WHAT TO DO AND SEE IN MALAGA!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although we stay within a short drive of Malaga we have never spent much time in the city.Too many other options I guess. We would appreciate any suggestions on things to do and see in the city proper. We are recently retired and have been to the surrounding area for many years of vacation..We now have five weeks so can take our time.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:59 AM

You can visit the Gibralfaro, the fortress above the city. You can walk. There have been rare reports of robbery so some say you should take the bus. There is a nice view of the city from the fortress. <BR><BR>The on-and-off red double decker buses costs 11 euros which is more than if you buy the 80 euro cent tickets on the regular bus. There may even be a lower fare for old age pensioners.<BR><BR>The half finished cathedral is interesting. The 2nd tower was never completed.<BR><BR>I had an enjoyable trip to Melilla, which is can be reached by ferry from the Estacion Maritima (ferry station). Iberia/Air Nostrum sometimes has last minute internet fares of 70 euros return to Melilla.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Attn. Hiroshi<BR>Is Melilla a day trip? Or is there enough to see to stay a couple of days? How much does the ferry cost return.Are there Morocco toures that start at Melill.....thanks
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:59 AM

1. It is a day trip only on Monday (by ferry/air). You can take an overnight ferry from, Malaga (Sunday only, other days the ferry leaves during the day). Upon arrival Monday, you can see Melilla during the day and return around 5 p.m. by air. It is also a day trip if you fly both ways. If you take the ferry, you have to stay overnight because the only ferry leaves soon after it arrives in Melilla.<BR>2. The ferry costs about 27 euros, more if you want a cabin (bed). The cabins get reserved quickly. <BR>3. The ferry company is Trasmediterranea (not Trans). They have a website. If you reserve a ticket, you must buy it in person within 1 day. They only have agents in major European cities, none in North America or Asia. It is possible (maybe not) that a travel agent in your home country may help.<BR>3. There are quite a few men and taxi drivers who will offer you a tour in Morocco. There is not much to see in the border town of Beni Enzar (also Beni Anzar). There is an unmarked bus for 2.20 (about 25 euro cents) to Nador, a city of 100,000 about 15 km away. If you are from Europe or North American or Japan, you may be shocked at what you see. It appears to be poorer than the town of Nogales, Mexico (where I also visited once). There are lots of crowds. There is so much prosperity in Western Europe and the US which is why I think Moroccans like the USA despite their hatred of US support of Israeli control of Gaza and the West Bank.<BR>4. You can see Melilla in 1 full day. If you like to slowly see things, see everything, or eat a slow lunch and breakfast, then it will take 2 days.<BR>5. I met some very nice Spanish soliders (a man and a woman) when I was lost and approached their guard post.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Any other comments ?