Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A place to ski Mid-March in Bavaria or northern Austria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not necessarily a ski trip, but we are visiting family near Regensburg in March. My DH and DD love to ski, so I thought we might catch a day or two of skiing while there.

The obvious choice would be Garmisch, and we stayed there during the summer two years ago and loved it. But I'm always one to look for something different.

Has anyone skiied near Berchtesgaden or Mittenwald? Are there ski areas just over the border in Austria? We're probably not wanting to go as far as Innsbruck, although it's a lovely town. Also, my 77 year old Uncle will be with us, so we'll need to stay in a 'town' --so he can wander around!

Thanks for any suggestions!
H
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM

If you want to be near Mittenwald you might consider the Zugspitze (access through Garmish).
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:50 PM

The Austrian ski resort closest to Mittenwald would be Seefeld, approximately a 30 minute drive south toward Innsbruck. I have not skied there, but did drive through the area on the way back from skiing at Ischgl a few years ago and it looked to be very nice. A bit of googling should get you plenty of information - my guide books indicate it's a pleasant, somewhat quiet, resort with a nice car-free town center and slopes that are best suited to beginners/intermediates. It's also regarded as the best area for XC skiing in Europe, if not the world.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:35 PM

It there's still enough snow: Reith im Winkl/Steinplatte! It's where the folks from Munich would go.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

First of all, thanks for your responses.

Logos - is there really a chance that there won't be enough snow in mid March? I never considered this. I actually had been looking at Reit im Winkl. Are you speaking from personal experience? How does it compare cost-wise to Garmisch?

Thanks for any info!
H
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 04:17 PM

It's less expensive than Garmisch. Snow can be a problem in mid march. Garmisch is usually worse than Steinplatte. On top of the Zugspitze snow is no problem, but it's quite boring except for "Neue Welt". I am speaking from personal experience. Born in Munich, live in Munich, don't like carving skis.