Reload this Page >

amsterdam airport

Search

amsterdam airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:28 AM
jen

amsterdam airport

We may be in a situation where we will have about 5 and a half hours between flights in and out of the Amsterdam airport. Is it possible to go into Amsterdam and do anything in this length of time? How would be the best way to do this, if possible? Thanks!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:46 AM
Daniel

No problem. There are 7 trains an hour from Schiphol to Amsterdam Centraal. Journey time between 14 and 20 minutes.<BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:47 AM
just

You could leave your luggage at the airport. Take the train to Centraal Station ( I believe it only takes about 20min.). The station is within very short walks to: canal cruises, coffee(read pot)shops and even red light district if that's something that interests you. It's actually quite interesting to walk through it. There are some great restaurants, bars around as well. <BR>Also, Schipol Airport is one of the better airports. It has great deal of shopping and restaurants. One could easily spend 5 hours just checking things out.<BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:52 AM
just

I'm not sure where you will be coming from and where will be your final destination, but if you're coming from US and let's say traveling to Italy, you will have to go through customs and immigration if you want to see the city. If Schipol is just a transfer airport and you stay within the terminal you will have to do all of the immigration stuff at your final destination. It's no big deal either way, but I thought I mention it.<BR>Again, have a great trip!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
Greg

You have the option of a 20 minute train ride into the dirty Centraal Station in Amsterdam(beware seedy area) then walk down the Damrak to the Dam square(good wax museum & shops on Kalverstraat/Rokin) and then turn left toward the canals to visit Anne Frank's house which is located after crossing the Herrengrach & Keisersgracht(canals).<BR>For less than $40 you can take a taxi from the airport directly to the humongous Rijksmuseum if you are into dutch masters like Rembrant & Vermeer.<BR>I assume you're the Jen that answered my St Tropez question, glad to be able to return your favor.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
xxxx

You will have to go through customs and immigration at Schiphol regardless of whether or not it is your final destination, as long as you are transferring to another EU city. I just went through Schiphol on my way to Paris. Customs appears to be very efficeint here, so it doesn't take long to go through, and you should be on your way to Centraal Station in no time.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:13 AM
just

xxxx - I stand corrected<BR>Greg - seedy??? , my experince, very safe and interesting.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Greg

I must have an incorrect bias about Centraal Station. Truthfully,I haven't been to the station in over two decades. Three years ago when we were in Amsterdam with our kids I never walked north beyond the Dam square. I have an uncle that used to tell me that it was a dangerous area when I was a young teenager. Somehow I remember my cousin taking me through the red light district all the way to a run down central station. Definitely a prejudice that I need to revisit.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:02 AM
christina

Seedy would be fairly accurate, depending on what you're used to. I personally, would not spend much time hanging out near Centraal, I saw more strange people hanging around outside the station then I have seen in 18 months living in Germany and traveling to other countries..... I think there's something in the pot there!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
just

I did not say to hang around Centraal, but short walks from there will take you to some intersting spots. Or, if you want a inexpensive way to see the city, catch tram #20 from the station as it goes in a circle and comes right back to the station. It gets you close to the city's main attractions.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:10 AM
just

It gets you close to MANY of the city's main attractions.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:06 PM
jen

Take the #2 or #5 tram from in front of the Central Station after buying a 'Strippenkaart' inside the station. This long blue ticket will give you and your travelling mates about 7 rides (total)within the central area of Amsterdam. Ask someone how to stamp it inside the tram or present it to the conductor when you get in. The Van Gogh museum, the Rijksmuseum and the Stedelijk museum are close together, about an 8-minute ride from the train station. Or take a canal boat tour - the boats leave about 50 yards from the train station.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 02:47 AM
Sjoerd

I live in Amsterdam and travel via Central Station at least twice a week. It is *not* seedy. Beware of pickpockets, just like in very big city all over the world, and you'll be safe.