the city and start getting an idea of the various regions (arrondissements) and what in them might interest you. "Mid-scale" means different thing to different people; you need to set a fairly exact figure before you start thinking about hotels. I imagine you'll be looking for a 3* hotel, and those are around 200 Euros for a double room.

Where to eat depends a good deal on what kind of food you like and how much you want to spend. But in Paris you will have many, many choices.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:53 PM
ira

Hi,

Have you looked at the miniguide to Paris at www.fodors.com?
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:06 PM

I agree with the idea of getting your daughters involved. Have them pick out specific things they want to see and do - and learn a little about France at the same time. And naturally they'll want to learn some basic French - if they're not already taking it in school get a good set of CDs so they can practice - that way they'll be more comfortable when they want to go do girlie things while the parents relax.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions y'all. I'm looking forward to the trip!

We're also thinking about an overnight trip to London from Paris on the high speed Chunnel train. Anyone tried it?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:47 PM

A trip all the way to Paris is worth the minimal investment in a good guidebook such as Michelin Green Guide or Eyewitness, as those resources will show you exactly what there is to see and do as well as provide you with a wealth of practical information. I would never rely on internet forums alone for such a trip if it is your first trip. You need to invest some serious time in researching the area and considering what there is to do and see relative to your interests. A venue like Paris is so rich in sites and history and possibilities for shopping and dining and sightseeing that it can be overwhelming for a first-time visitor. So delve into the guidebooks and then come back with specific questions. And what is "mid-scale" as far as price goes? The majority of posters on this forum are American, so what we might consider "mid-scale" might be exorbitant by your standards. If you can quote a price range in euros, it would be more helpful.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 04:36 AM

Forget going to London if you are only in Paris for 6 days.