What to do at Schiphol airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2019, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’ll be landing early in the morning to Schiphol airport and then ultimately hopping on a train for another few hours to our final destination. It seems like Schiphol has a TON of things to do at the airport, but is there anything for those people not in the departure/gate area? I saw there was even a branch of the NEMO science museum there that we are excited about, but will we be able to get over there without having tickets? We have 2 small children and would love to grab breakfast/walk around a bit after getting luggage from our 8 hr flight before hopping right back on the train. Thank you!
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 11:26 AM

It looks like you are heading to Ghent on this trip? And from where are you flying back?
I would not stay at the airport if there is a choice. Why would you not want to head straight to Ghent on arrival? Your children can sleep on the way, and there are more interesting to do in Ghent. If you are not coming back to Amsterdam later, than you can head to Amsterdam Centraal upon landing, leave your luggage at the station and spent time at the actual NEMO museum.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 11:27 AM

Nemo, like the Rijksmuseum, is airside, after security, so once you have collected you baggage you cannot go there. You could go there first and then find your bags afterwards I suppose.
There are shops and places to eat after baggage claim, but sadly the panorama lounge, where you could go watch the planes is closed until the end of this year.
Depending on the gate you arrive at you could have plenty of walking before you get out of the airport!
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think it would be a smart idea to leave your luggage unclaimed and unattended in baggage claim, in order to stay air-side and go to a museum. I'm not understanding you wanting to stay at an airport upon arrival in Europe.

Why don't you want to just continue on to wherever it is you are going? A train ride would be different than being on a plane for the kids. You're catching the train at the airport station? (You don't need to go into Amsterdam?)
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 12:45 PM

Nemo Schiphol is not very big and wouldn't take long, but I agree it wouldn't be a great idea to do it on arrival. It was just a possibility they could consider if they are brave enough.

I would suggest just finding somewhere for breakfast/coffee if you want and then get the train to Belgium if that is where you are heading.
If you are returning to Amsterdam then Nemo in Amsterdam is absolutely worth a visit with kids (or without).
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone! Helpful for sure. The kids will (ideally) have slept on the overnight flight into Amsterdam, so I have a feeling they won’t sleep on a train RIGHT after. We aren't planning on staying very long at the airport, but want to allow some time in case we need to get legs woken up a bit and some energy out before sitting back down again on the train. If the kids are up for it we’ll definitely hop right on the train to Belgium, just trying to get some backup plans ready just in case! We definitely don’t want to leave our checked luggage unattended at all either and are going to head there right away.

Ok, so since it seems like all the cool stuff will be for the return flight home, but there are food places to at least get a little something to eat, right? Another option might be to hop right on the train and get off at our first stop (most likely Rotterdam station) to walk around and get a bite. I haven’t looked into Rotterdam at all, so I’m going to dive into the Fodors archives to learn quick, haha! Unless you guys shoot that idea down right away...

I’ve been watching the panorama terrace construction for months and was SO disappointed when the end date changed from middle of the summer to the end of the year That would have been perfect! We’re also planning on hitting NEMO when we come back to Amsterdam.

Last edited by kalikiana; Jul 10th, 2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 08:03 PM

Of course, there are places to eat in and out of the secure area at Schiphol. I have eaten at Schiphol many times as I go thorough there several times a year. I would not choose to eat there if I have a choice.
I am not sure if you have computed timing.
If you are arriving, say around 8:30am, it would be at or even before the lunch time when you arrive in Ghent (presuming that is where you are going based on other threads). If you are flying 8 hrs, they would feed you breakfast around one hour before landing unless you are flying on a budget airline. There should be a notation on your flight itinerary if they serve meals. If you don't skip the pre-landing meals, are you ready to eat breakfast again before lunch? Rotterdam is not even half an hour from Schiphol. It not clear why you would want to make a stop after an 8 hour flight with luggage and children in tow when you can get to your destination just in time for lunch without adding any luggage management hassles. If you still insist on stopping on the way, the station you need to change the train, if any, would make a rational stop when you have to get off the train from Schiphol there anyway. If you are traveling with large luggage, the large lockers tend to be taken first. Last year, I had to change trains at Brussels Zuid. I used that stop to drink beer on tap and ate a light meal at a cafe nearby without adding to the overall trip time. A two-for-one opportunity.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

We land very early so there is no breakfast served on our flight, hence the need to get food after we land. It’s helpful to know that we can grab a quick bite but not much else at the airport and not much else after baggage claim.

I think I somehow have given everyone the impression that I WANT to interrupt our trip with these odd stops, instead of being thoughtful of if we NEED to stop. Of course I would prefer to get to our destination as soon as possible, but with a toddler and baby in tow (with light luggage for those asking about luggage), I’m trying my best to consider any options in case they need a break from being confined on an 8 hour flight and another 3 hour train ride. Thank you all for your help!