What to Do in Bavaria?

Search

What to Do in Bavaria?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to Do in Bavaria?

I'm off to Munich in mid-March to visit a friend, but I have one week to myself while he goes to a conferance in London. I'm thinking of spending 3 days or so exploring central Munich, then the next four heading out to explore some nearby areas. I'd like so see Neuchwanstein and Linderhof (is that possible/advisable in one daytrip from Munich?), Dachau (what are people's impressions of this one?) and Bayreuth (again, can this be done as a daytrip?) Also, seeing as how I have never seen snow before, I would really like to head to the mountains for a day. Would a day of skiing be possible, and would it be worth it considering I have never skied before and would need to learn? If so, can anyone recommed one such alpine place to visit?

Thanks very much for all the help,
Marianna H.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM

That sounds like a nice trip! I'm not sure if you can do both castles in one day (from other threads it seems possible), but separately they can both be done in one day for sure. I enjoyed (if that is the correct word) both of my trips to Dachau. I personally would not skip it. I don't know where to go for skiing, but I would suggest a daytrip to Salzburg as well. I'm sure you will see snow there (I was there in March before), and there is a variety of things to see there.

Enjoy your trip! I will be in Bavaria in May.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:46 PM

You can do Neuschwanstein and Linderhof easily in one day. Probably Hohenschwangau, too. Though not totally necessary, you can make your reservations for Neuschwanstein (and Hohenschwangau, if you want) online before you go. This would let you schedule your daytrip better.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:10 AM

Hi Mariannah,

I think you'll have a wonderful time!

For your skiing question, I think a good venue would be Garmisch, just south of Munich. You can take lessons for a day and rent your equipment there, but you may want to stay over one or two nights because you'll be exhausted when it's over.

Here's a link to ski schools in Garmisch from the Garmisch-tourism website:

http://www.garmisch.de/en/1a31b22c-9...53e3ebcf4.html

I learned to ski in Bertesgaden when I was . . . WAY . . . over 30 years old, and I still enjoy skiing today. I think it's a very worthwhile diversion!

By the way, learning to ski goes a lot better when you can devote a week to it, and many resorts offer a "learn-to-ski-week." I think you should consider this for your one free week -- you'd be with one class, usually the same people, for the week, and it's a nice atmosphere. You could play hookey for one or two days, or maybe an afternoon or two, to explore the castles, etc.

Anyway, have fun!

s
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:19 AM
ira

Hi M,

You can drive or train to Salzburg and visit Berchtesgaden and/or the surrounding lakes (Salzkammergut).

>Would a day of skiing be possible, and would it be worth it considering I have never skied before ...<

Yes. No.

Have a lovely visit.

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:47 AM

Dachau is very interesting and very worthwhile. The first time we went I thought I might not want to go through it and told my family that if I left I would meet them in the car, but since then I have been throught it 3 times. It is a very important part of history and very worthwhile seeing.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:39 AM

For ira -- I'm curious about why you say a day of learning to ski wouldn't be worthwhile? Do you ski? Does any member of your family? Can you elaborate?

s
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM

I'm not trying to answer for Ira, but I also don't think one day of skiing would be worth it if you are starting from scratch.

My reasons: For many people (I'd say most, but I've never seen any actual poll results), the first day of learning to ski is more frustrating than it is fun. Skiing successfully (and enjoying the experience) takes some learned skills, plus you use muscles you haven't used before, and some of the techniques are counterintuitive. So that first day can be a bit unsettling, especially if you don't have a learning "buddy" with you to share in the "fun."

That said, if you're very athletic and plan to continue skiing when you return home, then it might be worth giving it a shot. Might be.

But that's just one guy's opinion. Some people just like to try stuff whether they intend to continue with it or not.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:37 AM
ira

What RTF said.

I would liken it to learning to drive a manual transmission after I got to my vacation destination.

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM

yeah...but what better place to start your ski lessons??? At the very least she can enjoy a drink and watch others.