Search

What time to leave for Venice Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What time to leave for Venice Airport

Hi...

I am hoping someone has an opinion. Family of 6 will be ending our Italy trip from Venice. We are staying one night at the Hotel Marconi by the Rialto Bridge and need to know what time to leave the hotel to make it safely to the airport by 8:45 am for a 10:45 flight?

And...recommendations for the best way to get to the airport.

Thanks!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 02:33 AM

Hi Chan - Unless you want to go to the expense of a water taxi your best plan would be ... vaporetto from Rialto to Piazzale Roma - from where you can catch the Airport shuttle bus (- € 3)

You'd need to catch the 07.50 bus from Piazzale Roma.
http://www.atvo.it/orari/pdf_airport/mpolovenezia.pdf

Your hotel will be able to advise how long to allow to get to Piazzale Roma - it's about a 15-mins boat ride from Rialto.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:20 AM
ira

Hi CB,

It will cost about 50E to take the vaporetto and a bus.

A water taxi can collect you all at the Marconi and take you to the airport for about 85E.

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Ira-I hardly think it will take 50 Euro! You made a typo.

The vaporetto ride from Rialto to Piazzale Roma will be 6 Euro, I think, plus the airport shuttle bus fare (however, if you have a Travel Card, or a Venice Card that covers your last day, you won't pay anything for vaporetto or bus).
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Girlspy--There are 6 people traveling.

6 euros (vaporetto)
+ 3 euros (express bus)
= 9 euros per person.

9 euros
x 6 people
= 54 euros

(The local bus costs 1 euro I think, but that would still total 42 euros)

True, if they still have valid Travel Cards they could make the trip for free or just the 3 euro express bus fee.

I think the extra 30 euros for moving 6 people to the airport by private boat, without all the conecting, would be a worthwhile expense.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:24 AM

So, even with a family of 6, it is not difficult at all to go from Rialto on the vaporetto to Pze. Roma, and then transfer to the bus, it couldn't be easier. As stated, it's free if they have the Venice card covering their travel day. No use wasting money when the transfer is not difficult.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:50 AM

I think it depends on the family . . .
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:10 AM

What airline?

Our hotel told us it was unnecessary to leave way early for flight out of Venice, because the airport is small. Small it may be, so you don't need tons of time to get to the gates. But when we were there, British Airways only had 2 lines open to check in hundreds of people, so we needed every second of the two hours we had.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Personally if it was me unless your budget is really tight ChanB I would take the private taxi boat to the airport. With a family of 6 that would be such a lovely and relaxing way to end your visit in Venice.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:40 AM

When we arrive in Venice from the train station, we tookd the vaporetto, then walked to our hotel, lugging our bags up and down the stairs of sevearl bridges. We had packed one 22" bag per person, plus we had filled two duffles with dirty clothes so our purchases could take up suitcase space, plus each person had a blackpack plus a carry on. I couldn't stand the thought of schlepping all that on departure, so I thought the money for the water taxi was well spent.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi...

Thank you for all your responses...I appreciate the info.

I think I might choose to take the easy way and go to the airport via Water Taxi! For 6 of us the price just isn't that much more. And as Loveitaly said...the boat ride will be a lovely and relaxing way to end the trip. Sounds wonderful...especially as we will only be in Venice for one night and one day!

Via water taxi...we'll need about an hour to get to the airport?

Thank you all!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Missypie...

Great to see you on my post! We're the family staying in the Michelangelo at the Florence Ciompi apts!

We are flying Swiss Air.

Is "lugging" all of our stuff through the streets of Venice the best way to get to the hotel? We will be driving in from Florence...dropping the rental car and hopefully be heading into Venice by 8-9 am.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:37 AM

If you're by the Rialto Bridge, you won't have too far to "lug" if you arrive by vaporetto. Just remember that the bridges are steps, not remps, so you actually have to lift, rather than roll, your luggage. But you may luck out and have no bridges at all.

Had it been near the beginning of our trip rather than the end, we probably would have not paid the money for the water taxi. In Rome (still full of energy), we rolled our luggage to the taxi stand rather than having a private service pick us up, to save about 20 euro. But by the time we were ready to go home, I wanted a few creature comforts.

You'll enjoy your Florence apartment!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Another ?...since we'll only be in Venice for a day and night should I set up some sort of city tour...maybe for the afternoon or should we just wander and see what we see? Ideas for a great last night it Italy dinner or activity for the 6 of us?

Thanks!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Chan-the Hotel Marconi is RIGHT on the Grand Canal-you won't have to schlepp your bags anywhere-if you were staying other than on the Grand Canal, that might be more difficult-but all you have to do is roll your bags on to the vaporetto at Rialto and off at Pze. Roma, and then 100 yards away is the bus-but it's your money.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi Girlspytravel...

Thanks for the scoop. I know nothing about the area. So we just go back over the bridge and walk a bit and jump on a bus that takes us right to the airport?

You seem to know what you are talking about. Do you like that area/hotel...on the Grand Canal? We have older children...22, 21, 19 & 15 so I want them to have access to "stuff to do" even if hubby and I need to hit the sack early.

Thanks again for the help.
Chan
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:35 PM

They will love that area-for a day and a half, it is the place to be-you're right next to the Rialto bridge, where you can shop, you can get up in the morning and walk over to the ancient fruit and fish market to take pictures-there's all the shopping and great little wine bars/restaurants -BANCOGIRO-right on the other side of the Rialto from Marconi Hotel, also, Cantina do Mori. This Campo the Campo San Giacometto, right behind the fruit and fish market comes alive at night with young people, socializing, having a wine, or dining in the restaurants. It's a very fun and lively place to be in the evening-and it's just a few minutes walk from your hotel.

You can walk to San Marco if you want, or take the vaporetto down to go to the Palazzo Ducale, and I would try to to go to Ca Rezzonico, which is about 3 stops down from Rialto-it's magnificent, and you want to see what one of those palazzos look like, the paintings and the gorgeously ornate interior. There is a garden and a small cafe there. In a day and a half, I think you can see all those things.