What order should we do to see…?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to visit to the following places. We will be coming from Lindau and have a car.
In what order should we do them?
What is the minimum time to allow for each?
What can we see in one day ie. 2 or 3 castles?
Finally, we would like to do the traveling via scenic roads if possible and would you have any other places to add?

Neushwanstein
Hohenschwangau
Linderhof
Herrencheimesee & lake ride
Salt Mines
Ice Caves
Eagles Nest
Zugspitze
Oberammergau
Helbrunn palace
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
anyone?
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Topping for Lydia. I need this info as well.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 09:40 AM

lydia--what time of the year will you be traveling? How long do you have? Are you just 2 adults, or are there children, too?

Generally, Hohenschwangau, Neuschwanstein, and Linderhof can be seen in one day if you start early and it's not the middle of winter--especially if you make advance reservations over the internet for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:57 AM

I would group the 3 castles (Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, and Hohenschwangau) with Oberammergau because all of them are west of Munich.

Herrenchiemsee is on an island near a place called Prien between Munich and Salzburg.

Schloss Hellbrunn is in a suburb of Salzburg and I would consider it local to Salzburg because it can be reached by city bus.

The others are in the vicinity of Salzburg and would be considered day trips. Berchtesgaden is fairly long train ride for such a short distance because of the frequent stops; it is a local train and stops at every small station.

The salt mines are interesting to some, but not to the people who suffer from claustrophobia.

Schloss Hellbrunn is famous for its trick fountains. These are marvels of hydraulic engineering, particularly when one considers when they were built.

And, rotting somewhere on the grounds, is the shabby gazebo used in the Sound of Music. I heard recently that the floor was in bad shape, and access to it was restricted. That may or may not be true.

I saw it, and was disappointed. It was quite small and probably looked better in the dark.

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM
J62

The best thing to do is to buy a road map of Bavaria, lay it out on a table, and mark each of the locations you want to visit. Salzburg will probably be on the map, as it's right on the border.

As Bob points out, there will be a logical grouping west to east.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

"lydia--what time of the year will you be traveling? How long do you have? Are you just 2 adults, or are there children, too?"

We will be there the end of September. Just husband and myself. After visiting this area we are heading toward Venice. We will have about 7 days in the area of the places I have stated. I'm just not sure of where to go when and how much time to allot for each of the sights we want to see.

We will have a car and will not be taking trains, hence the request for a scenic route to see the sights.