Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Daytrip From Munich - Salzburg or Innsbruck?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Julie

Was wondering what your opinions are of which place is 'better' to do a daytrip to?<BR>I will be taking the train and both cities are similar in terms of travel time.<BR>I am leaning towards Innsbruck, but you help would be appreciated!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:21 PM
gina

Salzburg is by far the better choice. Any way you can stay there for more than a day? There really isn't much in Innsbruck and then you would have missed out on how beautiful Salzburg is. I would also recommend a day trip to Neuschwanstein. That's an easy trip from Munich.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:25 PM
joe

My vote would be for Salzburg.So much more to see and do.Much larger and more interesting historic core and several wonderful churches.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:45 PM
mike

IMO Salzburg hands down. Been to both a few times and haven't really seen much in Innsbruck that is calling me back. Salzburg on the other hand has a great fortness (castle) a neat old town and great places to eat and drink. Take a tour of the Sound of Music. Many people on this site recommend it. My first trip to Salzburg was in 1968 (not much talk of the Sound of Music) and when we returned in the 90's we thought Julie Andrews could run for Mayor. I guess no matter where you pick you'll have a great time. Your on vacation.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Bob Brown

I think Salzburg is the preferred objective of those discussed here.<BR>I liked the fortress of Hohensalzburg, Schloss Heilbrunn, the Marionetten Theater, and, if you can do it, the tour of the Festspielhaus where the music festival is held.<BR>Just walking around the town has its interesting features as well because of the many churches and shops. Some of the churches are beautiful.<BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Bob

Salzburg....no question. It is a beautiful town and setting and very close to Berchtesgaden and all it has to offer.<BR><BR>We have been to Innsbruck 4 or 5 times and still not that fond of it. The old town area is okay, but can be covered pretty quickly as it is mostly shops. We were there in December for the Christmas market and it was nice, but we left after about three hours.<BR><BR>Learn from the posters above: Salzburg if you have to pick only one.