What to do between Seville and Granada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave for Spain in less than a week, and I'm still undecided on part of my itinerary. Here's what I have:
Day 1 - Arrive in Madrid, take AVE to Cordoba
Day 2 - Cordoba, AVE to Seville in the evening.
Day 3-5 Seville
Day 6 - Pick up rental car, then ?
Day 7 - ?
Day 8 - ?
Day 9 - ? then drop off car in evening in Granada
Day 10 - Granada
Day 11 - Fly back to Madrid
Day 12 - Fly home

As you can see, there's a gap in the middle when I have the rental car. I thought that the first day I might drive to Jerez and see the horses, then spend the night in Arcos. The next day I could head to Ronda, checking out villages on the way. The big question is what do I do the day after that?

I could stay in Ronda another night, but I'm a bit worried about the length of the drive to Granada the next day (I don't want to spend the entire day in the car!) Another alternative is to spend the night somewhere in between, but where? I'd kind of like to see some of the coast. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have hotel reservations for all the other nights, but not the nights that I have the car. I'm counting on the off-season affording me some flexibility in picking a hotel on the fly.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Please, check www.guiacampsa.com for driving directions and routes, you'll see that Granada is 180km / 2'30 hours from Ronda!!!
Stay one night in Arcos in a hotel IN the town (I may suggest the Parador), get up early and walk the town. Then drive to Ronda with stops at Grazalema and Zahara, and up to Algodonales and Ronda, and stay two nights there. Ronda has a lot to see and if you want you can make another less known tour through the chestnut groves, perhaps still in foliage season : taking the road to Marbella, on the right:Alpandeire, Farajan, Juzcar Cartajima and you're back (it is a loop).
When you drive to Granada, if you want to stop along the way, do it at Antequera, another monumental city. As usual, take care with luggage in car when you stop.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
You could drop down to the coast at Malaga & head east. Stay a night or 2 in Nerja, continue east & then north at Salobrena up to Granada. The coast drive is really nice & the drive north is quite picturesque & well worth it.

But then, I like driving.

Ian
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:12 PM

What I mean in my previous post is that Granada is ONLY 2h30min from Ronda, and not a whole day driving.
Ian's is a good suggestion as well. You can change your second night in Ronda for a night in Nerja. Being there you can visit Frigiliana, and some Alpujarras town on the road from Salobreña to Granada.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking about going by way of Nerja, but I was worried about the driving time. How long does it take from Ronda to Granada if you go along the coast? That seems like the more scenic route. Can anyone recommend a place to stay along the way?
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Arcos is a good idea on the way to Ronda. I'll second the Parador. La Casa Grande, just 200 ft or so up the hill from the Parador is a great budget alternative, spacious, with comparable views.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Ian

Sevilla to Nerja is 3 hours. Nerja to Granada about the same. All multi-lane but you do go through a few towns since the freeway ends just east of Nerja. Still multi-laned but lights etc.

Do it in 2 phases with an overnight stop at Paraiso del Mar - a little slice of heavan beside the Parador.

Ian
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Ronda-Marbella-Nerja is almost 3hrs.
Nerja-Salobreña-Granada is not multilane, and it takes 1'30 hrs plus.
It'd be reasonable to do a night in Nerja. There is a Parador here as well.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Ian

Yes Josele, I believe you are right about the road. For the first bit north it was slower until you get to the highway south of Granada. A great scenic drive however.

Here are some pictures of the Paraiso del Mar in Nerja. It is on the bluff, right beside the Parador. In one of the pics, you can see the Parador’s elevator to the beach. The Paraiso had a series of landings on their private stairway up & down. I would stay there again in a flash. I hope this link works . . .

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h3.../Nerja%202005/

Ian
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:52 AM

I agree with Ian; spend a night in Nerja.

Although we rent apartments while in Nerja and have never stayed in the Paraiso del Mar, it would be my first choice of hotels. A little slice of heaven indeed!

Have a wonderful trip!