4 hrs in Schiphol

Dec 15th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

4 hrs in Schiphol

Friend is transiting through Schiphol schengen-to-schengen and she has 4 hours. Will she have time to train to Amsterdam and sightsee for a couple of hours? I said that it would be quite tight but I really don't have any experience leaving an airport for a few hours to sightsee the city so I need advice. Thanks.
Dec 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM

The train to Centraal Station takes 20 minutes (once it departs). Assuming an average of 30 min. each way, and factoring in the arrival time and the departure time, it doesn't leave much time in Amsterdam. But if someone would rather have a glimpse than hang in the airport they could play it by ear.

Schiphol is one of the most interesting airports in Europe. If they have to stay there they won't be totally bored.
Dec 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Your friend won't have "a couple of hours". First walks from/to the gate may take easily 10min, as Schipol is a fairly large airport, though I found the signage is excellent. She will may have to wait for a train maybe up to 10min or so. Considering she'll need to clear the security back at the aiport and be at the gate 45min or so before (minimum), she may have about 1hr or so maximum. Still this leaves enough time to walk around, maybe catch one of the trams, or have a coffe and pastry (Amsterdam is known for apple tarts). Also she also needs to consider a probability of incoming flight being delayed.
She may be interested to know that Schipol has good amenities, including a small-ish art exhibition (a branch of one of of Fine Arts Museum).
Dec 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM

It is too tight. The piers could be next to each other or at opposite ends of the airport. If they are flying on a cheapie airline then the piers are quite a hike from the train station, a good 15-20 minutes. Travelling into Amsterdam and back will take an hour. They have to be back to re-clear security an hour before departure to be on the safe side.

There is plenty to do within the airport, lot of shops, good cafes, the small Rijksmuseum Schiphol. They could even go landside to the shops there and look around - they are a different selection to airside.
Dec 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Hello JoyC, here is the official website for the airport. Up at the very top right corner is the box for "Chose Language"..where you can click on the English language version.

Personally I wouldn't even consider leaving the airport with 4 hours..as it will not probably be 4 hours once she gets off the plane and due to having to get back through security etc. Like others I love Schiphol Airport! She can freshen up, have some kind of a drink, have something to eat, go through the various shops etc. She will find that her short time at Schiphol will go by very fast. It is a beautiful and very user friendly airport.

http://www.schiphol.nl/
Dec 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM

I agree 4 hours is not long enough to leave. Last time I was there security was a hassle and slow.
Dec 16th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions....I'll pass them along to her!!
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Agreeing w/ posts above: 1) it's not long enough to leave but 2) fortunately Schiphol is an interesting airport.

Dec 16th, 2007, 08:31 AM

We left and took the train into Amsterdam last year with about a 6 or 7 hour layover. We felt rushed and were constntly checking our watches to make sure it wasn't time to get back on the train and head on back. We didn't stop for even a cup of coffee but just walked around the area. It was definitly a nice break after a long flight, but 4 hours is cutting it too short.