Search

What next while in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:11 AM
loc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What next while in Rome?

I am treating myself to a few days in Rome at the end of a visit to family in Tuscania. I have already been wowed by the following on former visits and am curious what you all think I missed that is truly wonderful. And that of course is assuming anything in Rome is fabulous!! Coloseum, Roman Forum, Spanish Steps, major fountains in their respective piazzas, Vatican, Pantheon, Campo di Fiori. I am thinking Museo Borghese is a must? Thanks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:57 AM

When talking about Rome, if you didn't go to a place, you missed something truly wonderful.

What about these:
* Ostia Antica
* Tivoli/Hadrian's Villa
* Ghetto
* Testaccio (real Roman neighborhood)
* Viterbo
* Baths of Caracalla
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:01 AM

Galleria Borghese is definitely a must.

I hear there are also a lot of churches in Rome...
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:15 AM

Galleria Borghese, Palazzo Barberini and the Doria Pamphili would be good choices for viewing more wonderful works of art. If you want lovely views of the city, I can recommend standing at the top of Castel Sant'Angelo or going to the top of The Vittoriano (the Victor Emmanuel monument building). If you manage to get to the top of Castel Sant'Angelo at sunset, it's simply amazing. The Capitoline Museums are also wonderful.

If you go to the Galleria Borghese, I would recommend booking reservations online. You will be able to print out a confirmation; the day of your visit, take your printed confirmation and you will be given tickets. Each ticket is good for a specifically-timed 2 hour visit.

There are indeed 900 Catholic Churches in Rome; after several trips there, I still have a lenghty list of churches I would like to visit. I would also like to get to the Synagogue.

The catacombs are another option, and there are several in/around Rome. In your earlier trip to the Vatican, did you do the Scavi tour? This is another possibility for you if you haven't done it before.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:39 AM

the Borghese is DEFINITELY a must.
like bookchick said, reserve online, but then when you get there, pay a few euro extra for the guided tour. I thought it was wonderful!

have fun!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:12 AM

If your trip is before 12/31/07, I highly recommend the Domus Aurea, Nero's Golden House near the Coloseum. It has been open since June '07, but I've heard it will close for more renovation at the end of the year.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:42 AM

Here's another vote for Galleria Borghese.

Some other wonderful churches:
Sant' Andrea al Quirinale on Via del Quirinale - an absolute gem!

Santa Maria della Vittorio on the corner of Via S. D. Susanna & Via 20 Settembre for Berlini's Ecstasy of St. Theresa, plus the church itself is amazing.

SS Quatro Coronati on Via d. SS Quattro, was an ancient monastery, great frescoes. You can just "feel" the age.

Santa Cecilia in Trastavere - wonderful church, but the real highlight is down in the crypt, walk to end for an absolute amazing mosaic chapel.

Gesu, on Piazza d. Gesu, corner of Via d. Plebiscito - spectacular.

These are just a few.

Go to Volpetti's on Via Marmorata in the Aventine for wonderful cheese (and sausage, although you can't take that home).

From there, you can walk up Via d. Polione and Via de Porta Lavernale to
San Anselmo, which has beautiful grounds, you will feel like you're in the country. A beautiful walk. Around the corner from San Anselmo is the Key of Malta, where you can look through the keyhole to see St. Peter's across the city. You can continue on to San Alessio and San Sabina.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM

I agree with previous posters that the Borghese is a must. Definitely book online in advance (I also had a lovely time strolling around the Borghese gardens as well).

My favorite place was the Forum in the early morning when no one was around. My second favorite was the Santa Maria della Vittorio where I saw Bernini's Ecstasy of St. Teresa. The church is defintely beautiful. The first time I got there in the afternoon, it was closed (from 1:00-4:30 or something like that). I went back the next day really in the morning and had the whole place to myself for a good 30 minutes. Just beautiful!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM

The Borghese is a mandatory stop but given the 2 hour timeframe for your visit either be prepared or use a guide(we used Context Rome)-also go to San Clemente church near the Coliseum-it is a three-level, three century visit back to 1st C. Rome. Lastly, for great art, St.Louis Francese & Santa Maria Popolo for the Caravaggios-you will never forget them. Good luck
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM

The ruins below the church of San Clemente are fascinating. The church is located at Piazza San Clemente, just south of the Coliseum. Open Mon-Sat 9a-12:30p & 3p-6p; Sun 12n-5p. 5e entry.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:11 AM

The Palatine
Via Appia Antica
Gianicolo (Janiculum)--go to the top for the view of Rome, then walk downhill to Fontana dell'Acqua Paola and St. Petro in Montorio with the Tempietto

Trastevere,then over Isola Tiberina to the ghetto neighborhood (or vice versa)

via Giulia
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:50 AM

You've been given some great ideas. There are enough churches to keep you happy and busy for many, many visits to Rome. Have you done a Scavi tour under St. Peter's Basilica? You might want to do a pilgrimage of the Seven Churches of Rome--St. Peter's, San Giovanni Laterano, St Paul Outside the Walls, San Lorenzo Outside the Walls, Santa Croce in Gerusaleme, Santa Maria Maggiore and San Sebastiano at the catacombs.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:52 AM
loc
Original Poster

Grazie mille al tutti!! I think I now need to visit Rome at least a dozen times more!!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM

When we were in Rome in late February/early March I picked up a pamphlet called the Streets of Rome at the tourist office. It describes in great detail the sights you will see along 13 historic streets in Rome. The style is a little pedantic but there's lots of interesting information, and you will be walking on/near most of these streets during your visit.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Here is a thread on 100 best things to do in Rome that might give you other good ideas
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443219