What to do First Day in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We fly into Paris at 8:30 a.m. and will be staying in the Trocadero metro stop area. We will be tired but obviously don't want to nap then. Any recommendations for that first day? Is there an on and off bus - if so, is there a website for it?
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:57 AM

just decompress and relax. go for a walk, try a cafe, and just soak up Paris. sights will be seen later.

i did this and it's one of my fondest travel memories. no agenda or schedule...which is rare in travel.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM

There is a bus called Paris l'Open Tour - but I don't think it's a particularly good deal. After all, you can jump on and off any city bus or Métro any time for free if you get an RATP transit pass. Here's a map of the major monuments you can download and print out:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...aux&fm=pdf

If you get to CDG on a Wednesday and stay through Sunday, you should think about acquiring a <i>Carte Orange</i> for your transportation. A 5-zone pass will get you from and to CDG plus to Versailles and back plus unlimited bus (including Roissybus), M&eacute;tro, tram, and train rides within the 5 zones shown here:

http://tinyurl.com/edkxb
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Can you drop your bags at the hotel that early? Most hotels will try to accomodate that.

Then you're free to walk, try some new foods at a lovely cafe, get famililar with your &quot;stomping grounds.&quot;

End with a walk in Jardins de Luxembourg or Tuileries and do some people watching.

There is some sort of hop-on hop-off bus but I cannot recall the name. Someone here will be sure to remember.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Well, a fine thing to do is get off at teh Trocadero metro stop, amd walk over to the Palais de Chaillot, walk between the two buildings in the direction of the Seine...and wham, there is the Eiffel Tower. Hang there for a bit, check out the fountains, perhaps cross over to the tower, you could go up, but going up at night is perhaps a better idea.
Likewise the Bateaux Mouches (Seine cruises) are nearby (Right Bank), but I would also recommend a nighttime cruise. Also nearby (Place D'Alma - Right Bank) is the Lady Di tunnel and memorial.

For just browsing, the area around the Eiffel is nice, could go see Napoleon's tomb, but I would also recommend some &quot;cafe time&quot;. Rick Steve's recommended Rue Cler is also near here.

If you stay on the Right Bank, a walk on Rue Georges V, Ave Montaigne, Rue Francois area has some upscale shops, hotels, and lead to Arc de Triomphe/Champs Elysee.

Then again, walking along the Seine is a simple, rewarding stroll too.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Last time DS and I arrived at 6:35am, dropped bags at the hotel (they gave us our room at that time), met Michael Osman's friend Scott (when Michael isn't available to be a guide Scott sometimes will step in for him) in the lobby at 10am and we were off and running.

Took a shower at about 6pm then had dinner at 10pm and went to bed at midnight. Worked perfectly for us to kind of just ignore jetlag although it might not be right for everyone.

Next summer my friends and I will start the trip wandering the shops in St. Germain then finish the day with the evening Fat Tire Bike Tour finishing around 11pm.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:31 AM

I like the area around Trocadero and Passy. There is actually a hopon-hopoff bus top right at place du Trocadero) in front of the Passy cemetery. I know I've seen those buses over there quite a bit. I think they were Les Cars Rouges, but I don't know if Opentour stops there or not. YOu can buy tickets from them at that stop, if you want.

There is lots to do right around that area, actually -- you can visit Passy cemetery (Debussy is buried in there), as well as see the great view of the Eiffel Tower, or visit the two museums there. I really like the Marine Museum, and it's not so big that it will wear you out like some other ones.

YOu can just go for a walk along the Seine or across the bridges to the Eiffel Tower, or just down rue de Passy towards La Muette.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM

My first day in Paris is usually to go to hotel and if room is not ready leave the bags and find a great place for breakfast...I like the Meurice, or go to the Ritz...feels good after that flight. I wander around wherever.

I usually have made a reservation for dinner..an earlyish one for Paris...nice dinner, wine and off to bed early...in the am I am on Paris time and ready to go!!